All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Networking headaches!

RIP-Felix

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to connect my xbox (original) to my computer's wifi connection. My wireless router, xfinity ac router, is in another room. My computer connects to it VIA wifi. I have an extra Linksys WRT54Gv8 that I'm trying to use between my xbox and computer, but can't figure out if it's possable to use my computer connected VIA wifi,

EG:

Xfinity ac (WIFI) --> HTPC in another room's LAN --> Linksys WRT54Gv8 WAN --> xbox.

If I had a crossover cable I could just connect the xbox directly to the computer, but I'm not sure how, or even if, I can connect through my computer's wifi connection.

I have ddwrt bios installed on the linksys WRT54Gv8 and tried to set it up as a client-bridge, but it got a DNS error and although it would connect, it couldn't reach the internet. Maybe I didn't do it right.

In any case I'm trying to avoid buying one of these. I might if I have to. If so, will this work?

My guess is that the Xfinity WIreless AC router is not backwards compatible to wireless 802.11a/b/g (I don't know with certainty). The Xbox wireless adapter is 802.11b/g compatible. Since the original Xbox has an ethernet port, have you considered maybe using one of the ethernet over powerline adapters instead?

That's the next step, I probably will get one anyway, since where my PS3 is located it doesen't get the best signal. On that topic though, I read that there may be a significant hit in Mbps with ethernet-through-powerline adapters depending greatly on circuit distance and etc. Would this be noticeable while streeming netflix or online gaming? That is pretty much the purpose I'm intending, so the connection has to be sufficient.

Hard to say. I have an older Netgear pair that my son used with his 360 with little speed loss but he was on the same circuit in the bedroom next to my office, so same circuit and short distance worked very well. Other factors to consider are the cleanness of the circuits (any appliances that will create noise on the circuit, such as a microwave oven, etc.), distance, and # of circuits the signal may have to hop between A and B. I think you may be fine with any of the high throughput rated kits.

I'm assuming that you will also be using a switch for both the PS3 and Xbox on that end.

Yeah, just looked into it a little deeper. These seem to have minimized the issues with the ungrounded earlier models. It is very simple, just pair them then move one. Looks like I can use it to add a second access point/switch using my Linksys router. I went ahead and got it. I'll see if that clears up my issues. Just waiting on shipping now...

I've used an older version of these http://www.microcenter.com/product/408943/x for an Xbox 360 and a htpc without issue. This was using a slow connection (3 down/512 up), on different circuits for each wall wart in a house with 30 year old wiring. In network streaming content was fantastic. Netflix and Hulu worked great as well.

I use Netgear WiFi Adapters on all my computer towers that are too far away from the routers in my house. I also use one for my Denon Surround Sound system. This woud definitely work for you. Once it is configured through your PC the device you attach it to believes it is wired to a router and takes the IP address from the adapter. I have 5 in my house and I honestly can't recommend them enough.

They're also great for the PC repair business as I don't have to have a router on my workbench. This meant when I moved to my new house I could put the testing bench anywhere I wanted.

• Like 1

You got one of these?

I've setup more than a couple of them on G based wireless networks for friends of mine, and yeah, a long time ago. Brings some baggage, but an easy work around.

I always used access lists via mac addresses, and never had any problem.

I didn't even know they made thoes...but then I've been away from my xbox since 2005 (Collage, work, more collage + work = Life).

I was able to find a simple workaround. I connected the xbox to my HTPC directly with an ethernet (Not crossover) cable, then in my USB wirless adapter's Network properties, I enabled Internet Connection Sharing, and then selected the LAN adapter. Bam! The XBOX in DHCP automatic IP mode was assigned an IP perfectly, no router necessary.

For reference, here is my speedtest using my Encore ENUWI-N4 USB wireless N mini adapter connected to the 2.4GHz channel of the Comcast triple play modem/ wireless ac router they gave me (not sure of the exact specs, I'm too lazy to get up). I think we Pay for 25Mbps. I'm not sure whay it was so slow today, the last time I ran it I saw about 24down, up was about the same though. My adapter says I'm connected via n with 72Mbps all bars(96%). It is a USB2.0 adapter though, but since I've seen a higher speed test I know it's not at the limits of USB2.0 speeds (which is like 480Mbps/60MBps theoretically).

IPv4: Ping=22ms, DL=13.49, UL= 12.09

IPv6: Ping=16ms, DL=13.38, UL= 11.82

Server distance~50 miles

I'll be happy it the ETP plug beats that.

It's fully functional and thanks to XLinkKai I can re-live the glory days of Halo2, or other online games (but no one plays anything else. For that matter they only play a handfull of old levels, pretty annoying actually). Beyond that it's...Um...altered such that I can use it as an HTPC and FTP server. You know what I'm not talking about ;).

I hear ya!

I never played online with it, but out of the few games I've got, I still find it entertaining to fire up and play them from time to time.

Crimson Skies: HRTR, Project Gotham Racing, etc..

Although I have Halo and Halo2, I prefer the PC for FPS, just never could master the control for that style of play.

Crimson Skies was actually alot of fun online back in 04 when I last had an xbox live account. As for FPS on computer, that's cheating! Just kidding, it is superior to use the mouse, but I perfer the controller. Actually I even perfer Morrowind on xbox even though I have it for PC too. The PC has a lot more options, mods, expansions etc, but I like how casual it is to use the controller and not have to fuss with the keyboard.

Psychonauts was best on the xbox anyway. So I decided it was time to untomb the original xbox and place it prominantly back in my entertainment center where it belongs. Mainly because I'm just catching up to the party where the "altering" is concirned.

I play Halo 2 sometimes through XLinkKai with my Canadian buddies. You're right though, it seems like it's the only game anybody ever plays on there. I never owned an Xbox though, I got the 360. If I ever get an Xbox, it would be to play the KotOR games, which are unplayable on the 360 after a certain point. It sucks too, that nobody out there in the world was ever able to mod the game to make it not break. I really want to play it. I have a copy for the PC but I can't get comfortable and just "play" it on my PC because I have to sit on the floor to use it.

I too would like to know how you got on with the power line adapter. I've been considering getting something like that to help with the throughput of streaming from my home server to the bluray player in the living room. The bandwith should be great, I have a wireless AC1600 router (NETGEAR R6250), which should be blasting awesome speeds through out the house. Unfortunately, the living room seems to only get like 128k speeds when streaming (the player is an 802.11-N capable one). Our wireless devices like my phone and our Kindle Fires all get great speeds. Just can't figure this guy out. Maybe that bluray player is faulty. But if we can get a wired connection it should be great. The distance is over 100ft though, and dad/stepmom don't want to see a Cat5/6 running down from the ceiling and tacked up in the hall. Power line adapters would be great.

Shipping... Sigh, It's still in route. So stay tuned!

Just discovered KOTOR 1&2. I heard about them being great, so I thought I'd give them a go since I was resurrecting the XBOX anyway. I've only played the opening sequence of the first (Escaped the Ship). I'm pretty impressed so far, seems like fun. Plus who doesn't love star wars!

BTW: why buy new games when theres so may good old title I've yet to play? I already have like 15 game I want to play from the last 10 years I gavn't hat time to really get into. And that's when I'm not replaying my nostalgic childhood titles. I'm a console generation behind and don't see myself going much further.

UPDATE:

Ok I just got the TP-LinkAV1200 model no. TL-PA8010P here and setup, pretty easy. I just pluged one of them into an outlet and to my router. Once my router reset, I plugged the second one into an outlet elsewhere. I pressed pair on the one connected to the router, then pair on the other one. Once a LED lit they were paired. Then I just moved it to its final location and plugged it directly into my computer. Note: I did have to troubleshoot the Local Area Connection because it wasn't set to DHCP. The troubleshooter fixed the problem and I was able to reach the internet. So that was the only hiccup. There is a noticable snappyerness to webpages loading, they're much faster loading now. Keep in mind it's only the first day of use, but so far I'm impressed!

Here is the result of that: (Computer directly jacked into the ETP adapter)

IPv4: Ping=14ms, DL=89.46 Mbps, UL= 12.22 Mbps

IPv6: Ping=14ms, DL=87.46 Mbps, UL= 11.95 Mbps

Server distance~50 miles

Computer connected to Linksys WRT54GS wireless router access point so that X-Box can also make use of the connection)

IPv4: Ping= 14ms, DL= 75.93 Mbps, UL= 12.17 Mbps

IPv6: NA

Server distance~50 miles

• Note: All I had to do was plug everything in and since the router was setup from before, I literally did not need to do anything else. Now there's another 2.4GHz wireless connection on the other side of my house with a different SSID I can connect to If speeds are slow on the other one. Hmm...I wonder what would happen if I changed the SSID to mach My other one? Would your device simply switch to the one with stronger signal, or would it screw everything up?

If you're talking about the TP Link, there isn't any SSID to change. It's paired through the power outlets. If you're talking about the Wireless on your Xbox, the SSID could be changed and wouldn't affect the TP Link. Unless I'm not picturing your setup correctly. Are you running the Xbox completely wirelessly, or is it wired to another device (like your computer)? If it were me, I would run the Xbox wired directly to the TP Link. If you NEED that TP Link for your computer too, get a small little switch (4-5 port maybe) and just let that be plugged into the TP Link.

Yeah, I have the TP-Link ETP adapter as the internet source for an old Linksys WRT54GSv7. That is what is supplying internet to my Home Theater paripherals (Xbox, PS3, HTPC). It also acts as another wireless access point in addition to the main router on the other side of the house. I have them named differently, but was kind of curious what would happen if they were the same.

By the Way, I ran another speed test today and I'm still getting the same numbers. For reference we have a 1500sq-ft home, TP-links on opposite side of the houes, 1 electrical breaker, and the normal barage of electrical interferance you would find in a residential home/suburban community - Microwaves, cordless phones, 11+ wireless devices, someone always streaming video content, online gaming, surfing/downloading, and etc. This product has my endorsment! Exactly what I needed to eliminate the majority of networking issues I've had related to connection. Screw wireless adapters, I'll get more of these for sure!

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Ok, been having trouble with my home network. For reference below is my network map.

KEY: -))) = Wireless conection, --- = Wired Connection, & [ETP] = Ethernet-Through-Powerline via TP-Link AV1200:

HTPC____LAN 2___WRT54GS (Switch)___LAN 1___[ETP]___Gateway____Internet

PS3_____ LAN 3_________ / /

X-Box____LAN 4_________/ /

/

PC + Printer -))) -))) -))) -))) -))) -))) -))) -))) SSID-2.4GHz

The switch above is a Linksys WRT54GS. In the setup tab I disabled "DHCP server" and changed the "Local IP" to 10.0.0.2 to match the IP range of my Gateway (modem/router combo) from xfinity. These were the only settings I changed; I'm not sure if I need to change more. After changing these settings I moved the ethernet connection from the WAN to the first LAN Port as usual for a switch.

I ran into troble when I needed to print. Nothing happened. So I looked at my network places and can see my PC (where the Printer is physically attached), but when I double click on it I get the standard "...Inaccessable...you might not have persmissions..." error. I know the switch and gateway need to be on the same subnet, which they are. I have turned off "Password Protect Sharing" in advanced network options. I'm not sure that the "local IP" is where I need to change the default 192.168.1.1 a Linksys WRT54GS is set as to 10.0.0.2. So that is one possability, since the Gateway and switch need to be in the same IP range otherwise there can be networking issues. The last thing I've read about but not tried yet is cloning the MAC adress, mainly because I'm not sure what they meant.

Any Ideas?

I know Ideally I should have the printer connected on the HTPC side of the switch if I want to print to it from my HTPC, but that is not feasable because it's in the living room attached to the familyroom PC, whereas my switch/HTPC, PS3, and X-Box are in my bedroom.

BTW: I'm now reccomending that If you can swing it, buy this one instead. It has 3 RJ45 ports per adapter instead of just 1. The extra $20 would be worth it to avoid having to use a switch. I'll definatly buy thoes when I'm ready to extend my network again.

Depending on what you're printing from it's probably easier just to put the PCs on the same home group and share it.

If that's not doable you can also do this:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-share-printer-your-network