All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Tom: Split, Merged or Unmerged - What's best for GameEx?

Marker0077

I have my ROM sets merged & I've noticed when you have it this way, allot of the duplicate copies are in the same zip file, so I was curious if GameEx detects this at all or if it goes strictly by the filename, or is it a matter of needing to verify roms in order for this to work properly.

Thanks.

I have mine merged with no problems. I think Mame manages how it deals with clones and what not, so I don't think this is a GameEx related issue. GameEx uses a Mame generated list, not a list of ROM filenames, so it knows which zip file to use. You should have no problems with merged ROMs.

The reason why I asked is because originally I had my ROMs merged (meaning to have all clones in the same zip as the parent, right?). I've just switched over to split because I had GameEx set to "no clones unless better", well when I went to look for NBA Jam, it had the original & not tournament or extreme listed, so I didn't know if this was a problem with the way I have my sets managed or if this is the way Tom has GameEx set up.

I don't want a bunch of clones but at the same time, if it's doing this with NBA Jam, how do I know it's not doing it with other games?

I just recently switched over to split & will be testing it to see if it makes a different in a little bit.

I've been using split sets since I started collecting MAME roms. I have really found no reason to switch other than possible saving of HD space (which at the rate technology moves I will probably never need to worry about). I like being able to quickly and easily update my sets with clrMAMEpro so I will always have a current & complete ROM set.

I just can't see how merging your MAME ROMs is an advantage...

Now, console ROMs is another issue... smile.gif

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.