All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PinballX DirectOutput Plugin does it work with Addressable LEDs?

mace

Hi Folks,

Hoping that someone can cast a light on an issue I've been unable to fix, even with a full reinstall. I have a three screen cab with all the usual toys and I recently added L & R playfield MX effects strips power by the usual Octo and Teensy 4.0 using the forked Arduino build for that device. They work perfectly in all games, inside and outside of PinballX (props to TerryRed and Mike DS for their guides), they also work perfectly with my MAME and Jukebox SUP.ini files.

So the issue that is driving me nuts is the MX effects do not work with the PinballX plugin (v1.0 & 1.4) while browsing the menus, I think they should as they are defined in the DOF tool and I recall seeing them in one of TerryRed's videos. To be clear the plugin works fine, my five flashers scroll and blink as they should but no up/down MX chaser lamps in yellow, nada, nix, nothing?

This is the third cab I've build so I have had a good go at fixing this for some hours over the last month, my files all live in the right places and are present an correct so I'm hoping this is one of those odd ones that someone may have seen before.

Here are my logs: 

DOFLinx.log PinballX DirectOutput Plugin.log PinballX.ini PinballX.log

To answer your question : "PinballX DirectOutput Plugin does it work with Addressable LEDs?" : my answer is "Yes"

I have mx leds and pf side leds as well (also undercab, but those are turned of).

First, doflinx doesn't have anything to do with Pinballx. That is used mostly for Zen Pinball fx3, but not for pinballx or vpx.

Try to not start Doflinx yet as it could could conflict with the dof during pinballx start (after pinballx dof is working, you can enable doflinx again).

The plugin will initialize succesfully if DOF is registered and will only send the dof command to the dof dll.

That part is working as well according to the logs. 

Main question is, whats i in the DOF log itself ? As far as I could remember,  you need to have a differrent dof configxml especially for pinballx. In the dof config directory you need GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml. 

The xml should have a cabinetconfig file as well. This could be the same as you use for vpx, but i thought some settings should be differrent.

Also a pimballxlog file will be handy, to ide rify pinballxdof issues or issues via directb2s

Here's my example ;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--Global configuration for the DirectOutput framework.-->
<!--Saved by DirectOutput Version 3.1.6863.36690: 2018-12-15 15-17-15-->
<GlobalConfig>
  <LedWizDefaultMinCommandIntervalMs>1</LedWizDefaultMinCommandIntervalMs>
  <LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>60</LedControlMinimumEffectDurationMs>
  <LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>120</LedControlMinimumRGBEffectDurationMs>
  <IniFilesPath>C:\Pinball\DirectOutput</IniFilesPath>
  <CabinetConfigFilePattern>C:\Pinball\DirectOutput\config\cabinetPBX.xml</CabinetConfigFilePattern>
  <TableConfigFilePatterns />
  <EnableLogging>true</EnableLogging>
  <ClearLogOnSessionStart>true</ClearLogOnSessionStart>
  <LogFilePattern>.\DirectOutputPBX.log</LogFilePattern>
</GlobalConfig>

Hope it helps

Thanks for helping out, 

I've disabled Doflinx, sadly I still have the same issue

I do have the files you mentioned in my directoutput/config folder I've attached them along with the directoutput.log file.

The Plugin config window reports all is well too.

This is a poser....

DirectOutput PinballX Plugin.xml Cabinet.xml DirectOutput.log

The directoutput.log is from your "C:\Games\DirectOutput\Config\GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml" not from your GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml.

do you have a GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml as wel ? 

if not just copy create a copy of the GlobalConfig_b2sserver.xml to  GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml (maybe I was unclear in my previous reply, or it was too long 😄)

15 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

The directoutput.log is from your "C:\Games\DirectOutput\Config\GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml" not from your GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml.

do you have a GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml as wel ? 

if not just copy create a copy of the GlobalConfig_b2sserver.xml to  GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml (maybe I was unclear in my previous reply, or it was too long 😄)

Hi Mike,

My GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml is just a copy of the GlobalConfig_b2sserver.xml which I generated with the tool, they are both in directoutput/config folder and there is another copy of the GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml in the pinballx/plugins folder (although it does seem to get overwritten if the plugin manager is run).

Since posting last I've reflashed the Teensy (just in case with a new verified 4.0 build) tried all the com ports, double checked all the .dll's are unblocked. No change, it's really odd that the only thing that will not drive the MX Leds is the PinballX plugin, I do wonder if this is a Teensy 4.0 thing? It would be good if someone who has the 4.0 build up and running under PinballX could confirm thta it works for them.

GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml DirectOutput PinballX Plugin.xml

Good news! it’s fixed and works perfectly 👍

Thanks so much for your guidance, can’t express how much it helps to work these challenges through with other folk.

The issue in short was that I am a bloody idiot, the longer explanation was to create the GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml file I dragged and dropped the GlobalConfig_B2SServer file and in doing so I accidentally created a shortcut. I then renamed the shortcut to GlobalConfig_PinballX.xml. That may have been possible to spot if I didn’t have a ‘hide shortcut arrows’ program running. So the plug-in could not see it but every time I checked it with a double click it remotely opened the GlobalConfig_B2SServer.xml which, being identical, looked fine <sigh> what are the odds……

Now all I have to do is find all the hair I tore out and stick it back on again 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mace said:

Now all I have to do is find all the hair I tore out and stick it back on again 😆

Some Titebond White might do you well. It is water soluable and dries clear! 

Thanks for reporting back your resolution and @Mike_da_Spike forvh8s assistance!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] PinballX DirectOutput Plugin does it work with Addressable LEDs?