All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Print/File server suggestions - Windows 11 isn't network printer friendly

Draco1962

Since upgrading my gaming rig and laptop to Windows 11 none of our AIO printers can connect over Ethernet or WiFi connections.  This appears to be a widespread issue attributed to 22H2, 23H2 and a few different KBs and 10x as many non-working "solutions."

I am thinking that I may be able to bypass the local PC struggles by connecting to a printer and file server instead. Any suggestions - kit, OS, etc.?

OK I give up and Microsoft sux! LOL! I don't know if a recent update patched the issue or if I just wasn't tucking my tongue into the right cheek when I was installing them but now ALL three network AIO printers work over WiFi. Bloody Hell! :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

I totally get your frustration—Windows 11 has been a mess with some printers lately. I ran into a similar problem and ended up using a dedicated print server to bypass the Windows headaches. I grabbed a TP-Link TL-PS110U, and it did the trick for connecting my printers over Ethernet. If you’ve got an old PC lying around, you could also set up a simple Linux distro like Ubuntu Server and use CUPS to manage your printers. 

1 hour ago, Vanetani said:

If you’ve got an old PC lying around, you could also set up a simple Linux distro like Ubuntu Server and use CUPS to manage your printers. 

Yeah, I have been tossing that idea around more again lately. I have a few older Dell desktops in a good state (other than not Win 11 compatible) that would work nicely for that. Of course, the ADHD kicks in and says "Well, since you are thinking about a print server, why not have the box serve files (media, local backups, etc.) and I hear the cha-CHING cha-CHING of an old-fashioned cash register as the components start to add up. BAD ADHD! 

Path That Rocks Lead GIF

Windows 11 is almost as bad as Vista.

It’s almost as if after MS finally was able to pry people off of 7 to 10 they decided to punish everyone with a step backwards.

Time to skip ahead and release “Windows the 13th” 😆

As much as Vista was maligned initially, I found Windows 8/8.1 to be more of a PITA. 

I don't know that we will get to Windows 13 before the AI Apocalypse is upon us. Good-bye Copilot - Hello SKYNET!

I’ll be in an island saying this, but I actually stuck it out with 8 until I became comfortable with it and 8.1 was a major improvement. My GameEx setup ran great on 8 and I found both vastly less resource hungry and responsive than Vista.

To me 10 was a continuation of these improvements and along with it came some course corrections.

I personally hate 11, and although it’s not a drastic departure as a whole from 10, it’s just different enough to make it unproductive and clunky to work within, for me anyway.

The Win 8 UI was problematic for me. 8.1 was a bit better and no disagreement about the performance compared to 7. 

10 "put the candle back" and then some. 11 security and supported chip requirements are too aggressive IMO. The UI changes are meh at best.