All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Why do I lose my Win 10 mouse curser with PinballX

rickh

When I loaded the latest version of PinballX, I lost my mouse curser.   I removed Pinballx from my Win 10 system and everything is good again.   BTW- I noticed that there is a setting for making the mouse visible or not.  Initially, I set this to on.  I was able to change it back to disabled (allowing the curser to be visible), but I still could not restore my curser even after reboot.   Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files from right after the error condition in reply to this thread. Thanks!

I used to have this problem occasionally when testing things , especially if pinballx would crash or I would do some type of force quit.  The mouse arrow would actually change to 1 pixel making it hard to see and I would have to change the mouse curser back to default through windows control panel. 

Attach the the files requested above and someone will give you some suggestions, make sure you have the latest version of pinballx.

As a gaming frontend Pinballx tries to hide all traces of the operating system. The issue can happen when PinballX crashes as it cant re show the mouse pointer. I would need the log to see the error.

If I read it correctly, the mouse pointer disappeared when running PBX.

As Tom said, this could be caused by a crash of PBX. If you changed the setting for hidding mouse after PBX was crashed to not hidecit anymore, the mouse pointer will not come back.

Change this setting again to hide mouse pointer, start and close PBX directly to let PBX restore your mouse pointer on exit.

When PBX is crashing again, please attach the files that are needed for investigation 

3 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

If I read it correctly, the mouse pointer disappeared when running PBX.

As Tom said, this could be caused by a crash of PBX. If you changed the setting for hidding mouse after PBX was crashed to not hidecit anymore, the mouse pointer will not come back.

Change this setting again to hide mouse pointer, start and close PBX directly to let PBX restore your mouse pointer on exit.

When PBX is crashing again, please attach the files that are needed for investigation 

First, thanks for everyone's help.  No, I lost the mouse pointer for windows 10, even after I reboot the machine, it still does not appear.  This makes it difficult to navigate on the GUI.  The only way for me to restore my mouse pointer is to remove pinballx.  

Attached is the ini file.  I am still looking for the log file.  Which folder would that be in?

Rick

PinballX.ini

As tom said : pinballx will  make your mpuse hidden during run of the program as a game frontend doesn't show nice with a mouse. Pointer (the mouse image is chsnged).

Removing pinballx will not help as your windows os is set to this now

Use a remote session from another pc to see the mouse and restore the mouse.

You can do it as I already mention it, or by changing the mouse pointer within Windows itself

37 minutes ago, rickh said:

First, thanks for everyone's help.  No, I lost the mouse pointer for windows 10, even after I reboot the machine, it still does not appear.  This makes it difficult to navigate on the GUI.  The only way for me to restore my mouse pointer is to remove pinballx.  

Attached is the ini file.  I am still looking for the log file.  Which folder would that be in?

Rick

PinballX.ini 9.72 kB · 0 downloads

Under PinballX\LOG

I found the log file.  I looked at the content and it said to delete the Flash.OCX file and reinstall PinballX.  First, this Flash.ocx is like bubble gum on the sole of your shoe, it doesn't like to be removed, so I moved it to another folder.  I reinstalled PinballX, but I kept my playfield data base and config file from my 2019 version, as I have several hours of work to build this correctly and if I have to do it again, it just would not be worth pursuing this.   I digress, I restarted windows 10 and tried running pinballx, but it was behaving weird (I was missing all but two tables).  I exited pinballx and obviously and predictably the mouse curser disappeared again.   Reboot, same thing.  My machine is broken, and the problem is caused by pinballx.   Attached is my log.    

log.txt

08:26:36.76  7/31/2024:  Unhiding Mouse Cursor

According to your log, pinballx is starting and closing and your cursor was set to  back 'unhide'.

Did your taskbar appear after closing pinballx ? I can't see a reason why your mouse would not appear 

1 hour ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Snip-

Removing pinballx will not help as your windows os is set to this now.  I disagree!  I removed PinballX and my mouse pointer works again.   

Use a remote session from another pc to see the mouse and restore the mouse.  NO NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!  I am fed up with all this broken crap.  I have spent too much of my precious time and money trying to get this software to work.  

Snip

I understand that you are one of the developers of this front-end, but you refuse to understand or believe what I am saying.  With that said, the pointer is gone and NEVER APPEARS AGAIN!!! AFTER REBOOT, I HAVE NO MORE MOUSE POINTER IN WINDOWS 10.  IT IS BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   IT CAN ONLY BE FIXED THIS BY REMOVING PINBALLX FROM MY PC.  

29 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:
08:26:36.76  7/31/2024:  Unhiding Mouse Cursor

According to your log, pinballx is starting and closing and your cursor was set to  back 'unhide'.

Did your taskbar appear after closing pinballx ? I can't see a reason why your mouse would not appear 

Yes.  I have a taskbar after closing pinballx.   I'm going to try another route as my last attempt with this software. I'm going back to an earlier version that I was using back in 2019.  if this doesn't work, I'll move on to another frontend.  I appreciate all that you folks have done, but I have had other unresolved issues with this software that I thought would have been sorted out after 5 years.

Life is too short but I did add a setting last time this came up

Add this to the [display] section in pinballx.ini

HideMouse=False

You may need to go to mouse settings in control panel and set default pointers.

6 hours ago, rickh said:

You still have HidePinMAME=True set in your ini file. Did you ever try changing it to False as suggested in that thread?

If you did and it didn't work then if you want to pursue that please open a new thread for it. 

Regarding the mouse issue if you're still interested in addressing that as well, the log did show that the mouse should have been restored on exit with no nothing logged to indicate a problem in doing so.

Can you restore your mouse pointer via the control panel and then try PinballX again with the Hide Mouse setting set to False as suggested by Tom.. then attach new copies of your ini and log files if the cursor still disappears after running PinballX.

Scutter,

Let me try that cheap trick.  As mentioned, I have installed and removed pinballx so many times that I may have skipped that setting.

I just forced pinballx to crash....no mouse cursor issues since in my settings I have mouse hide set to "yes"........

I set mouse hide to "no", I forced pinball to crash......my mouse cursor disappeared....as I mentioned for me it does show as one tiny pixel... photo attached.     The tiny black speck above the o in mouse.....thats my mouse cursor.....only way to fix is to get to control panel and change pointer options back to what you want..... hard to do with no mouse cursor but I have done it 50+ time testing pinballx months ago when I had a problem.    Makes it easier if you have your desktop set to a light color....... good luck

image0 (1).jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keithhov said:

I just forced pinballx to crash....no mouse cursor issues since in my settings I have mouse hide set to "no"........

I set mouse hide to "yes", I forced pinball to crash......my mouse cursor disappeared....as I mentioned for me it does show as one tiny pixel... photo attached.     The tiny black speck above the o in mouse.....thats my mouse cursor.....only way to fix is to get to control panel and change pointer options back to what you want..... hard to do with no mouse cursor but I have done it 50+ time testing pinballx months ago when I had a problem.    Makes it easier if you have your desktop set to a light color....... good luck

image0 (1).jpeg

When PinballX crashes and the mouse button dissapears, can't  you just launchbpinballx again and closecit directly to get the mouse back ? Thats a workaround I use for years (w10 and w11)

I just hit the windows button on my keyboard, type pinballx and launch it. No mouse needed at that time.

Maybe not the best soluttion, but works for me

7 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

can't  you just launchbpinballx again and closecit directly to get the mouse back

Agree. If hide mouse is set to true and PinballX crashes or the system is shut down before closing PinballX the easiest way to restore the pointer is to run PinballX again and exit out cleanly. Probably won't work for @rickh though as it appears the unhide mouse function on PinballX exit isn't restoring the mouse in his case.

13 hours ago, scutters said:

You still have HidePinMAME=True set in your ini file. Did you ever try changing it to False as suggested in that thread?

If you did and it didn't work then if you want to pursue that please open a new thread for it. 

how about his previous issue
As I have a real DMD, I don't have a clue, but do@scuttersor @Draco1962 has an idea ?