All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Wrong double entries in games list

shroud

This is a problem that keeps coming back...

Basically in a games list, all of a sudden ALL games which use a SINGLE file appear TWICE in the game list (one after the other). However, while the first occurrence of the game launches the right game, the second occurrence launches a DIFFERENT game (which is then of course NOT shown on its own). So it looks like the name of these single-disk games is taking over another games' name in the list.

See attached images, if my description of the issue is unclear.

I haven't been able to figure out what triggers it, but today it seemed to appear just after I DELETED a game from this list. Is this a known bug?

What should I do to fix this problem now? I can't remember how I did before, but removing MAP files or DBCACHEINI files does nothing.

first.thumb.gif.7327d5f01419a4a1db2e12c134fb2913.gifsecond.thumb.gif.5082f90c05eaa020475958e308e8e3cd.gif

just a thought what happens if you delete 1 of the titles , does the other stay there or does it delete both?.

5 minutes ago, simbamame said:

just a thought what happens if you delete 1 of the titles , does the other stay there or does it delete both?.

The other stay. But after a few additional deletions, now all is fucked up... :/ It looks like when I delete the "wrong" duplicate, the game is deleted from the list but the NAME of it stays, it is only passed to yet another game. So I end up with having still 2 times the title, with the duplicate one now pointing to just another game, which has then lost its own correct title.

6 minutes ago, RedDog said:

Hey shroud,

It is probably something to do with the formatting of the map file for this emulator. Could you please post it?

Thanks! The MAP file looks right to me, but who knows... here is the latest one, just regenerated by GameEx last time I started it.

EMU_12.map

Ok...so...I thought you were creating and using your own map files. I see now that this is not the case. These are actually GameEx generated files.

At this point, I am assuming GameEx is showing multiple titles because some games utilize multiple files. For example, Black Crypt has these four files:
Black Crypt (Disk1).zip "Black Crypt"
Black Crypt (Disk2).zip "Black Crypt"
Black Crypt (Disk3).zip "Black Crypt"
Black Crypt (Disk4).zip "Black Crypt"

...so it assumes it is four different games when it generates the mapfile with four entries.

This is fixable, but to be honest I am not sure if my suggestion will be the best way to go. I looked over the Setup Wizard and the forum and I did not note any parameters within the Setup Wizard that would automatically remedy this. I have so few games that utilize multiple disk files that it has not really been an issue for me.

I think the quickest fix is to create your own mapfile for amiga: Regenerate the EMU_12.map file by deleting it; copy the contents of the new EMU_12.map to a new file, amiga.map perhaps; edit amiga.map to keep single file entries or those entries with 'Disk1' in the name; save the amiga.map file somewhere in your amiga emulator directory; then enter the path to the map file to the Map or SW List File parameter in the Advanced Emulator Setup section for the Amiga emulator. GameEx will use this map file instead of the one it generates. You only have a small list of games, so creating your own map file should not take much time. Of course, this also means that if you add any additonal games in the future, you would need to add an entry to the amiga.map file.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

Please try this patch and let me know how it works out.

GameEx.zip

Thank you very much, I will try this out! Does it require the latest version of GameEx? My version is about a year old, but I would like to avoid upgrading right now in case it screws up something else (I have an 80s party next Saturday and I don't want to be without retrogames! :D

I recommend coming back to this issue when you can upgrade to the latest version of GameEx. There have been many major updates over the last year and we simply can't support a deprecated version.

When you upgrade, if the issue persists, attach copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files for review. Otherwise let us know all is OK. Thanks!

Glad Tom was on top of this.

I need to learn a bit more about the Merge Sets functionality it seams. I thought it was only related to multiple versions of the same game in the same zip file.

@Draco1962 How did you determine what version of GameEx Shroud is running?

14 hours ago, shroud said:

Thank you very much, I will try this out! Does it require the latest version of GameEx? My version is about a year old, but I would like to avoid upgrading right now in case it screws up something else (I have an 80s party next Saturday and I don't want to be without retrogames! :D

By Shroud's own admission ;)

On 10/3/2017 at 7:54 PM, Tom Speirs said:

Ill  look into it shortly. Its an issue with the "Merge sets" option.

Could you please post your log and ini?

Sorry for my slowness... I'll try RedDog's method first.

log.txt

GameEx.ini

And it looks like I am getting older faster that I thought... I am still running version 14.03 :D

My way will certianly get you there since all you are really doing is creating a list to filter out the stuff you don't want and keeping the stuff you do. With only a bit of work and a dash of hair spray...well, who are we kidding, several cans of hair spray...your list can be all ready for partying in the 80's again!!!   :)

Of course, Tom's way is the right way to go in the long run. I am sure he would appreciate the help testing when you have the chance.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RedDog said:

My way will certianly get you there since all you are really doing is creating a list to filter out the stuff you don't want and keeping the stuff you do. With only a bit of work and a dash of hair spray...well, who are we kidding, several cans of hair spray...your list can be all ready for partying in the 80's again!!!   :)

Of course, Tom's way is the right way to go in the long run. I am sure he would appreciate the help testing when you have the chance.

Well, it did work at the end, although with some trouble in the middle... to be more clear, I created the custom map file with only "Disk 1" of those games, and removed previous list of files to ignore in Wizard, and the menu in GameEx became nice again without any duplicates.

Then I proceeded to delete some games directly from the GameEx menu, and here the problem appeared again (so once again duplicate titles, as soon as I started to delete some games with the delete key), but fortunately now with the custom map in place, all those duplicate disappear after re-starting GameEx. Previously instead the duplicates remained even after restarting!

I also immediately noticed that if I started to delete games from the bottom of the list (instead of from the top) and then proceed upwards, duplicates would not appear, but as soon as I deleted a second game in the downward direction, a duplicate appeared!

I don't know if this makes any sense :) But as I said at least now these duplicates disappear when I restart GameEx, so everything is fine. Thanks a lot!! Next week after the party, I'll definitely update GameEx to the latest version ;)

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] Wrong double entries in games list
  • Draco1962 locked this topic