All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GPD WIN 4 Ryzen 7 7840u / 64GB RAM / 4 TB

ClassicGMR

Wow. You bet your ass it's running GameEx! Of course it is! (And Steam. And Epic. And Battle.Net.)

This thing is amazing. Full-fledged PC with some nice gaming chops. Emulation is a breeze. :D

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by ClassicGMR
Stuff
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

stats of your build (storage, GPU and CPU stats, etc.)!

You mean like the title of the thread? 🤣 "Ryzen 7 7840u / 64GB RAM / 4 TB"

Seriously though - I figured if I'm doing it I'm going all in. These specs were for the top model and as of this post the link is valid for this model specifically. It's $77 off right now but it's a pretty penny (150,000 pretty pennies to be exact).

* It's an 8-core, 16 thread chip that can hit 5.1GHz. I think it runs at a normal max of 3.3 GHz and at idle I've only seen it as low as 2.5 GHz so very nice.

* It is running 64GB of DDR5 of which 48GB are usable (massive overkill I know). I think the other 16GB are reserved for the GPU? Could be wrong.

* The GPU is the on-board AMD Radeon 780M which I have stressed a little. It's somewhere between a GTX 1660ti and a 2070 Super(?). It runs well that's all I know. It will do 1080p but on the 6" screen 720p is more than enough. I still do 1080p docked though. :) I get a solid 60FPS in Forza Horizon 4, Fortnite, Slay the Spire, Skyrim, etc. She'll chug in Cyberpunk but I can lock the FPS and it's a solid experience. I still want to "Furmark and Unigine the hell out of it" but I've had too much fun just using it. :)

* There's an optical mousepad on this thing that's just so easy to use. Took me a hot minute to get used to it but I absolutely love it. Beats the actual joystick+shoulder buttons "mouse mode" the system sports.

* The GPD WIN uses an XBox style controller setup. Works fine. The right stick is a tad close to the A button for my tastes but I'm getting used to it.

* It has a 6" LCD that is smaller than the Steam Deck but it's more vibrant. I don't notice the difference while using it. Slide it up and it feels better playing on it PLUS reveals a full, back-lit keyboard.

* I do have the dock which adds the usual HDMI out and USB Type-A ports. Right now I have a mouse/keyboard attached and it's connected to my 1080p monitor.

* WiFi is as fast as my laptop and desktop so no complaints there. I've played Fortnite as I said earlier with a solid, no stutter 60FPS.

* The Bluetooth works. I don't use it much on any of my PCs but it works.

* The SD card slot works as well as an SD card can in terms of speed so *shrug*.

* The speakers are front-firing and sound a lot better than I expected. They do get obscured a bit by my hands but even then they sound better than any rear-firing or bottom-firing speakers I've heard on other handhelds.

Just for reference here's my Amazon review: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R30NIVB2LFQQOO?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

Edited by ClassicGMR
Clarification
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Nice theme you got there! B)

Tell us more! Links to find and additional stats of your build (storage, GPU and CPU stats, etc.)!

Still my favorite theme. GameEx just looks weird without it. (Sorry Tom) :D

Here's some more torture stats from the GPD WIN 4. As you can see in GPU-Z the 16GB RAM is assigned to the GPU like I thought. Heaven shows a good 62 FPS average but don't be fooled. It stuttered in the larger scenes noticeably hence the 9 FPS low.

I really love this thing. PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast... pffft... it doesn't even sweat. :)

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Like 2