All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Any interest in cross platform?

Tom Speirs

Given that I have been working hard on the below which uses the same video/audio/input libraries as PinballX I wanted to ask if there is any interest in cross platform Pinballx?

I also see there is this: https://github.com/vpinball/vpinball/blob/standalone/standalone/README.md

Anyone tried it?

PS: It does run super silky its just the capture,

• Like 3

Wow nais! 

Definitely interestedfor Pinballx! Ifyou added to unity, it will be a small step to add a VR room with it.

I was busy during my hospital visit to add Visual pinball  to my wife's steamdeck (she loves pinball as well) . This device runs linux. Most projects are now multiplatform, so would be a nice to have. And if PBX can run on a steamdeck and launch vp a new group of people would be intrested.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Wow nais! 

Definitely! As you added to unity, it will be a small step to add a VR room with it.

I was busy during my hospital visit to add Visual pinball  to my wife's steamdeck (she loves pinball as well) . This device runs linux. Most projects are now multiplatform, so would be a nice to have. And if PBX can run on a steamdeck and launch vp a new group of people would be intrested.

Thanks Mike. Good points. Have you tried the VPX standard version?

48 minutes ago, Tom Speirs said:

Thanks Mike. Good points. Have you tried the VPX standard version?

No, played with the 10.8.0 'standalone' version. It's working, but needed to add all games manualy to steam library, no front end for linux that I could use to have 1 app and select tables

Edit: see this tnread

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 8:30 PM, Tom Speirs said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will get on it. Nice project for me.

PS: Don't know about Linux Flatpack. It will run of Unity. I believe for Linux it supports Ubuntu and compatibles.

I'm ready to beta-test it when needed.  My main system is running Linux Mint 64bit.

Thank you for your kind offer to help.

Im working on GameEx cross platform first. it shares a lot of the code, so progress there is progress with PinballX.

I released Alpha versions of Linux of Android GameEx yesterday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is cool.  I've been testing VPX Standalone to get ready for when I finally convert my pinball cab from Windows to Linux.

I just tried the Arcade Edition, and it feels much smoother than the last time I gave the GameEx Windows-only version a try.  Do you also plan to convert the setup wizard from exe to unity?

8 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

setup wizard is going to be web based. its there already just people dont know.

Web based as in you have to use it via an internet connection? Or HTML driven locally? I could see some potential for user adoption issues with the first for frequent tinkerers and testers that do not have their rig connected externally.

18 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Web based as in you have to use it via an internet connection? Or HTML driven locally? I could see some potential for user adoption issues with the first for frequent tinkerers and testers that do not have their rig connected externally.

it is internet connection and it will require a login here. Its free and no third parties involved either but its not open source. However, there is nothing to stop someone developing an alternative client. its open enough to do that. Just look at the setup wixard xml files. i would consider it an asset to all. i lack a little motivation to develop a client for the third time ashough will be doing something built into gameex locally very soon. i guess that colud be adapted for Pinballx too for the linux and mac versions but not Android,

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Nothing tangible but plans to do it and how. I have been doing work in my head!

I also discovered emulation station desktop edition is cross platform albeit with a paid android version. So PinballX is looking like more of a winner over GameEx.

Thanks,

Tom.

• Like 1