All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What's the Best Version of Mame to Play Carnevil?

JosieSweet

I pretty much got game ex and mame to try and play Carnevil, however, after literal days of attempting to get it to work, finding chd's, trying all the different versions of the game on mame .161, even getting a whole romset to see if that would help, it just never works. In an attempt to try out another version of mame, I deleted my old one, as I'm kinda low on space, and ended up being unable to find a romset for that version. I've just about given up on ever playing that game again. Please, any help would be appreciated. I have the latest version of game ex, I'm reinstalling mame .161, gonna redownload the rom pack. I'd appreciate anyone letting me know what other info I need to share, as I'm somewhat new to the forums.

51 minutes ago, tthurman said:

I haven't played this title, but in doing some searching it seems it runs fine on the current release of 0.179.  Have you ran this previously on your hardware?

To add to @tthurman's note about 0.179, please be sure that your ROM set matches the version of MAME you have installed. Also, have you been able to get it to work outside of GameEx running through MAME directly?

8 hours ago, tthurman said:

I haven't played this title, but in doing some searching it seems it runs fine on the current release of 0.179.  Have you ran this previously on your hardware?

I have not ran this previously, I will try and update to 0.179, but I need to find a romset for that.

7 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

To add to @tthurman's note about 0.179, please be sure that your ROM set matches the version of MAME you have installed. Also, have you been able to get it to work outside of GameEx running through MAME directly?

I made sure the romset matched the 0.161 version of mame I had before, but that didn't help. As for getting it to run outside of GameEx, I had not been able to do that. I would try to run it directly through Mame, only to have it flash black, and then give me some error I can't remember about improper allocation or something.

It's blatantly against the rules, yes. So you'd be on your own there, although it's not really all that tough if you look around some.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 8:44 PM, tthurman said:

Since we don't know what your rig is, I'll add that this title very likely requires a pretty decent setup to run smoothly. 

Well, my rig is fairly new, it's not an issue of being capable of running it, the issue is that it's just not working at all because I guess I don't have the right files. Most other things I tried worked just fine.

On 11/1/2016 at 7:17 PM, DazzleHP said:

IE: search ;)

The problem is, I searched, and I found one, but it's kinda... 150 dollars, and more space than I have left on my HDD. If I had known it was gonna cost me at all, let alone cost SO MUCH, I'd have just saved up for a cabinet.

My PC is not powerful enough to run carnevil well at all. There was skipping audio and I did not have a gun to calibrate, but I was able to get to the intro screen, so I can say it works.

Like @Draco1962 said above (and he's a pretty smart cookie), making sure the mame, rom, and chd are all the same version is very important. That and a strong PC should get you there. How you insure that your files are correct is up to you (and as said above, beyond the scope of this forum).

One aspect of this hobby is that there is a learning curve and a information ceiling of sorts...so you have to do a lot trial and error. It's all part of the game.  ;)

@JosieSweet By the way, what are the computer prerequisites for carnevil to run well?

• Like 1

Also it shouldn't cost anything. If someone charges you for it, that person is super sketchy.

Trust me, it's out there. Maybe try looking for the entire MAME set instead of just the one game?

• Like 1

I had carnevil running perfect . have a core 2 3.3 ghz and still was running great up to 162 then I decided to update the romset and mame to 178 because judge dredd was fixed and working again and now carnevil stutters for me so something changed in mame . I am running groovymame and crt emudriver so after playing with settings I have gotten it almost perfect again.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 6:52 AM, Adultery said:

Also it shouldn't cost anything. If someone charges you for it, that person is super sketchy.

Trust me, it's out there. Maybe try looking for the entire MAME set instead of just the one game?

That's what I thought, but when I went a-googling, that was all I found in way of a romset of that version level.

As for those who keep reminding me of the importance of making sure everything is the same version number, I get it, I understand how important it is and I'm trying to make sure it's all right, but after more than a couple days of constantly searching and trying to make this work, I've kinda given up. Buying an entire arcade cabinet for it seems like the better option at this point, I'm that drained of hope. I appreciate everyone's attempt to help, and I wanna thank all of you, but I just can't keep this up. I can't find a romset, and I'm pretty much done with looking.