All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

XBox Controller and Windows 10

jonathancarty

Hi all,

Have GameEx running beautifully on my cocktail cabinet. Recently upgraded to Windows 10. Had a few issues initially (lots of screen flicker with N64 emulated games with Project 64 which was resolved by switching to 1964) but now all seems stable.

I was thinking about buying 2 XBox controllers on EBay as per Stryker's guide, but noticed that the Microsoft driver download only went as far as Windows 7. Just wondering, before I buy the controllers whether anyone has had any issues with the XBox controllers and Windows 10 or whether there are any suggestions as to which controllers work best across the console emulators.

Cheers

Jon

I've use my XBox 360 (play and charge) both wireless via the ms receiver, and plugged in usb while charging in 8/8.1 and 10 without issue.

I use mine for FX2 in Steam, so I can't give you any real feedback on the emulator side, but they play fine with the OS in my experience.

• Like 1

The XboxOne drivers are built into Windows 10, but you can only use a USB connection. A wireless dongle is needed for wireless use.

I bought two XboxOne wireless controllers last year during a sale after reading some articles that Microsoft was planning on releasing a wireless dongle for the PC later on. I have been using them for a year and the only setup that still feels awkward is 6-button fighting games like Street Fighter or games with specialized controls (like spinners, trackballs, etc)

A NOTE FOR WINDOWS 7/WINDOWS 8.1 USERS: When the wireless dongle was released earlier this year, Microsoft stated that it would only be compatible with Windows 10. Two days ago, Microsoft released drivers for Windows 8 and 7 as well. Also, the dongle will handle up to 8 controllers.

The 360 controllers are just fine with Window 8 and above as reported. I understand that the Xbox One controllers should be programmable but not sure if the update to do so will be extended to PC use or will just be for the console.

Thanks for the replies.

2 x 360 controllers ordered along with a receiver - will report back....

Jon

Good call! Though i would grab yourself at least one wired for when things don't go to plan, like a battery cutting out, or signal interupt when the whole family is watching :P it's a good save hehehe

• 1 month later...

So, bought the receiver but struggled to install it then found this advice on another website:

Go do device manager and double click on the device. Go to the driver tab and click update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of d.evice drivers on my computer", scroll all the way to the bottom and select "Xbox 360 peripherals" then hit next. Hit next again and say yes to the prompt warning about unverified device. That's it.

Sorted

• Like 1