All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Video card of choice?

tthurman

18 members have voted

1. 1. GPU of choice

• nVidia
    • AMD
    • Intel HD Graphics

There seem to be a mixed bag of user types here, HTPC, arcade, a little of both, so I'm curious as to what is the GPU maker that gets the nod.

I'm presently working on two builds, a HTPC mainly for music and movies in our main viewing area, and a second one for a multipurpose arcade build for the rec room.

I was set on using a HD5770 for my arcade build, until I started really doing some research on things I aimed to achieve with my setup. In addition to MAME, I would like to run Supermodel as well as some Pinball emulators, both which seems to work better on nVidia based GPU's. So I figured the 5770 would make a fine HTPC card for audio/video playback for my HTPC, well until it started artifacting. Anyway, I'm now leaning towards a 750 TI for the arcade build, and hoping XFX comes through on the double lifetime warranty on my 5770.

I plan to use HDMI output for sound and video, and I've always got the impression that AMD cards had the advantage here from a surround sound standpoint.

When I was building my current rig, PCSX2 was another emulator that was reporting better performance through nVidia. So based on that info I'm still running a GTX 460 in my gaming rig which even today keeps up pretty admirably with just about anything I throw at it. Having said that I don't actually have much experience with AMD cards. They certainly have a good reputation.

I wanna throw some love for AMD :D the last nVidia card i had was 9800...GT? I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. That said i went for a HD5750 in my HTPC and it gave 3 years of blinding service. Could run almost all PS2 and Gamecube games @60fps. You get more bang for your buck with AMD but you need to be OK with fiddling to get the most out of them.

I'll never go back now - well i do have a HD7870 and by golly! :o:P

/brag

If you want to use a CRT-setup like "real" arcade does :D i can only recommend AMD/ATI with GroovyMAME. You cannot get closer to the real thing. The most powerful card would be the Radeon HD 4890, specifically the Sapphire Toxic Edition. It is the last model which works with the hacked ATI-Calamity drivers. If you want to use some modern emulators or want some modern games in your setup, this is the way to go.

If you are looking for a Weecade/Bartop Setup, go with Intel-Onboard 4000 > upwards, as these models are a serious replacement to a real graphic-card regarding shaders and graphics power. Look specificaly for low thermal production processor-models, as you need less cooling and you have less power consumption ;) . There are powerful processors with a TP of 30Watts or less which is really great. Imagine a full setup with a power consumption of less than 100Watts... this is very nice and cheap, especially when you get your power bill, you will smile big :D

All other setups are just pure own taste and like IMHO. I would go NVIDIA in that case, because of innovations like CUDA and Physics, where NVIDIA always was first as a inventor.

I have always used GeForce cards. The one card I had that was different was an ATI Radeon HD 5770. Failed in 6 months. Silly me for turning my back on nVidia.

Just updated my older GeForce card to a Zotac GeForce GTX 770 (also had to upgrade to an 850W PSU). This thing is amazing and runs everything I am throwing at it on top settings.

The most powerful card would be the Radeon HD 4890, specifically the Sapphire Toxic Edition.

Interesting, I have a MSI 4890, that still plays most games well. Granted it's not the one you mention, but if wasn't stuck in DX 10, I'd probably still be gaming on it. I had it in the HTPC for a little while, but it's hard to justify that power hungry card for video playback.

My arcade build is a pedestal style, plugging into a Samsung flat panel TV, I was leaning toward the nivida mostly for Supermodel support, as it seems driver updates for RAGE wrenched AMD cards working with any remotely new drivers.

There seem to be a mixed bag of user types here, HTPC, arcade, a little of both, so I'm curious as to what is the GPU maker that gets the nod.

I'm presently working on two builds, a HTPC mainly for music and movies in our main viewing area, and a second one for a multipurpose arcade build for the rec room.

I was set on using a HD5770 for my arcade build, until I started really doing some research on things I aimed to achieve with my setup. In addition to MAME, I would like to run Supermodel as well as some Pinball emulators, both which seems to work better on nVidia based GPU's. So I figured the 5770 would make a fine HTPC card for audio/video playback for my HTPC, well until it started artifacting. Anyway, I'm now leaning towards a 750 TI for the arcade build, and hoping XFX comes through on the double lifetime warranty on my 5770.

I plan to use HDMI output for sound and video, and I've always got the impression that AMD cards had the advantage here from a surround sound standpoint.

I just switched from a Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB DDR3 to a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 a few months ago on my primary workhorse/PC gaming/HTPC rig and I am thoroughly pleased with it. I have been an nVidia fanboy for many years now and have had very little issue. More about my recent build here.

The mobo of the new rig had the built-in GPU which is probably fine for surfing and light gaming or video playback, but not nearly enough firepower for today's GPU intensive games.

Interesting, I have a MSI 4890, that still plays most games well. Granted it's not the one you mention, but if wasn't stuck in DX 10, I'd probably still be gaming on it. I had it in the HTPC for a little while, but it's hard to justify that power hungry card for video playback.

My arcade build is a pedestal style, plugging into a Samsung flat panel TV, I was leaning toward the nivida mostly for Supermodel support, as it seems driver updates for RAGE wrenched AMD cards working with any remotely new drivers.

Like I said... the 4890 would be the best choice for a CRT setup, that is a tube-tv or tube-monitor in a cab. So my tip goes for all Tube-Lovers (like me :D ) . I know that it can be difficult to setup a tube, but if you have it, you will never want to go back (to LED, LCD). Arcade is tube, everything else is just.... dont want to say that here ;) I am a tube-nazi :D

I've had AMD/ATI cards and never had much in the way of issues however always preferred nVidia... Although around 2008-2010 I preferred AMD but since the end of 2010 I've been nVidia all the way.

I have a GTX 680 in my main PC, and a GTX 670 in my HTPC. I do wish I got a GTX 760 for the HTPC maybe would save a few bucks as I bought the smaller ASUS DirectCU Mini but it's actually a bit taller than thought but the length isn't long at all and sorta interferes with the height of my case a bit (can't use the stabilizing bracket so I can't stack anything on top of my case) plus I don't game too much. Maybe when the 860 comes out I'll upgrade the HTPC or something.

I'll put the only vote for Intel HD.

I am currently using Intel HD4000 Integrated Graphics, I was previously using a EVGA GTX 770 4gb ACX but sold it on as I needed the money for other things.

To be honest though I have everything I need with the HD4000 as it runs everything I throw at it.

I got a NVidia. When I finally chose the right one, it works like a charm with PCSX2 and Dolphin. No idea what number it is, I'd have to look that up! It's stuck in there and it works:)

One prob though - I think I was having problems with the video on PCSX2 'jumping' and got half-way down a research trial explaining that this is a prob specific to NVidia cards... I beleive there is a workaround somewhere - I got distracted by something else at that point! Now I just play jumpy Tekken.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

i've been more of a HTPC enthusiast than i have been an arcade builder. i've found that the HD graphics just dont cut it yet for me with all the HTPC software floating about needing blending. i have a amd 5770 jaguar out of an HP, and works very well. borderlands 2 plays fairly well and most of my content is displayed well.