All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New laptop, new OS, help me!

DazzleHP

Hey folks,

I just got me a new laptop, it's quite powerful! But there is one thing i hate about it instantly - this windows 8.1! I just want menus, that i can use to navigate my computer, not these giant frikkin icons that insist i use facerape, or twatface or the like. Is there an easy way out of this madness?! If so i will listen - eagerly!

Well its not a full on Windows 8 shell but a start menu replacement with some extra features. TBH, I got used to the layout of W8, but never got over the lack of my start menu. ;)

• Like 1

I can vouch for DisplayFusion Pro. It's absolutely brilliant, and I'd be lost without it!

I have 3 monitors and a TV connected to my PC and have set up hotkeys to control which screens are enabled and at what resolution. It also automatically moves and resizes windows belonging to specified programs, which is very handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! i went with Classic Shell in the end and am very happy now. That Metro crap has no business being on a desktop or laptop. I usually have no problem with accepting change but that... thing, was just too much :P

On the plus side it is lightning fast! But i'm not entirely sure if it's solely the improvement to the OS or if my new specs are giving it a kick ^_^ I suspect it's both but this boots in less than 10 seconds. Awesome.

About Display Fusion - i don't have any second monitors but was wondering if will it allow me to use a tab as a second monitor? My Dad got a new one for xmas and gave me the old one - which doesn't work unless plugged into the wall or a computer :rolleyes: Second mini display would be an ideal use for it.

• Like 1

It probably won't unless you can trick the OS into detecting the tab as a monitor. too bad you don't live down the street as I have an older 19" LCD that I'd give ya just to make more room in the office and keep it out of a closet.

It is an old Philips 170B2 that my sister scored for me when her company was upgrading to newer, larger, light-weight LCDs. Has a built-in speaker base and is thick and much heavier than monitors available today.

You people and your classic shells. :lol: I got Win 8.1 computer last year and I just throw up all I want into folders on the desktop and pin other stuff like MAME on the taskbar. Not to say that those menu programs do bring back the Win 7 and earlier appearance, but I like right clicking on the Win 8.1 Start button because it has more options like Control Panel, Device Manager, Power Options, Task Scheduler, Network info, and System Properties.

Computers with 8.1 boot much faster. I'm sure the OS has something to do with it too. No crashes, freezes, BSODs, or serious errors so far. If it didn't look so funky, it would be far better!

EDIT: on 8.1, right click on the taskbar, select Properties > Navigation tab > and be sure to check "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start". Now you'll never have to see ugly tiles again.

• Like 2

For me I gotta give a shout out for Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix these two programs are just awesome for Win 8.1 users!!

ModernMix especially since it will allow you to create shortcuts of any Win 8 Store App/Game and put it on your desktop and have them run in Window or Fullscreen.

You people and your classic shells. :lol: I got Win 8.1 computer last year and I just throw up all I want into folders on the desktop and pin other stuff like MAME on the taskbar. Not to say that those menu programs do bring back the Win 7 and earlier appearance, but I like right clicking on the Win 8.1 Start button because it has more options like Control Panel, Device Manager, Power Options, Task Scheduler, Network info, and System Properties.

Computers with 8.1 boot much faster. I'm sure the OS has something to do with it too. No crashes, freezes, BSODs, or serious errors so far. If it didn't look so funky, it would be far better!

That's all fair enough on your side, but i've always kept a tidy desktop, and i hate a busy taskbar too - the more native taskbar stuff, the less room i have for open programs. But that's why the world is so diverse - we are all individuals ;)

And thanks for the right-click tip - when i posted originally i was overwhelmed with the changes and couldn't find the simplest of things that someone like me likes to alter or "sort out sharpish" when encountering a fresh OS. But all is well and good now!

Also, i would agree that Win 8.1 is fookin fast! OMG it's hasty! If we could have it's speed coupled with W7's UI, i think i would finally be happy with Windows :P