All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Directoutput in Visual Pinball not working when launched from PinballX?

Wimpie

My parameters to launch Visual Pinball X are 

/play -"[TABLEPATH]\[TABLEFILE]"

My tables load just fine, there's no issue with that. But my led strips (DirectOutput) aren't working!

When I create a batch file and launch Visual Pinball X with the exact same parameters, my led strips are OK. 

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Well, i think your batch file is not the same as launching from pinballX.

Visual pinball and direcrb2s are responsible for your dof  output.

Please posy your pinballx.ini and log.txt file to check your configuration.

As you can see on the screenshot, my PinballX command to launch Visual Pinball X seems to be identical to what I'm using in my batch file.

Table launched via PinballX -> No DirectOutput active

Table launched from Batch file -> DirectOutput works

It's a mystery!

I can post the full contents of my settings file when I have internet access on my pinball, but the relevant part about Visual Pinball can be seen in the screenshot.

As previously requested, please attach copies (no copy and paste or pictures) of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files. Also attach a copy of your batch file referenced. Thank you.

Thanks wimpie.

All looks good.

Although, i don't  use auto poistion directb2s, but that should not cause the issue.

Can you test something ?

Enable mouse pointer within settings.exe (makes it easier to troubleshoot)

Launch Flintstone again, when vpx is launch, click on the backglass with your right mouse button.

A settings dialog will show.

Check if "activat plugins" is checked and click on the plugin settings button.

Your dof plugin should be showed and should be ok.

I think something is fuzzy in these settings, vut unable to explain why this is working from command line and not from pbx.

Don't forget to hide mouse again from settings.rexe

When table is launched from PinballX: Plugin settings is activated, directoutput plugin is active. Yet no functional leds. When launched from the batch file, the plugin settings are identical and the LEDs work.

How on earth is this possible?

Well, this one can be marked as solved, although it IS a bug in PinballX (I have no idea how to contact the author to tell him this).

The solution is to create a pinDMD.ini in the PinballX folder with an unused COM port:

[communication]
comport=COM5

Without ini file, COM3 is used, which has my Teensy and NOT a pinDMD. And there seems to be no way to tell PinballX NOT to use a pinDMD interface - it's ALWAYS opened and COM3 is ALWAYS blocked, even if you don't have a pinDMD. So this is a workaround. The best solution would be to add a Yes/No setting to tell PinballX if you have a pinDMD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wimpie said:

Well, this one can be marked as solved, although it IS a bug in PinballX (I have no idea how to contact the author to tell him this).

@Tom Speirsis the author and owner of the forums. I am sure he will see this. B)

You may also want to suggest your change here:

6 hours ago, Wimpie said:

The solution is to create a pinDMD.ini in the PinballX folder with an unused COM port:

[communication]
comport=COM5

Without ini file, COM3 is used, which has my Teensy and NOT a pinDMD. And there seems to be no way to tell PinballX NOT to use a pinDMD interface - it's ALWAYS opened and COM3 is ALWAYS blocked, even if you don't have a pinDMD. So this is a workaround. The best solution would be to add a Yes/No setting to tell PinballX if you have a pinDMD.

Nice catch.

Sounds a bit the same as the issue I had with the following from a couple of years ago

Its good that we followed the complete trail of possible logs.

I think Teensy and PinDMDvx uses same hardware (and can be used for addressable leds). 

It was for me also a hard time to figure this out a couple of years ago, but wasn't aware that it could also touch users without a real DMD.
I will add it to my own FAQ for people that have the issue in the future.
Thanks !

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] Directoutput in Visual Pinball not working when launched from PinballX?