All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

October Halloween Bash Theme Suggestion

Draco1962

[POLL] Cowboys Vs. Aliens 2015  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose your favorite 3 Cowboy games

• Ironhorse
    • Express Raider
    • Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa
    • Sunset Riders
  2. 2. Please choose your favorite 3 Alien games

• Asteroids or Space Fury
    • Defender or Stargate
    • Alien Storm
    • Alien Syndrome
  3. 3. Please choose between Asteroids or Space Fury and Defender or Stargate

• Asteroids
    • Space Fury
    • Defender
    • Stargate

It's almost that time again. Will you guys be hosting an October Halloween Bash again? I have a theme to suggest. The theme name would be "Cowboys Vs. Aliens" and It would involve several games (2 or 3) user selected by poll from the lists of working games within each genre of "Western or Cowboy" and "Aliens or Space" games.

Cowboys

Badlands
Boot Hill
Cheyenne
Ironhorse
Sheriff
Wild Western
Gun Smoke
Wild Gunman
Express Raider
Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa
Blood Bros.
...there may be more
Vs.
Aliens
Asteroids/Asteroids Deluxe
Astro Blaster
Defender
Space Fury
Space Invaders
...and many many more
Of course, it would run through midnight Saturday 10/31. Let me know if you guys are behind it. If so, I will be glad to throw together a banner for the contest.
  • Like 2

Not a bad idea. Cowboys vs. Aliens is a movie I still haven't watched yet! LOL. But seriously, there are a lot of cool games in that "category" so I think that's a reasonable suggestion. We'll toss it around in the PM's and see what the outcome is.

That was not a complete list and was all I could search for from work, so add what you know of that meets with the the usual contest rules and settings.

I am sure if Han and team agree to host it, there will be list (likely not inclusive of those within any of the prior or active comps) to choose from within each category.

Not that it fits this particular theme, and I'm not sure if the attraction exists here for this type of competition, but it would be kinda of cool to bring the pinball guys into the loop.

Haunted House

Monster Bash

Scared Stiff

Adams Family

Of course since this isn't the norm in these type of competitions, it could be there is far too much back-end work to make such an addition without considerable planning and execution.

If there was enough interest, it would be a cool addition, I mean come on, high scores are important to everyone, right? :D

• Like 2

If there was enough interest, it would be a cool addition, I mean come on, high scores are important to everyone, right? :D

Heck yeah! I think my cabinet has been playable for almost 9 months and I am still fine tuning PBX and resetting high scores. Now players at my house have a chance when trying to make the top 4 or 5 on some of these tables! But even on a PC there is a decent learning curve to get VP and PBX to work...but man I feel it was worth it...LOL I think you could start up a Pinball High Score section as well....as a side area.

• Like 1

Not that it fits this particular theme, and I'm not sure if the attraction exists here for this type of competition, but it would be kinda of cool to bring the pinball guys into the loop.

Haunted House

Monster Bash

Scared Stiff

Adams Family

Of course since this isn't the norm in these type of competitions, it could be there is far too much back-end work to make such an addition without considerable planning and execution.

Yes! I agree with Todd - have a separate leaderboard for the PBX guys, so it is their own. These guys are fierce, and if you pit them against eachother you will see fireworks! Guaranteed.

We can accomodate this i think :)

• Like 2

You absolutely can. The DB can handle it... Just another comp really...

So did y'all decide to do this Halloween comp this year? I can start setting this up. :)

• Like 3

I hate to say it, but we haven't discussed it yet. Seems like I'm still the only one here. GC and Dazz are just kinda off doing their own things. GC specifically told me through PM a while back that he was going to have a much lighter presence on the forums since he's got a lot on his plate IRL right now. I'm not sure what Dazz is up to though. So being solely responsible for keeping the comps running, I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible this year. At least not without some help. Maybe one of my other Compadres will chime in and give you more details.

I personally would be happy with just a single GoTM for next month. It would be a lot easier especially if Han is the only one running the show now. Like GC I've had a pretty busy IRL month and I don't see that changing next month, I just had enough time to throw up a few new scores.

I hate to say it, but we haven't discussed it yet. Seems like I'm still the only one here. GC and Dazz are just kinda off doing their own things. GC specifically told me through PM a while back that he was going to have a much lighter presence on the forums since he's got a lot on his plate IRL right now. I'm not sure what Dazz is up to though. So being solely responsible for keeping the comps running, I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible this year. At least not without some help. Maybe one of my other Compadres will chime in and give you more details.

Hello Han,

I'm willing to step up to the plate for this contest and help you out. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a smaller selection of games compared to the Monster Bash Contest of last year. I'll check the suggested games and post a possible short list for October's Contest 2015.

If you guys agree of course ;)

~ GC

• Like 1

Hello Han,

I'm willing to step up to the plate for this contest and help you out. Perhaps it's a good idea to have a smaller selection of games compared to the Monster Bash Contest of last year. I'll check the suggested games and post a possible short list for October's Contest 2015.

If you guys agree of course ;)

~ GC

Quoting myself....that's weird ;)

Anyway....I've done some testing. Here are my results:

* A few games are not present at TG's database, so I'd say skip those: Boot Hill, Sheriff and Wild Gunman

* A few games don't have in-game High score screens, so I'd say skip those: Space Invaders

* A few games are already part of our main comp, so I'd say skip those: Gun.Smoke, Blood Bros. and Robotron: 2084

* A few other games have funky / weird controls, so I'd say perhaps skip those: Badlands, Cheyenne (lightgun), Wild Western.

I think the games should work for all contestants - either using gamepads, X-Tanks or keyboard / mouse etc. But I've done some quick testing. Maybe one of these games could work after all.

>>>> Considering the above this could be a selection of games for Cowboy Vs. Aliens 2015:

COWBOYS: Ironhorse, Express Raider, Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa and Sunset Riders

ALIENS: Asteroids or Space Fury, Defender or Stargate, Alien Storm and Alien Syndrome

I think we should make a choice between either Asteroids or Space Fury and Defender or Stargate.

Perhaps it's also a good idea to bring the total no. of games back to 6 (3 games for both Cowboys and Aliens). Let me know what you guys think.

@ Draco: you've created a very nice banner. Thank you !

Cheers !

~ GC

• Like 1

For ease, I think 3 games in each genre is more than enough. For the either or selections, put it to a quick poll vote.

Thanks for the compliment on the banner! While I am not able to play in the Comps yet, I don't mind contributing ideas an graphics to support them.

• Like 1

Thanks GC, I knew you had some things going on and didn't want to really bother you. I knew you were still kinda lurking around though, that's why I mentioned ya. As for you Dazz, you're a tricky one to figure out! You're willingness to help is admirable, I think you just need a kick in the pants to get going. :D

Anyway, thanks Gimme for getting this ball rolling for the Halloween Comp. Hopefully we'll get some more players participating than we did the last couple of months. Maybe with the weather changing and people spending more time at home where it's warm will help? Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

I'm just glad to see GC back, even for a brief moment.

6 games is a lot better with my schedule. I can handle this.

I love Express Raider and can do very well on it. That's why it doesn't have a lot of votes, right? Exed knows it! Don't vote it!

We did Space Fury at the IGBY not too long ago! Or, at least I did. :lol:

• Like 2

I'm just glad to see GC back, even for a brief moment.

Wow, thanks man ! Much appreciated :)

6 games is a lot better with my schedule. I can handle this.

6 games in one month is perfect I think. Just enough time to really give each game a good chance and being able to improve on each game.

I've already created an Arena thread for the Cowboys Vs. Aliens Halloween Bash.

It's looking pretty sweet if you ask me ;) You can check it here.

The game list is of course subject to change based upon the outcome of our poll. Please cast your vote at the top of this thread :)

@ Darren / Han / Adultery: I've already created entries for the six contest games in our DBM.

@ Draco: is it perhaps possible for you to promote this contest in the general forum ? ;)

~ GC

• Like 2