All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] playfield playback issue

Topic will be automatically locked at 04:00 AM

keithhov

My playfield videos look great when I play them in a media player, but about 20 percent of the time they play too bright and washed out when scrolling between tables in pinballx.   I just reinstalled video codecs....K lite I think, but it doesn't help.    If change change video playback settings in nvidia control panel but it doesn't seem to help in pinballX.... I have had this problem for a while now... files attached.   

It's a weird issue,, if i go to Metallica for example, its occasionally is too bright and washed out,,, I will go one table to the right, then back to Metallica and it will look perfect. 

log.txt PinballX (1).ini

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] playfield playback issue
  • Draco1962 changed the title to playfield playback issue

In looking at the log.txt file, you are several versions out of current - v 6.07 vs 6.11. I suggest upgrading to the latest version before further triage takes place.

Also, ensure that you have the latest drivers installed for your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER

Please submit new pinballx.ini and log.txt file after you've upgraded after the error condition occurs. Thank you.

• Like 1

I do have a complex monitor with all type of adaptive/dynamic settings.... I think I have most of it turned off....fearful of changing those settings as I have spent hours dialing it in for perfect table brightness....I will update to latest version of pinballx... and check windows HDR settings...ill post back on here if I notice any changes. 

Thanks, 

• Like 1

updated to latest version of pinballx, upated nvidia drivers,,, verified all HDR settings off in windows and on monitor,,,,ASCR disabled on monitor, dynamic dimming disabled on monitor...

If I force my main display to backglass monitor, the video brigtness seems very consistent on the backglass monitor,, when I put it back to my main monitor playfield, it seems some type of monitor setting tries to kick in...looks like some kinda contrast adjustment makes the videos bright occasionally .....

Pretty sure it's just my monitor opposed to codec issue or pinballx... I don't want to mess with monitor settings too much as tables look great in VPX.

I am good closing topic again.

• Thanks 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] playfield playback issue

Playfield monitor is 

Asus ROG XG43UQ Strix 43" 4K UHD Gaming LCD Monitor, 144Hz, FreeSync Premium Pro

Asus ROGXG43UQ

Backglass monitor is just a standard 4k 32 inch samsung monitor hdmi,  the  ASUS 43 is a really good playfield monitor after some tweaking,,,once i turned off or down all the fancy stuff.  1.4 display port.......

Tested a bit more and can only reproduce the issue on the asus, so I am pretty certain its some type of brightness/contrast override,,, fortunately actual tables look great and consistent. 

Is it possible that the display priority is playing a role? Nvidia has always gone oldest to newest for boot priority: VGA > DVI-A > DVI-D > HDMI > DP

That noted, do you think it might be worth trying HDMI on your playfield and DisplayPort on your backglass monitor, assuming it has that port available?

51 minutes ago, keithhov said:

Asus ROG XG43UQ Strix 43" 4K UHD Gaming LCD Monitor, 144Hz, FreeSync Premium Pro

I have a ASUS ROG Swift PG38UQ 38" 4K Ultra HD 144Hz IPS and dont experience the issue.

If you enable the OSD and shows the fps, is it constantly 144fps ? Or does it drop ? I need to check my other monitor settings, butvthought I had mostly on default values.

I generally don't have any frame rate issues.....a few titles I have to turn down some reflections to maintain 144 frames.. I also use vertical sync and get steady 144 with no noticeable lag.... frame pacing on my cabinet causes microstuddering even with overdrive disabled, frame pacing on my traditional PC works great.  

I can't go to HDMI on playfield cabinet, if you use HDMI your maxed out at 120 frames,,,, the main reason I upgraded to the asus 43 inch is to get 144 frames.

There just seems to be some type of dynamic brightness or contrast overide kicking in on videos on occasion... I am just trying to narrow it down if it's being causes by nvidia settings(I do have gamma correction disabled) or the asus monitor...... I haven't dug into to deep because its a minor annoyance. 

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. 

I think I finaally figured it out....

NVIDA control panel.....adjust video settings.....even thought I had this disabled for my ASUS monitor, it was enabled with either the backglass monitor or DMD display monitor...... and windows often reports a different number monitor then what nvidia reports.... so just a lot of confusion on what monitor is what in windows opposed to vpx/NVIDIA and also in vpinballx.....I have generally been aware of this but am just used to it and after a few minutes or trial I get playfield, DMD, backglass on correct monitor. 

either way I just set color adjustments to be made by video player, instead of NVIDIA  for all displays and after cycling through a bunch of tables, all videos seem to play correctly...... FINALLY!!

Thanks for the help

• Like 3