All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Create a Game List For More Than One Emulator

jackblotto

I have PinballX setup where each Emulator has its own list of games; ie PBX starts up and you see a wheel for Pinball FX3, Pinball FX, VP, and FP. I've read where you can create list within VP based upong a variety of things, manu, year, decade, etc. What I want is different than that,  though I suspect it's been done. I'm after 2 potential things.

1. Can you create a list of games, like "My Favorites", that includes games from multiple emulators?

2. Similar to above, but what if I want to simply combine Pinball FX3 and Pinball FX (and possibly Pinball M) into a single list? LIke a STEAM list.

If its possible to do either one of these, how/where would the list show up? Just as another selectable item on the same wheel as above? That would be cool. Maybe this is a PinballX DB Manager capability for me to learn? I just finally upgraded from a very old version of PinballX and that tool wasn't available on my system when I got it.

Thanks

I think you may be able to achieve what you want by using Active Filters (1) and Custom Groups (2)

Are you using PinballX Database Manager?.. If you are then have a look at @Mike_da_Spike's excellent documentation that comes with it (the question mark icon in the top right of the main screen will open it), it goes into quite a lot of detail (and would be a very long post if i just copied and pasted it)

See sections 5.3.1.1 for Filters and 4.1.5 for Groups.

Let us know if you need more help, but i suspect you may need to be a little creative with your use of a Filter (maybe setting a  custom Type on each table you want to appear)

• Like 1

As @scutters mentioned, option 1 can be achieved by a group that contains multiple emulators.

That will appear in the "Lists."

For option 2, do you want to have a system called 'Zen Studios,' which contains Fx3, FX, and M as emulators? So it just launches the emulator, and you can choose the table from there? That's possible as well, but you can also add them to a group and combine the three systems. Then, you will have all the direct launches to the tables. So not sure what you exactly want to achieve in option 2

36 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

That's possible as well, but you can also add them to a group and combine the three systems. Then, you will have all the direct launches to the tables. 

This is an excellent option but with one caveat if the behavior is the same as in GameEx. Within GameEx, whenever I have added different emulators to an emulator group, all of the games would show, but the individual emulator lists would disappear from the menu. Likely this is by design to keep the menu clean, but some may not like it wanting to have the separate emulator versions and the combined within a group.

Thanks Scutters, I will take a look at the manual and see what's possible there.

Mike, I would like to create a "Zen Studios" as you suggest but only for grouping of the tables within DBX, I still want individual table launches.  For me, the Zen tables have a different feel than the other emulators so I get into a Zen-Mode and just want to play them for a while.  So if I have that system setup, when I select the "Zen Studios" wheel image I get the list with all the Zen tables within DBX, same as for my VP and FP wheels. I can always get to the all tables list using the options within PBX when launching a table. That make sense?

Too bad, not possible at this time to have groups in the 'system' list and assign a wheel and over-/underlay to it.

I would love to see amore flexible menu structure where we can create more sub menu's as well, or make own queries, which could contain wheels and other media as well.

For now, you can group them