All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Full Configuration Mame Package

Great guide Ranzo! I'm almost finished my install, so wish I'd seen this guide a month ago! But having just had a read through it, I'll be using some of your instructions to fine tune my system.

I also haven't got Daphne up and running yet, so will certainly use your step-my-step instructions to get me through it - I haven't been able to find any instructions as good as that anywhere.

Nice work - thank you.

Thanks for Your post ! Actually this will be the final version (1.6) at the momnent. Maybe one day I will update it with Windows 7, but this is really uncertain. If You find any errors or You have suggestions, please post it here and I will try include it in the guide...

Bye,

Ranzo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranzo - please take note that I have pinned this topic. Your contribution has not gone unnoticed. :)

Hello Tempest,

Oh, I didn´t notice that, but its definitely a good idea..thanks ! :)

When I have time I will add bookmarks to the document so that You can easier reach the sections and chapters...

Ranzo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am just working on a new version for that guide because :

1. New requirements for Gameex : :net Framework 2.1 SP1, so I have to replace some files in the Package

2. I would like to include a Visual Pinmame Sektion to also get this emu running in gameex. For that, I need Your help

So stay tuned for the next release, which will still be based on good old Windows XP... :)

• 3 weeks later...

New !! Updated to Version 2.0

Changed :

1. Added new Chapter 8 : Visual Pinball

2. Modified Chapter 3

3. Replaced new Direct x9c, Version 9.29.1962, June 2010

4. Updated Vista Codec Pack to 5.8.9, Gameex version to 11.50

5. Heavily modified some scripts, e.g. Createdirectoies.bat to also automatically copy all necessary files into the corresponding directories.

6. Added another Script for Visual Pinball support, corrected paths for Instant Sheller, New Registry Hack to hide recycle bin, extended links section

7. PDF has now bookmarks

More infos in chapter 11 : Revisions

For downloads, please go to the first post in this thread...

Have Fun ! :)

André

• 5 weeks later...

André,

So glad I found this - I'm just starting on a journey with a MAME cabinet build - first time user of MAME and was getting overwhelmed. This guide is just what I want - A complete NOOB/idiots guide.

One question - I noticed that one of the scripts removed networking. I wanted to keep my cabinet network accessible (just unpluged) so can install updates etc. and connect via VNC if needed. How am I best to ammend that script to keep networking?

Another question do I have to use the same version of MameUIFX as I have for Rom-set? So if my Rom-set is 0.133 I should use MAMEUIFX32 0.133u2?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Nice to hear that this guide will help You in installing Your MAME system !! :-)

1. So if You want to retain Your network setting, just exectute part1 of the script and just close the cmd window in section 2, thats it ! But its also written in the guide

2. Yes, the ROM Version mus be the same as the MameuiFX version.

Bye and greetings !

André

Thank André

I have Rom-set is 0.139 but looking at http://mame32fx.altervista.org/archive.htm I only see 0.138 and 0.140.

[EDIT] However I do see at 0.139 at http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html

What should I do?

Also I only had XP SP2 so installed and then updated to SP3...... should I bother about installing any other XP updates released since SP3?

Really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I had the same situation and if You would like to have a 100% compatibility, You MUST have the correct ROM version to the CORRECT MAMEUIFX...I am sorry...I had the same issue and then I deleted the downloaded ROM package... :(

Subject : XP SP2 : It depends what You are exactly doing with the machine...You wrote that You are also using network connectivity...does this mean that You also go into the internet ? If yes, it should be a good idea to protect Your system with actual patches...

E.G. I am also using IE8 (as You know from my package) and I have SP3 installed with patches...You should at a minimum have Your browser up-to-date...

My recommendation would be that You reinstall Your system with a sli-streamed XP version, where SP3 is already integrated...thats better for the performance and makes the defragmentation a lot easier...

Hope my answer will help You and wish You the best for Your installation ! :)

André

Thank André

I have Rom-set is 0.139 but looking at http://mame32fx.altervista.org/archive.htm I only see 0.138 and 0.140. What should I do?

Also I only had XP SP2 so installed and then updated to SP3...... should I bother about installing any other XP updates released since SP3?

Really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

André,

Thanks - the PC will only be connected to network as needed. I don't plan to have it on network all the time but will have a browser. Never sli-streamed before so for now I'll just get XP up to date with patches and then I will follow your guide.

Looks like I need to hunt down a new ROM set :(

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Mark

André,

Just noticed that the MameUIFX32 you included is v0.135.4 and not 0.132 as indicated on P6. Which means if I'm to use that version I need to get MAME ROM set 0.135 - right? If you do make corrections to that chapter might be worth highlighting that both MameUIFX and the ROM set must be same version.

Also when I unzipped the package it when into "Z:\FULL_MAME_Installation_Package_V2.0\FULL MAME Installation Package V2.0" which meant the Create Directories.bat failed - so had to move the directorie..... not a big deal but could confuse some (did me for a few mins :) )

So far I've got up to 3.5 c) but waiting to hear from you on above before I continue.

I've nearly got all of ROM set 0.132, the 0.135 seems a bit elusive but I have found MameUIFX32 0.132..... assume I can just replace the contents on the d:\Emulators\Mame32 directory. Let me know if thats wrong.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for You feedback !! :)

Indeed I forgot to mention that the ROM version should be the same as the MAMEUIfx version. Also in the guide I was talking about an old version of MAMEUIFX. I will correct that in the next release.. :)

Concerning the batch file...Please tell me what is not working...I tested the scripts a lot of times and when You exactly followed the guide and copied the files to the correct drives (z:) and folders and You have the proposed layout (c,d,z), it should work with no errors since I also reinstalled my system with the guide, so please specify the problem and hwo You resolved it.

So please always use the same ROM Version with the same MAMEUIFX version to have full highscore support...

Bye,

André

André,

Just noticed that the MameUIFX32 you included is v0.135.4 and not 0.132 as indicated on P6. Which means if I'm to use that version I need to get MAME ROM set 0.135 - right? If you do make corrections to that chapter might be worth highlighting that both MameUIFX and the ROM set must be same version.

Also when I unzipped the package it when into "Z:\FULL_MAME_Installation_Package_V2.0\FULL MAME Installation Package V2.0" which meant the Create Directories.bat failed - so had to move the directorie..... not a big deal but could confuse some (did me for a few mins :) )

So far I've got up to 3.5 c) but waiting to hear from you on above before I continue.

I've nearly got all of ROM set 0.132, the 0.135 seems a bit elusive but I have found MameUIFX32 0.132..... assume I can just replace the contents on the d:\Emulators\Mame32 directory. Let me know if thats wrong.

Thanks,

Mark

André,

I just tried again and extracted the RARs and and just selected destination "Z:" and your right it does just extract to "Z:\FULL MAME Installation Package V2.0". I must have created the higher level folder myself :o

Maybe worth adding a note on 3.1b that you must not extract contents into a folder (for dimwits like me :lol: )

Sorry for false alarm.

Just to confirm if I extract MameUIFX32 0.132 into a folder on "Z:" and then relplace all the D:\Emulators\Mame32\ everything else will be OK?

Also I'm still in middle of downloading the ROMs so am I OK continuing with instructions with a partial ROM set and then add the rest later..... or should I wait till I have full ROM set before starting Chapter 5.

Thanks,

Mark

Looks like I need to hunt down a new ROM set :(

Whoa there! Before you do anything drastic please be aware that you can use clrmamepro to update your set to the appropriate version of MAME.

The first thing you'll need is the clrmamepro application:

clrmamepro:

http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/download.htm

Be aware that you'll need to run clrmamepro with administrative rights if you're running in Vista or Win7 (what with UAC and all).

Next you'll need a DAT file for the version of MAME you'll be updating to (0.135?). I think most people rely on the DAT files from Logiqx found here:

Logiqx - MAME History

http://www.logiqx.com/Dats/MAMEBeta/MAMEBetaHistory.php

(As an aside this site has reliable DAT files for many arcade based systems).

Secondly, you'll (obviously) need to know how to use clrmamepro. Here's a set of good tutorials to get you started with the tool. I think these are the same tutorials I used when I was starting with clrmamepro. The interface may have changed slightly from the tutorial, but the steps should be the same.

Clrmamepro Tutorials (Lessons 1-4)

http://retro-roms.blogspot.com/2010/01/clrmamepro-lesson-1.html

http://retro-roms.blogspot.com/2010/01/clrmamepro-tutorial-part-2.html

http://retro-roms.blogspot.com/2010/01/clrmamepro-tutorial-part-3.html

http://retro-roms.blogspot.com/2010/01/clrmamepro-cmpro-tutorial-part-4.html

Having said all of this you may still need to update some of the ROMs in your set after running clrmamepro, but it's a far cry from having to replace your whole set. An alternative that some people prefer over clrmamepro is RomCenter. I've never used it, but if you'd rather use that program I'm sure someone around here can help you out.

One final word of caution: it's probably a good idea to back up your set before running clrmamepro, especially when you're just starting out with the program. It's a great tool, but like all powerful tools a little safety precaution goes along way.

Best of luck!

NullPointer - thanks for providing that useful feedback!

Ranzo - again, I applaud you regarding your contribution as it is a big help to most new to the scene. If you would, please, I think that the name should be changed to MAMEUIFX instead of MAME, since this a derivative unofficial build based on the original MAME/MAMEUI source code.

Regards,

Mike

nullPointer - thanks for that.

I currently have 100% of v0.139 and 65% of v0.132

Can I downgrade the v0.139 set to the v0.135 thats required for the included MameUIFX32 0.135. Or shoul I finish getting v0.132 and then upgrade?

Also do you know if I can continue installing MameUIFX32 without the ROMs and then add them once I have correct set?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello fellows,

@Marc : Thanks for NOT finding an error in my guide !! :D;) But I will surely react on Your feedback and will correct some pages in the guide, so stay tuned to the next version since I will put all my efforts into that guide so that really everybody will be able to use that guide... :)

@Draco1962 : Changing the name to MAMEUIFX...mhhh, but lastly, its up to You if You take the official version or the unofficial. It will nearly not change the way of how to configure Your system. Ok, I think I will have to revise Chapter 5... :rolleyes:

@nullPointer : Damm !! :angry: Because of You I maybe have to write a new section in chapter 5 for ClearMAME... :D;) .Hopefully I will find time on the week-end...at the moment I am just modding my "Medieval Madness" pinball... :)

Big HI! to all of You from germany !!

André

D'oh! I just realized I never provided a link to where you can actually get clrmamepro! :blink: Here you go (also edited my original post):

clrmamepro:

http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/download.htm

Can I downgrade the v0.139 set to the v0.135 thats required for the included MameUIFX32 0.135. Or shoul I finish getting v0.132 and then upgrade?

That is an excellent question, and to be honest I have never attempted to downgrade a version of MAME. Having said that, it really shouldn't be that different from upgrading. The thing about MAME sets is that from a functional perspective they really don't change that much from one incremental version to the next. Over time they will change rather substantially, but the changes generally take the form of baby steps from one version to the next (with some notable exceptions).

Taking all this into account it might theoretically be best to run clrmamepro against the set that is closest in version to your target set (0.135). That would mean upgrading from 0.132 to 0.135 (a difference of 3 versions rather than 4). Like I say this is purely my theory, and it could very well be bunk. Ultimately It probably doesn't matter which set you run against.

As long as you back up the set you'll be upgrading/downgrading, I'd go ahead and try running against 0.139 (since it's already a complete set). Clrmamepro is pretty good about providing information about which ROMs are potentially broken, missing, etc. for the version of MAME corresponding to the loaded DAT file. So if it seems like you're getting a crazy amount of warning messages then try running against 0.132 instead.

@nullPointer : Damm !! :angry: Because of You I maybe have to write a new section in chapter 5 for ClearMAME... :D;) .Hopefully I will find time on the week-end...at the moment I am just modding my "Medieval Madness" pinball... :)

Always here to help! :D

Based on my understanding of the tutorials I should first check ROMS v0.139 with the 0.139 dat - is that right?

When loading the 0.139 dat file I get some issues reported

1) Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes.

Option 1: Select Yes to remove paren/clone

Option 2: Select No to force split-mege mode

2) Possible wrong clone.chd name.

Correct Yes/No?

What should I do?

To Merge or Not to Merge? This is a question for the ages. The answer to this will probably depend on the nature of the set you are scanning. A MAME set can be either Merged, Not Merged or Split. Here's a pretty good definition regarding the distinction:

Not Merged Sets - These invole EVERY romfile being stored in EVERY zipfile needed for a given game... This result its duplicity for several files & is very wasteful in disk space.

Split sets - This create a number of Zip files, where the 'parent' ZIP file contains all the shared files the the 'child' needs. This also creates Zipfiles for each child ZIPfile that contains just the Rom Files that the child requires; but are not required by the parent. (advantages, If missing a set or a rom, it is generally smaller & easier to locate... Most people use this system)

Merged sets - This idea removes the child / parent idea. & allows for only parent Zip files. This singular Zip file contains all the roms required for every child based game. (advantages : less Zip files required.)

Source: http://www.dweasel.com/agmfaq/index-4.html

You'll want to set up clrmamepro so that it knows which type of set it's scanning, otherwise it will happliy go about merging or unmerging your set (and consequently take a loooong time to run). More to the point:

Under the "You prefer: Non-Merged Sets, Split Sets, Merged Sets" It is EXTREMELY important to select what matches your set. Split sets are most common, as they are effecient in terms of Storage. If you selected something else, clrmamepro would busy itself duplicating everything which would take a loong time and use lots of extra diskspace.

Source: http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/ClrMamePro

So to answer your question:

1) Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes.

Option 1: Select Yes to remove paren/clone

Option 2: Select No to force split-mege mode

It looks like clrmamepro is attempting to merge your rom set. So really the correct answer to your question depends on your personal preferences as to which type of set you prefer (i.e. Split this ROM or Remove the parent-clone relationship). More to the point, be very sure that it's attempting to take an action that matches your MAME set and/or your expected results.

Here's a GameEx forum thread relating to the Merged / Not Merged question:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=1983

For the record I prefer Split sets. I figure what the hey, storage is fairly cheap, and it seems to save me some headaches.

2) Possible wrong clone.chd name.

Correct Yes/No?

As far as renaming goes, I always let clrmamepro decide what's best (so long as you trust your DAT!). It seems like every version of MAME modifies naming conventions slightly. Same goes for the rest of the built in 'Fix' check boxes on the scanner screen.

Once again, good luck!