All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Has anyone considered a Halloween Classics Spooktacular Comp?

Draco1962

I was thinking more along the lines of throwing the pins in there just for those guys, not for all of us to load up and run both, but more of a gaming bash that has something in it for them too.

Seems as much as everyone is here together on the same forums, we all hang out in our own little corners of it.

I don't want to make light of the work involved to make this all happen because I have no idea, so excuse my ignorance if it's coming across that way.

• Like 1

I think it could be a good idea Todd, and a nice way to bring us all together. Do you happen to know which (apart from the two you posted) are popular amongst pinballers that are horror themed?

I really wanna install PinballX one of these days, but i'm worried it'll take over my life :P

I don't, and I actually just googled Monster Mash, pinball, or something along those lines to find those. I've yet to dive into the world of virtual pins, but there should be quite of few I would think. Going from memory I recall Tales from the Crypt, Elvira almost immediately, so I've got to think there are a bunch of good ones to choose from.

Probably best to get it straight from the source if the intent is to include them, without their input, it's unlikely they'll opt to play.

@Den - We will keep this thread open here for the brain storming and behind the scenes details and let you post the official thread in The Arena with the comp games & rules.

@Todd - I would like to see how this comp goes with just the arcade games this time around as it is gettng pretty close to time for it to start and, maybe in a few moths, we can start planning an arcade/pin crossover comp along similar lines.

• Like 1

So open the thread up and let's get this puppy going. You can hide the thread until October if you want. ;)

Where's the list of games? I'll add them to the db.

If you want to do the snapper plugin for it I need to make an adjustment to the php code and can't test until the games are in the database.

I also need to create an online favorites file for this. I can probably generate one using the comp name.

I have lots to do before this comp gets started... ;)

Snapper plugin

Making use of the snapper plugin will not be mandatory as we've decided to open up the contest to all.

Suggested games so far... [the contest will be MAME only]

Black Widow

Rampage

Satan's Hollow

Satan of Saturn

Wizard of Wor

Ghouls-n-Ghosts [already part of the main comp]

Ghosts-n-Goblins

Nightmare in the Dark

Monster Bash

Demon's World / Horror Story

Vs. Castlevania

Splatter House

Haunted Castle

Sinistar

Maybe come up with two addtiontal titles to make it 15 in total ?

Contest title

Monster Mash Classic Arcade Bash

Contest banner

link [@Draco > could you perhaps create a widescreen version of your banner ? ;) ]

Contest span

All 15 (?) games will be played from 10/3 through 10/31. You can pick any of the 15 games.

Contest thread

I'll create the thread at our Arena Forum as soon as all of the games (and rules) have been decided. In the next few days probably ;)

@Todd - maybe in a few moths, we can start planning an arcade/pin crossover comp along similar lines.

Again, a great idea to host an arcade / pin crossover contest :) Maybe a nice idea for a Christmass comp ;)

I'm using my phone right now...maybe something like the aspect ratio of the Blue Wish banner (PC game at the Arena Forum) ?

Pretty much all of our game banners / marquees have a (very) widescreen ratio...that's the reason of my request ;) It's already a very cool banner. I like the added GE logo :)

Possible considerations for other games to round out the list (although I don't know which or if any are playable via MAME):

King of the Monsters (not sure if playable via MAME or not - is an SNK - Neo-Geo title)

Wonderboy in Monster Land

Monster Farm Jump (Japanese title 2001)

Monsters World (Super Pang bootleg)

Dungeons and Dragons too please!! The four player one, I can't remember what it's called.

Galaga '88 would be sweet too, big scary alien bosses and all. ;)

• Like 1

For convenience, suggested so far:

Black Widow
Rampage
Satan's Hollow
Satan of Saturn
Wizard of Wor
Ghosts-n-Goblins
Nightmare in the Dark
Monster Bash
Demon's World / Horror Story
Vs. Castlevania
Splatter House
Haunted Castle
Sinistar
King of the Monsters
Wonderboy in Monster Land
Monster Farm Jump
Monsters World
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Galaga '88

Chiller

Any more?

Added :) did i miss that post?

No, I received a PM.

I think we can create our poll now. Top 15 games will be in our contest ? I think with a selection of 20 games quite a few games will receive an equal amount of votes..... :blink:

I was thinking, maybe we should go the "no-vote" route, people vote for the 5 they least wish to play?

If we ask everybody to choose their 5 least favorite games we presume they are familiar with each game on the list...

I think quite a few of us are not familiar with all of these games. We could perhaps ask everyone to select their top 5 favorite games. When a lot of games receive an equal amount of votes we (mods) could decide which games will be selected for the contest...Just an idea. Shoot at it if you want :P...Better ideas are always welcome B)

Come to think of it...I'm also fine with both options ;) If you'd like to add the poll please be my guest :)...either way is fine with me ;)

...Btw, do you think we should we test each game before adding it to our poll list ? UPDATE: see Monster Mash / Snapper tool PM; a few games we should discuss before adding those games to our poll...