All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Error while trying to load, create new in theme editor

katuuuz

Have you restarted your PC after the errors occured? You may want to download the latest version and install over your current to see if this resolves the issue. Do not perform an update install.

Sweet thanks a lot! Makes sense as I had just restored factory settings and uninstalled a lot of the BS on the system. Backed up the files I needed, and unfortunately already ran the factory reset again, ah well fresh again.

Also can someone just clarify something for me? If I have a 1603 mame rom set, and I wanted to use the latest mame.exe (1604) what is the difference? Should I instead compile a version of mame that matches my roms? Thanks in advance.

Ugh! Is there a way to incorporate v1063 into headkaze's compiler? He only has option to d/l latest version. I'm not looking to update the roms.

Assuming you mean 0.163, you can download the source here. HK's latest compiler will use any source after 0.161 i believe (maybe even earlier).

• Like 1

Sweet. Thanks. Can you tell me where to put everything specifically?? I got the compiler to start compiling 1063 before I went to bed, woke up and it was still going. The time log read 7+ hours! I know it doesn't take that long

I don't use the compiler myself (i do it manually) so you may need to wait for advice from someone familiar with it if you can't figure it out yourself.

However my logical brain dictates that there must some way in the compiler to point it to the source files! Either by browsing to them or altering a config file somewhere. Read up on HK's site - i'm sure the answers are there. :)

I have, this killin me! I am willing to do it manually too. I tried following mr do's guide numerous times but I think the build tools or something is in the wrong directory? Says python not in the path??

Would you be willing to explain where all these directories should be? I have c:\mingw, c:\mame0163src

And c:\buildtools

I would recommend the latest version, and use the auto download feature if your concerned about where things go, it does everything for you. You can manually go grab 0.143 source from Dazzle's post, and move them to replace the 0.164 version to the folder MC64 sticks them in if you unsure you're putting them in the correct directory.

The current compiler is for versions 0.144 and on.

Mr. Do's method works great too, creating a compiling environment etc., was how I used to do it, but headkaze's compiler is just so much faster IMO.

Edited by tthurman
corrections to my post
  • Like 1

Pro tip, if repeating the compile due to failure, make sure to delete the contents of 'obj', or delete the directory entirely before restarting the compile (found in the source or src directory).

Also, if you are using any multithreading options during compile - disable them. It only makes the compile faster, but will cause problems if you select the wrong type for your system. If you disable multithreading entirely, you eliminate it as a possible suspect in compile failure.

• Like 1

Good tip! Thanks man will try and slay the dragon again tonight. Would you recommend ticking 'clean compile'?

Again, i don't use the compiler myself, but deleteing the 'obj' directory, and choosing a non-multithreaded (single thread) option will give you the best chance at a successful compile ;)

Thanks everyone. I pray all goes well. Don't know what caused it to hang for 7hours as I downloaded latest through MC64 just to see where everything should go. I'll reinstall MC64 and rid of all the directories I tried with and try again.