All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

backglass not in foreground after exiting table

8trek

As the title states... have tried latest and greatest px versions, both 32 and 64 bit.  Not running any plugins or other software that would cause this.  I know you'll want logs and all that but just though i'd pose the question first to see if anyone has heard of this before. 

Not using the .direct2bs option, just bg videos.  Have the latest codecs.  Win10 i7 cpu, fairly decent Video card... other than this tables run fine for the most part.

Thanks.

Is this issue only with 4.34, or do you have it with previous version as wel ?

If you alt-tab, will you see the BG or is not there ?
And yes, Log and pinballx.ini would be appreciate to post to check if there is anything stated 
And the log file must be used after the issue occurs 

8 hours ago, scutters said:

Also, if the backglass window is not in the foreground, then what is? (another app, or is it just a black pinballx backglass window)

either 1 of 2 things happens, either black screen or other windows opened like file explorer

9 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Is this issue only with 4.34, or do you have it with previous version as wel ?

If you alt-tab, will you see the BG or is not there ?
And yes, Log and pinballx.ini would be appreciate to post to check if there is anything stated 
And the log file must be used after the issue occurs 

was happening once and awhile on older versions too.  alt-tab does nothing.

To help avoid additional second guessing, please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files and do so whenever reporting errors going forward. Also, a copy of your xml file for the affected tables may be of help. Thanks.

Going to attach another set of logs and config files.  This time what happened was after exiting a game the playfield is black and the bg is like described above... going from bad to worse. Also worth noting this time went back to the 32 bit version thinking that might help.... but not.  I then hit exit on keyboard then both display again.

PinballX.ini log.txt

6 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Question is : how do you exit the table ? By pressing quit twice or the configured exit key on pinballx ?

Well that is a new problem that has surfaced.  Discovered for whatever reason now on some tables when i hit the ESC key i started getting the confirm prompt (aka hit Q).... used to always be hitting ESC would just bypass that question.  So if you see i hit Q twice in the logs it's because i just changed my pinscape controls to hit Q one on press and another on release... but guess this will cause problems on tables that don't require hitting Q twice.

Is pinballx and/or vpx set to run as admin?

For the black screen, as you have the latest codecs installed can you post a screenshot of your lav settings (lav video configuration screen). Thanks

i think the black screen is caused, because vpinball is closing table, but won't exit.

So indeed, try to run pinballx as admin an set a key to exit in settings.exe. this key should terminate the emulator 

PX is running as admin, both in properties of the executable and logged in as an admin.  I was NOT running VPX as admin inside the properties of the file but just changed it but has no affect on outcome.  I have discovered the exit issue is only with X tables, not others that i have like 991, 995, and PM5.  As of this moment I do have the ESC key set to end emulation in PX.  Again works fine for all tables but X tables.  Again what happens is the confirmation window appears and you have to hit Q.  After this the X emulator does not die, I hit ESC again and the emulator dies and PX interface comes back however the BG is beneath other windows as is the title of the subject.  So looks like something to do with VPX I guess?  

Capture.PNG

No, should not have to do with visualpinball.

You should not see the quit menu when you press escape key

Can you try to setup vpx as a system ? To see if you have ⁹the same behavior?

And not sure where the screenshot is taken from...

The screen capture is from the LAV filters. Probably not impacting VPX. I would suggest not setting either VPX, PinballX or anything else to Run as admin and retest. Tom has noted that the Run as admin should probably not be utilized.

Also, ensure that you have your programs installed in the root of whatever drive and not under Windows protected areas, such as Program Files or Program Files (x86) or under any User paths.

13 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

The screen capture is from the LAV filters. Probably not impacting VPX. I would suggest not setting either VPX, PinballX or anything else to Run as admin and retest. Tom has noted that the Run as admin should probably not be utilized.

Also, ensure that you have your programs installed in the root of whatever drive and not under Windows protected areas, such as Program Files or Program Files (x86) or under any User paths.

All pinball related programs including PX are outside of the protected areas.  I've removed the run as admin but doesn't help.  Still get the confirmation window and have to hit Q.  After doing some searching i'm seeing other people having same issues.

28 minutes ago, Draco1962 said:

Can you screen capture the confirmation window you are seeing?

Okay now things are getting more weird.  When i hit escape in game play (while not using PX) i get this prompt but it quickly goes away and table ends.  When i do same when running inside PX the prompt remains.

Capture.PNG

Looks like i figured out the escape problem... disabling force exclusive fullscreen mode in vpx did the trick, no more prompt and game just ends inside px.

Now unfortunately, still have the original problem when i exit a game the backglass video is behind other windows opened on the desktop.  Again, also only happening with vpx tables.

1 hour ago, 8trek said:

Looks like i figured out the escape problem... disabling force exclusive fullscreen mode in vpx did the trick, no more prompt and game just ends inside px.

Now unfortunately, still have the original problem when i exit a game the backglass video is behind other windows opened on the desktop.  Again, also only happening with vpx tables.

You should be able to run VPX in exclusive fullscreen with pinballx without issue. In VPX Keys Nudge & DOF settings do you have Disable ESC Key checked?

For the backglass, so the video is playing - just behind any other open windows, and not a black screen? (in which case the LAV stuff can probably be ruled out). Do you normally have other windows open when you start pinballx, can you close them first?

ESC is not disabled... don't know what else to tell you but turning off exclusive fullscreen mode worked... not sure what it does if you don't mind indulging me.

Yes, you have that correct regarding the BG....  yea, making sure everything is minimized or closed i guess is my only workaround.

Fullscreen exclusive mode gives the program that is running complete controll of the screens, so no other program can run on top of it.

I run vpx as well in fullscreen exlusive mode and that is working.

Are you sure, that when you press the exit button that is defined in pinballx, it closes complete your emulator ?

Can you post a new logfile (with all your settings changed) after you run a game and you dont see your backglass ?

Are you able to select a 2nd table from pbx and run it after it happens?