All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PinballX 5.40 .net6 don't start because Flash engine error

jejegameex

After installation of PinballX 5.40 on my cabinet, PinballX don't start : the last line in log file is 'Testing Flash engine'.

I already had problems with Flash on Windows 10 because Flash is no longer supported: after removing Flash, it is no longer possible to reinstall it.
Maybe that's why I haven't seen the Instruction cards in PinballX for well over a year.

Questions : why does PinballX still use Flash ? And is there a way to disable it?

Remarks : PinballXLite.exe start well. PinballX version 5.37 works well.

• 1 month later...

The normal fix for flash errors is to delete flash.ocx in the pinballx folder and then reinstall pinballx (it's normally suggested in the log file, but it's worth giving it a go if you haven't already)

If 5.37 works for you then maybe it's somehow .net core related and you could also try the framework version of pinballx

(and now i'm off to google what Microsoft Windows 10 Entreprise LTSC is! ;))

Windows 10  Enterprise LTSC is generally used for kiosks or small form factor builds with IoT (Internet of Things" in mind that you don't want to be hit with lots of updates. Think medical devices.

Good read here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/ltsc-what-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181

Personally, I am mixed on its use for game systems as it could potentially be lacking some features or libraries that are required by common frontends.

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all of you,

I thought the PinballX 'XP/Vista' version was no longer updated, or that it only worked on XP and Vista... But this version works for me on Windows 11.

The remove of Flash.ocx doesn't works... But PinballX works !

Maybe a .net core issue, I don't know...

log.txt

The vista/xp edition is based on .net framework 4.

The .core is the .net corr 6 version . Xp/vista cannot run this as this framework cannot be installed on that os.

Did you try to delete flash.ocx from your pinballx directory  And relaunch pinballx ?

2 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

The vista/xp edition is based on .net framework 4.

The .core is the .net corr 6 version . Xp/vista cannot run this as this framework cannot be installed on that os.

Did you try to delete flash.ocx from your pinballx directory  And relaunch pinballx ?

Yes I delete the file, but no changes with PinballX .net6 (it does not start). I have no problems with the version 5.41 .net framework 4 (the log contains the Flash error too, but PinballX starts).