All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Favorite Games for Portable PC Gaming Handheld Systems (ROG Ally - Lenovo Legion Go - GPD WIN 4 - Steam Deck)

Draco1962

What are your favorite games for the ROG Ally, Lenovo Legion GoGPD Win 4, or Steam Deck portable PC Gaming handheld Systems?

List them out or post a single thread for a game - your choice! This may also be a good place to post information about configuration issues and solutions for each if they do not work with the built-in controller schema "out of the box."

GAME: Brutal Legend (Steam)

SYSTEM: ROG Ally Extreme w/ 4TB M.2 2280 mod (Windows 11 Pro)

I'll start - many newer games sold through Steam will work by default with the Xbox series of controllers. my current game of focus is Brutal Legend.

So long as you remember to select Gamepad mode via Armoury Crate it plays out of the box with Xbox compatibility.

• Like 1

GAME: Slay the Spire (Steam)

SYSTEM: Steam Deck 512 GB LCD, PC

CLOUD SAVE: Yes

I have a Steam Deck and have spent a lot of time playing with my library to see what runs well. My latest passion has been Slay the Spire. It's a rogue deck builder type game but it's not a Magic the Gathering clone. It's more like a turn-based RPG (kinda) but the cards you start with and acquire determine your actions. You have to be smart about how many cards you actually have in your deck. Just having cards isn't always a good thing. As you finish drawing the deck the discard pile is shuffled back into your draw pile again so having the right balance of "good cards" vs "a ton of cards" is crucial. I have been playing this game for about 3 months now and I finally FINALLY finished Act III. Which is like beating the first boss in Metal Gear Solid. Yes it is an accomplishment but it's the easiest fight among many. I plan to enjoy - and be frustrated by - this game for a very long time.

EDIT: Also important to note the Cloud Saves work with this (and almost all) Steam titles so I can easily transition from my Deck to my PC and back when I want/need to.

Edited by ClassicGMR
Conform to the masses! LOL! (Post structuring)
  • Like 1

GAME: South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ (Steam)

Another I have been playing. Works "out of the box" with the built-in controller and play is great! No changes to dsiplay quality required.  A fun game if you are a South Park fan! The cosplay episodes are amongst my favorites and this one does not disappoint. So far no issues to report, plays the same to me as it does on PC - because it is on a PC, only in my hand!

• Like 1

GAME: Forza Horizon 4 (Steam)

SYSTEM: Steam Deck 512 GB LCD, PC

Forza Horizon 4 is not only a great marathon game. It is one of those games you can pick up, play a race or two then put down. (I like to call these "Quick Hit" games.) It is still a visually beautiful game on PC. Now... on the Steam Deck... it is stunning. The scenery, lighting, weather, seasons and car effects are all perfectly translated to the small screen. The game plays right out of the box with no tweaking required. With the Cloud Save feature you're not forced to play 2 different games just because you are on your handheld. I have not seen any stuttering or slowdowns on my handheld while playing this game. At max settings on your PC you may see lower FPS if you're the last racer in the pack (and you're actually paying attention to that sort of thing) but on the deck the FPS isn't an issue to begin with so all you see are clear roads ahead (unless, you know, you're in 8th place 🤣).

I haven't tried Forza 5 but, to be honest, I have no desire to as yet. I haven't even scratched the surface of what Forza 4 offers and it's a beauty to behold :)

GAME: South Park™: The Fractured But Whole™ (Steam)

The sequel to South Park: The Stick of Truth. Going to copy & paste "Works "out of the box" with the built-in controller and play is great! No changes to dsiplay quality required.  A fun game if you are a South Park fan! The cosplay episodes are amongst my favorites and this one does not disappoint. So far no issues to report, plays the same to me as it does on PC - because it is on a PC, only in my hand!"

• Haha 1

GAME: Persona 4 Golden (Steam)

SYSTEM: Steam Deck 512 GB LCD, PC (and almost any other platform now)

I first played P4G on my PSVita system at least 10/11 years ago. I am an RPG fan to begin with but this game is something special. Every choice you make has an impact on the dynamics of the game. You can beat the game no matter what choices you do make but it may be a shorter, less satisfying ending. Interpersonal relationships and building friendships is essential to growing your power so you have to do it.

But once I started doing it I couldn't - and didn't want to - stop building on it. The game isn't just a dungeon crawl. You actually care about these characters you're playing with. It's an amazing piece of writing. I cannot remember a game before or since that I actually had that experience with. Books yes. You read a series and you get into their lives and care about what is happening. Games? Not so much. I actually found myself wanting to spend more time OUTSIDE the dungeons so I could interact with the world and all these new friends I had!

I realize this is rambling a bit but it's hard to describe properly... TES: Skyrim is an awesome RPG that can be modded to hell and back. Final Fantasy VII was just so good for its time. Still is and has a decent story. But neither of them holds a candle to Persona 4's immersion and depth of play. Damn. Now I want to take it out for another spin. :)

"Every day's great at your Junes!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GAME: Symphony

SYSTEM: ROG Ally Extreme w/ 4TB M.2 2280 mod (Windows 11 Home)

"A mysterious entity is absorbing and corrupting your music before your very eyes. You must battle through your own song collection and fight to reclaim your music!"

A vertical "shmup" with increasing levels of complexity, ship upgrades, etc. as you fight for your music as the "Entity" attempts to enslave it to create his "Symphony of Souls!"

I've had this one for quite a while and it plays very well with my own MP3s on the line! Another "out of the box" game that leverages the Xbox gamepad schema very well.

• Like 1

GAMES: Asteroids: RechargedBerzerk: Recharged,  Centipede: Recharged 

SYSTEM: ROG Ally Extreme w/ 4TB M.2 2280 mod (Windows 11 Home)

These are but three of the Atari: Recharged series that have been released over the last few years. Great sound, game play is great, although I will say that the graphics start to all seem the same from one game to the next due to the vector treatment for all games in the series, even titles that were not originally vector graphics.

No problems or need to configure the built-in controls.

• 2 months later...

GAME: Yakuza 0 (Steam)

SYSTEM: Steam Deck 512 GB LCD, GPD WIN 4, PC

I recently bought the Yakuza series(included 0, Kiwame, Kiwame 2, 3 Remastered, 4 Remastered, 5 Remastered and 6) on Steam when it was on sale. It worked out to be $6 per game. I am starting with Yakuza 0 since it's "technically" the first one (prequel). Now I've never played any game in the series but it is very good and I am hooked in. Story driven. Violent but since it IS Japanese Mafia that's expected. It plays flawlessly on the Deck with no overheating or loud fans. Looks beautiful but I have to say sometimes I am fighting with the camera for a good angle especially in tight spots. Minor annoyance you can get past once you get used to the controls. It uses the Steam Deck preset controls so no config needed.

Edited by ClassicGMR
added my new toy: GPD WIN 4 :) (yes I know it's a PC)

• Draco1962 changed the title to Favorite Games for Portable PC Gaming Handheld Systems (ROG Ally - Lenovo Legion Go - GPD WIN 4 - Steam Deck)
1 hour ago, DazoftheDroid said:

Just got a SteamDeck! - DeathSmiles makes me attracted to it! Crimson Clover brings me to my happy place and Terraria (the best game ever made imo) just begs me to give it some more. And more i shall give it 😆

One Of Us GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

GAME: Fortnite (Epic Megagames)

SYSTEM: GPD WIN 4, PC

CLOUD SAVE: N/A

This one may not interest most of you but I play with my son and grandson often. The GPD Win 4 puts out a very respectable 60FPS almost all the time. The screen size is a bit detrimental but for mobile play I find it amazing. I can go over to his house, just sit right next to them with my Win 4 and play side by side. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...