All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Sinden lightguns

Tom Speirs

Two shipped to me today. ill hopefully follow up with a touchplay setup with two players. Touchplay was designed for lightguns but not tested with them.

The sinden lightguns are on general release now. I was not a part of the crowdfunding. I ordered a week ago and they were shipped today. They come from the UK so may even be here tomorrow, if not Monday, depending on what the posties are up to.

I'm thinking model 2, dreamcast, and MAME Nintendo VS. Doubt ill mess with PS 2, maybe tecknoparrot.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2022 at 8:19 AM, tthurman said:

Am I just blatantly missing something, and what purpose does the arcade pedal serve?

I memory serves, I believe the pedal is used for things like ducking behind cover, or quick reloading.  The page description says it's for games like TimeCrisis (Which I owned with an original Namco GunCon controller for PS1).  The game is "on the rails" but has "scenes" of action with random pop-up baddies to shoot.  When you need to duck into cover, you had to press a button on the side of the gun.  I imagine the pedal would replace that, and was a feature in the original arcade vs. the home version (that didn't come with a pedal).

I'm very tempted to buy one of these myself.  I just got a nice bonus at work and can afford it.  Just want to know how well it is.  @Tom did you buy the recoil model?

I had a Menacer for the Sega Genesis.  Used it to play Mad Dog McCree on Sega CD (awesome).  We also had a couple of cheap knock-off guns.  A friend of ours growing up had an NES with a light gun and we played DuckHunt A LOT.  It's definitely a cool peripheral to have and a lot of games are just missing from your collection without it.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty curious if it os working fine as well. Wanted to order it during the crowd funding, but never get to it.

I barely dont play on my arcade, but some games with light gun would be a nice to have

If you have setup all @Tom Speirs, I expect a noce video with you and the gun in action.

Or you planning to make the gameex application to work with it ?

• 1 month later...

I'm still waiting for my delivery.  I ordered it right after I posted about considering it.  I wasn't aware it had been "mass produced" until now, so I'm late on the bandwagon.  But, like I said, still waiting.  It was listed as "shipped" but the Royal Mail whose handling the shipping had not updated to say they'd even received it for about 3 weeks.  I reached out to the Sinden staff and they reassured me it had been shipped but might have been scanned into the Royal Mail system yet.  The, as luck would have it, the very next day Royal Mail updated and said they were going to have delays because they're going on strike.  So.. Sinden wrote out a message to everybody that delays were expected now, and they're going to try to find alternative shipping people going forward.  However, I'm still sitting here waiting.  The website updated about a week ago saying it has been received now, but is still "in transit", and hasn't left Europe yet.  I'm in no rush, waiting patiently.  But it kinda sucks I ordered it almost 2 months ago and it's still in the originating country.

• 2 months later...

Wow, these are cool.  I sunk a pretty penny into my AimTrak Light Guns from Ultimarc.  I’d love to not need the light bar and have a bit more accuracy.  Might be a future upgrade.

On a separate note, what version of MAME gave support to Time Crisis?  I must’ve been asleep at the wheel when that happened.  

Does anyone know how the pedal sends command activity to MAME?  Is it just a simple button press?  Is it something where you could use a gerrymandered push button setup and program it to a key stroke?  

5 hours ago, MNMax21 said:

Wow, these are cool.  I sunk a pretty penny into my AimTrak Light Guns from Ultimarc.  I’d love to not need the light bar and have a bit more accuracy.  Might be a future upgrade.

On a separate note, what version of MAME gave support to Time Crisis?  I must’ve been asleep at the wheel when that happened.  

Does anyone know how the pedal sends command activity to MAME?  Is it just a simple button press?  Is it something where you could use a gerrymandered push button setup and program it to a key stroke?  

Looks like it can be programmed to a keypress according to the Arcade Pedal page.

What games besides Time Crisis can leverage this type of pedal to make it worth their cost?

Yeah, I can’t think of any that would make me want to pay that cost.  

Many of the driving games would leverage it, I’d imagine.  Cruisin’ USA, etc.  

However, I was thinking if it just accessed a keyboard code, I could just utilize one of my open spots on my iPAC 4 and make a wooden box with a pushbutton you could step on or something. 

The aimtrak light guns have additional buttons on them, so you may be able to program one of them to do the pedal action to drop to cover.  I believe those are for the games where you could throw grenades and shoot (name of that game escapes me).  

I need to do some work to setup my light guns after I updated the arcade to have light up pushbuttons, but every time I go down there to look into it, I just play games… it’s a good problem to have!

I have been meaning to get the light gun running on my arcade. I just never seem to be able to muster up the drive to do it. I have an Ultimarc AimTrak Light Gun from like 2 years ago but it's been sitting in the bottom drawer of the cabinet. I think I remember giving it a half-assed attempt when I bought it... I just remember feeling like it was annoying. Just can't remember the specifics of WHY it was annoying this far out.

I would love one of the Sinden Guns just to be more "modern proof" - and new tech is cool as hell - but there's no way I can justify(see what I did there?) buying one with the AimTrak just collecting dustbunnies. It doesn't help that the one game I think I wanted it for is Virtua Cop. One game out of the entire cabinet library just isn't motivating enough. At some point though... I just gotta. :lol: