All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Disc-based games (Wii, GameCube, TG16, PS, etc.)

tabascoman77

So I've almost gots me a working multicade setup in PBX for my son for his upcoming birthday.

I knocked out all cartridge-based emulators like NES, SNES, Genesis, NDS, Atari 2600, etc. Those are pretty easy. Yeah...give me a harder challenge next time, I said...

And then, like...I happened upon GameCube and Wii and PS and TG-16.

The first one I am tackling is Dolphin and Wii/GameCube. The roms are all in NKit format...for some reason. I have zero idea how that happened. They were all ISO's at one point. Now they're NKit files. Anyhow, the emulator launches fine, but Dolphin kicks back an error telling me the rom doesn't exist, which is odd because it does exist and Dolphin can launch it without PBX. The rom path is fine.

My parameters might be the culprit: "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].nkit".

Go easy on me. I'm the dude who somehow figured out Daphne and TeknoParrot and even how to run Mario Kart Arcade...so I'm not totally daft...

Please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files fromn right after the ROM launch failure. Thanks! Also, please confirm the file extension from the ROM. You may need to enable File name extensions in Windows Explorer if not already done.

image.png

Out of curiousity, why PinballX vs GameEx or GameEx Arcade Edition?

For anyone interested in a little more information about the file format - What is an NKIT file?

4 minutes ago, tabascoman77 said:

I dunno...I've always used PBX vs. GameEx...go figure. I have to sleep...will pick this up in a few hours...

PinballX.ini 15.41 kB · 0 downloads log.txt 3.11 kB · 1 download

Fair enough! You are not the first and I can see its use that way.

3 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:
01:21:07.06  9/19/2024:  C:\Flynns\Dolphin-x64\Dolphin.exe "C:\Flynns\roms\wii\GoldenEye 007 (USA) (En,Fr).nkit.nkit"

I think log says enough. Remove the .nkit from your parameter line

Possibly change it to "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].*.nkit.iso" ?

Let us know if removing .nkit fixes the issue for you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Fair enough! You are not the first and I can see its use that way.

Possibly change it to "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].*.nkit.iso" ?

Let us know if removing .nkit fixes the issue for you.

@Mike_da_Spike, @Draco1962 - The parameter "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].iso" fixed it and it seems to work...I just need help now with the remaining disc systems like PS, PS2, and TG-16.

I will start with Symphony of the Night on PlayStation.

EDIT: Files posted.

PinballX.ini log.txt

21 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

@Mike_da_Spike, @Draco1962 - The parameter "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].iso" fixed it and it seems to work...I just need help now with the remaining disc systems like PS, PS2, and TG-16.

I will start with Symphony of the Night on PlayStation.

EDIT: Files posted.

PinballX.ini 8.09 kB · 0 downloads log.txt 3.22 kB · 0 downloads

Whats the error you get ?

Issue is not pinballx, but the way you launch it.

Pinballx just launch what you put in the parameters. 

First try to get it to work outside pinballx

1. Open Command Prompt:

- Press `Win + R`, type `cmd`, and press Enter.

2. Navigate to the Emulator Directory:

- Use the `cd` command to navigate to the folder where `psxfin.exe` is located. For example:

cd C:\path\to\psxfin
psxfin.exe "path\to\your\game.iso"

3. Launch the Emulator with the CD Image:

- Use the following command to launch the emulator with your CD image:

- Replace `"path\to\your\game.iso"` with the actual path to your CD image file.

If this is functioning properly, you can add it to PinballX. If not, please rectify the issue in an appropriate manner.

Edited by Mike_da_Spike
edit text and set steps to bold (makes it easier to read and can be used for other emulators as well)
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Whats the error you get ?

Issue is not pinballx, but the way you launch it.

Pinballx just launch what you put in the parameters. 

First try to get it to work outside pinballx

1. **Open Command Prompt**:

- Press `Win + R`, type `cmd`, and press Enter.

2. **Navigate to the Emulator Directory**:

- Use the `cd` command to navigate to the folder where `psxfin.exe` is located. For example:

cd C:\path\to\psxfin

3. **Launch the Emulator with the CD Image**:

- Use the following command to launch the emulator with your CD image:

- Replace `"path\to\your\game.iso"` with the actual path to your CD image file.

If this is functioning properly, you can add it to PinballX. If not, please rectify the issue in an appropriate manner.

I got PSX to work. Just gotta try out PS2 and TG-16, then I'm golden.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tabascoman77 said:

Here's something I DO need help with...I have other emulators set up to display their windows in fullscreen...how do I get some of these to show up in fullscreen? The fullscreen parameters don't seem to work with all emulators.

Did you get the other emulators working with the correct command line for this thread? 

As this is a different issue than originally submiited in this thread, I will ask that you open a new thread with updated copies of pinballx.ini & log.txt files attached, and specific emulators NOT launching fullscreen. Thanks!

@Draco1962 - I will start something else about fullscreen windows. For now...is there an easy way to get TG-16 games working? I really only need one game: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, which appears to run off a CD. I have the Sys3 PCE card bios already and the game. They work in RetroArch. I haven't successfully been able to get another TG-16 emulator running at all except for RA.

To play TurboGrafx-16 (TG-16) emulator games from the command line, you can use an emulator like Mednafen, which is known for its accuracy and command-line interface. 

Same as above, first test from commandline if this is working :

• Navigate to Mednafen Directory:

Use the cd command to change to the directory where you extracted Mednafen. For example:

cd path/to/mednafen

• Run the Emulator with Your Game:

Use the following command to start the emulator with your game:

mednafen path/to/your/game.pce

For CD games, you might need to specify the .cue file:

mednafen path/to/your/game.cue

If the games are launching fine from command line,you can add them to pinballx 

11 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

To play TurboGrafx-16 (TG-16) emulator games from the command line, you can use an emulator like Mednafen, which is known for its accuracy and command-line interface. 

Same as above, first test from commandline if this is working :

• Navigate to Mednafen Directory:

Use the cd command to change to the directory where you extracted Mednafen. For example:

cd path/to/mednafen

• Run the Emulator with Your Game:

Use the following command to start the emulator with your game:

mednafen path/to/your/game.pce

For CD games, you might need to specify the .cue file:

mednafen path/to/your/game.cue

If the games are launching fine from command line,you can add them to pinballx 

I am assuming it's on a per-game basis in the parameters?

Below is a great resource for GameEx users that may provide clues for setting up commands for emulators via PinballX:

The parameter "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].que " may be sufficient, or part of what you'll need to launch it. Give it a try.

9 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Below is a great resource for GameEx users that may provide clues for setting up commands for emulators via PinballX:

The parameter "[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE].que " may be sufficient, or part of what you'll need to launch it. Give it a try.

Perfect! That works...by the way...how many game lists/groups are allowed in PBX? I tried adding TG-16 as a group but it isn't showing up in my lists anymore...

18 minutes ago, tabascoman77 said:

Perfect! That works...by the way...how many game lists/groups are allowed in PBX? I tried adding TG-16 as a group but it isn't showing up in my lists anymore...

I thought in settings to 60 systems, but could be manually extended to 100.