All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Windows 10 Creators Update Woes?

tthurman

To be honest, I'm not sure my particular issue was due to Creators Update, but while troubleshooting winsock and tcp/ip issues, I decided what the hell, and ran DISM. 

You guessed it, errors where found in the component store!  It didn't instill a lot of confidence that I was repairing with what could easily had been a corrupt image, so I pulled down a new ISO, and mounted it to be the repair source.  It had been a while since I utilized the DISM utility, probably since back on my Windows 8 post about it, so I did some googling. 

As opposed to going into a bunch of detail, I'll just point you to this excellent tutorial I ran across as it sums it up much better than I could.

If you've installed the Creators Update, running the checkhealth and scanhealth options will give you a pretty quick answer as to how things went.

It's just a basic "how to" checking and repairing using DISM. but I've never used the "source" switch like described there, which allows you to scan for errors against a new iso file, so you can eliminate concern over your existing image being corrupt.

The creators update showed up on ToddZilla first, and seems to have gone without so much as a hitch, but it's a pretty new build.  My Q9650 however didn't fare so well, but it could have been any number of other things that just piled on until the Creators Update came along and did a "FINISH HIM" move!

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-creators-update-common-problems-and-fixes

Hmmm.. had a problem with this update tonight on my Nostromo cab.

Installed fine to my main/dev PC a week ago - no probs. 

However, sat working whilst it tried installing the update onto my cab + half way through the process (not sure which stage, but the bit where it says it may restart a few times - the configuration stage?) it BSOD'ed. After restart, Windows said reinstalling last Windows installation. Seems to be running fine on rolled back version.

My cab has windows 10 fresh out the box (brand new W10 install to SSD drive) and was all up to date. 

Now, I'm very nervous.... :(

Naw - didn't know that Dazzle, but didn't download/install manually. Rather MS was (rather aggressively - 'install now or snooze' every boot) prompting me to install after automatic download. 

We'll see how it pans out..But if they keep pestering to upgrade then gonna be a PITA. 

I have 7 of my 12 systems running Win10. Nothing happened to any of them with the update.

There ARE people reporting issues but the failure percentage is low. Like everything else the media picks up on the negative and explodes it. There's always going to be software issues with major updates since the industry is so non-standardized it's hard to write software for every component in the world. Somehow this update, which causes far less failure than the Ransomware attacks recently hitting the public, has gotten more exposure. "Ooh people are evil but some big, huge company made a mistake! Kill em!"

Wow... not sure how that turned into a media rant... my apologies. :)

I agree, it hasn't seemed nearly as bad as those April reports made it sound, but there are still the occasional exceptions.  I'm sure MS has also done a lot of fixing since those early roll-outs as well. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm not certain this caused my issue, as the update is running fine on the other machine it has loaded on so far.  I think it more probable that if you have a problem, the update compounds it. 

In the past I've had fresh installs of 8 and 8.1 have errors for one reason or another.  It's good to have a resource like DISM to turn to in those instances, and it's proven itself a reliable utility for correcting problems.

It would be interesting to see how many are the result of 8.1 to 10 upgrades vs. 10 install outright. I ageree, that in most cases there was already a problem before the Creative update released which was brought to light post update.

Yeah, could be a prob with my existing install, although this was a fresh W10 image onto a fresh SSD with minimal junk installed. Don't get me wrong, I like Microsoft. There. I said it. I think BG's staying true to his original passion and visions around computing - I mean, check Visual Studio Community - free, powerful and feature packed (with very little limitation for hobby coders). I'm just letting off steam because the idea of BSODs from Windows updates is, well, ya know...

It might install correctly next time, who knows?

It's all 1's and 0's and all it takes is for one of 1's or 0's to think it is the other in just the right place. I am amazed that there aren't more errors given the amount of code that goes into an OS. Then you add drivers for every possible combination of kit to the mix.  Have you ever seen an RSOD? The color alone will make you gasp.