All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

crt tube television power on

katuuuz

So a possible problem hit me in bed last night regarding how the planned crt tv will power on automatically.

I was planning on using a mini power minder like I had in my first cab, R.I.P. (rest in peices). This has 2 plugs, when the PC is powered on, it sends a signal to the secondary plug firing on the rest of my peripherals. (google mini power minder).

The first time, also using a tube tv, I jammed a toothpick between the tvs power button and the frame which held the button down so it would fire up when given power.

I'd like a more reliable? method if any. Any ideas??

If you're any good with soldering, you could probably run a wire connecting the traces, eliminating the switch altogether. You could also maybe replace the temporary switch with a full on/off flip switch if you don't want to permanently have the tv always on.

That's some interesting info there stigzler, and something I've never even heard of.

Seems it's gone a bit by the wayside, likely because of it's analog roots, but pretty cool nevertheless.

Adapters, or something of the like, are still available from what I found.

That's some interesting info there stigzler, and something I've never even heard of.

Seems it's gone a bit by the wayside, likely because of it's analog roots, but pretty cool nevertheless.

Adapters, or something of the like, are still available from what I found.

What type of adapter?

Search for SCART. It was apparently an original French concept for an interactive link between CRT's and VCR's? Not an expert, so dunno for sure. Regardless, from what I read it was sort of a "wake on" type technology. In the US was taken on under something different (iEEE, but not that, EIA or something, it's been a long day ^_^ ) The connectors look like some precursor to the DVI D-link, and are obviously very proprietary. I did see some that went to VGA, and even component inputs though, and at Amazon naturally :lol:.

Do some digging, it could be fruitful for your setup.

Hey guys, as much as I was looking forward to accepting my own death and discharging that CRT tv and fiddling with the switch wires, I got a phone call from a electronics recycling center I had called a few weeks ago alerting me they just took in a 21" Viewsonic g180. $20, happily went and got it!

Ah come on man, where's your sense of adventure :lol:

Hahaha. I know a part of me was looking forward to it. Maybe when I discharge the Viewsonic I'll do the crt too. If I can't get the rotating monitor idea off the ground I'll have an excuse to make a mini vertical.

Ps the Viewsonic is a behemoth! Looks so good though.

I know what you mean, I've got an IBM P260 (SONY FD Trinitron) I can't bring myself to part with. I took it into work to store it because it is so huge. I bet it weighs around 80 lbs.

Hahaha yes, mines around 60lbs. But boy, what a picture!