All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Virtual pinball cabinet build

spamola

PC: i7 4790, 16gb RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 1050ti

iPAC2 input controller 

KL25z analog nudge controller

HP 32s monitor for the backglass

2 800w ATX power supplies power the PC, and all LEDs. Smart power strip allows for a single button press to turn the cabinet on and off via a button installed on the underside of the cabinet and wired to the PC soft power switch.

Tables are all VPX, and the front end is PinballX, (of course!)

The cabinet was gifted to me. In it's former life it was a Stern Aerosmith that arrived with some very minor damage to the cabinet when it was purchased. Rather than have the owner return the entire cabinet, Stern sent a new cabinet, and he swapped the internals and backbox, etc.  I got very lucky to get this like new cab with legs, rails and lock down bar. It saved a chunk of money that would have either went to materials and tools, or towards an old stripped cabinet.

Beta testing build screen used a 40" Samsung, (pictured in these images):

Beta Build

Once I got everything working, I purchased a 40" 4K Vizio TV and installed the playfield properly, no more clamps!

4K playfield upgrade

The most recent upgrade was the coin door. It's a direct replacement for the Suzo Happ unit that Stern used in the original cabinet so it fit perfectly and bolted right in. 

I have added microswitches to the coin rejects and wired them to add a coin for tables that don't have free play available, and I upgraded the original bulbs to 5v LEDs.

Coin Door Installed

Up next will be the backbox build and DMD display install using a 15.6" LED with an HDMI controller, and then SSF excite speakers and amps. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spamola said:

The cabinet was gifted to me. In it's former life it was a Stern Aerosmith that arrived with some very minor damage to the cabinet when it was purchased. Rather than have the owner return the entire cabinet, Stern sent a new cabinet, and he swapped the internals and backbox, etc. 

How lucky are you?!..  man i'm jealous. Nice cab :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scutters said:

How lucky are you?!..  man i'm jealous. Nice cab :)

Thanks! I've had a great time building it and playing it so far. I'm very lucky here for sure. Should have bought a lottery ticket that day...

1 hour ago, tthurman said:

Dude, what an amazing score! 

I've played that cab, looks like you snagged the premium model too :banana:

Never mind, coin door series of pics reveals otherwise, but still :)

"The only legitimate use of a computer is to play games" —Eugene Jarvis

GameEx_Evo.png

Yea I don't think it's the premium model, but for my needs, it's still bad ass!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice build !

Why didn't you added coin validators and add credits by adding coins ?

I try to setup all tables with a rom for 1 credit to the left coin chute and 2 credits to the right.

And yes, you are lucky when you get the cabinet !

Realy nice!

• Like 1

Thanks!

I opted to use the coin reject buttons to add credits instead of the original coin validator switches since the iPAC and the kl25z controllers are mounted where the coin box would go, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of actual coinage.

• Like 1