All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

game list manager randomly changing on it's own

8trek

I've searched and found others describing what i'm experiencing but have yet to find a definitive answer.  I had hoped by now to figure out what is triggering the problem but cannot, appears to be completely random.  The problem is i'm finding many of the roms i've selected for the games inside the game list manager eventually get cleared out in other words it's like i never selected a rom.  Also the ratings i've selected for each game are changing on their own, example if i said a game was 4 stars it would eventually change to 5 stars.

Anybody out there think i'm not crazy?  :-)

are you using the scrollwheel of the mouse, to scroll the list in gamemanager ? if so if you hover with mouse over combobox and you scroll with mousewheel it will change it. Should try not to use the scrollwheel if thats the cause. I sometimes have the problem that scrolling acts weird (like jumps back to start) but other than that and the scrollwheel stuff not had any problems yet.

Its also possible your database xml contains errors and things get wonky when modifying it. But that could only happen if you made a mistake while manually editing the xml files in notepad or similar

6 hours ago, joyrider3774 said:

are you using the scrollwheel of the mouse, to scroll the list in gamemanager ? if so if you hover with mouse over combobox and you scroll with mousewheel it will change it. Should try not to use the scrollwheel if thats the cause. I sometimes have the problem that scrolling acts weird (like jumps back to start) but other than that and the scrollwheel stuff not had any problems yet.

Its also possible your database xml contains errors and things get wonky when modifying it. But that could only happen if you made a mistake while manually editing the xml files in notepad or similar

yea i caught myself doing that with the mouse wheel once so  have been aware of that for some time... however this would not explain the rom selection issue.

1 hour ago, 8trek said:

yea i caught myself doing that with the mouse wheel once so  have been aware of that for some time... however this would not explain the rom selection issue.

Try the following. It has the same functionality as gamemanager, but easier to use (and has some extra features):

34 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Are you talking about a PinMAME Rom? Also log please. Its helpful if for nothing else to see you are on the latest version. Probably bugs I need to fix. Post the log if you want me to.

Hey Tom, see attached, this is the rom i'm referring to.  Also attaching a couple of the xml files as they have changed during the course of being in and out of the manager.  Have been getting in the habit of making copies on occasion before making changes to see if i can find a pattern to the problem.  It does seem like certain games are affected more than others but like i said i haven't been able to isolate the trigger.

Capture.PNG

log.txt xml files.zip

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

I wonder if the rating is just off by 1 compared to PinballX itself.

ROMS would certainly get deleted if the feature was not enabled or PinMAME had trouble. I can see that. Will fix.

My understanding is whatever you select in the game manager for ratings it will show same in PX and vice versa.  Is that true or at least that's what is supposed to happen?  Generally i rate inside PX but if see a discrepancy will change in the manager.

I've not changed the  setting "use pinmame in front end" for a long time, has always been set to Yes.  Only other thing might be worth mentioning...  I doubt this would have anything to do with it but i don't always select the exact rom version being used for the table... saves time from having to go into each table script to find out which version the game is actually using.

That is correct and what is supposed to happem. I wonder if that is the issue with the ratings. I will look soon.

Not sure on the rom issue.

I would think though if there was an issue they would all disappear, and all ratings would change.

Tom,

This may or may not help but here's what i've observed recently.  Noticed a particular game showed incorrect ratings inside PX, apparently changed on it's own from 3 stars to 5.  Changed back to 3 stars inside PX.  Later removed another game in game manager and added a different version of same game which comes before the game with incorrect ratings mentioned earlier in alphabetical order.  Inside game manager noticed the rom originally selected for game with the ratings issue is now blank.

"edit"... also seeing other tables now missing the rom inside game manager.

3 hours ago, 8trek said:

... also seeing other tables now missing the rom inside game manager.

Are the missing tables also missing in the xml file for those games?

26 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Are the missing tables also missing in the xml file for those games?

The tables are not missing, it's the rom selected for these games inside the manager that are missing.

17 minutes ago, 8trek said:

The tables are not missing, it's the rom selected for these games inside the manager that are missing.

Not sure if you're not following me or vice-versa. Can you attach a copy of your xml file and note which of the ROMs are impacted (i e., not showing in game manager)?

8 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Not sure if you're not following me or vice-versa. Can you attach a copy of your xml file and note which of the ROMs are impacted (i e., not showing in game manager)?

Not sure what the xml file is going to tell you anything.  This is the game early missing the rom but is now in the xml file since i re-selected it.  If it's missing there simply won't be anything between the rom section.

<game name="Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Fiends (Data East 1993) 1.0">
        <description>Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends (Data East 1993)</description>
        <rom>rab_320</rom>
        <manufacturer>Data East</manufacturer>
        <year>1993</year>
        <type>SS</type>
        <hidedmd>True</hidedmd>
        <hidetopper>True</hidetopper>
        <hidebackglass>True</hidebackglass>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <rating>3</rating>
    </game>

16 minutes ago, bushav said:

For my own education, what does "selecting a ROM" in game manager do for PinballX?  I've never used that feature but I see you guys are using it when you post screen shots  of Game Manager.

if you enable vpinmame in settings this button called rom will make a real dmd show the data stored in the rom file while browsing games.

• Like 1

Tom,

Think I've finally found at least one trigger causing the issue with rom clearing out on it's own.  I recently added several tables and also selected the appropriate rom for each inside game manager.  Then played said games for the first time in PX and rated each inside PX.  Now if I go back to the game manager all the roms selected for each game have been cleared out but the ratings show up correctly.