All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] PinballX update just hangs upon reboot after install

MAYAman

Hello everyone,

Update to version 5.97 after not updating for a year or so.  Windows 10 64 bit.  PinDMD 3.  Launch and a box comes up saying pindmd not found.  I have to select that box and hit enter.  Then the front end will start but no backglass will show up now.  When you install and update does it completely overwrite your settings?  All button mappings gone as well.  I thought it didn't do that.  How do I go back to the previous version I was using?

Well, I installed the older version I had downloaded and it's completely destroyed my entire setup that took hundreds of hours to set up.  :(
It doesn't see any of my roms, it doesn't see my pindmd3, nothing, it just goes to the front end with no games, no backglass and the one game.  Totally crushed here.  I was having family over for the weekend and wanted the latest version and now it's wrecked.

Please help  :(
Thanks

If anything is destroyed as you said, its hard to help.

Try to restore your pinballx.ini and your database files from the backup.

Media would never overwrite or delete files.

Edit : did you maybe install pinballx in another directory as previous version ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

If anything is destroyed as you said, its hard to help.

Try to restore your pinballx.ini and your database files from the backup.

Media would never overwrite or delete files.

Edit : did you maybe install pinballx in another directory as previous version ? 

I just installed the update like I have in the past. Didn't change anything. Does it do auto backups as I don't think I ever did a backup. 

1 hour ago, MAYAman said:

I just installed the update like I have in the past. Didn't change anything. Does it do auto backups as I don't think I ever did a backup. 

No, no auto-backups 😱.

I've only seen this when upgrading from old pinballx (xp version) to .net core version.

Installation sees it as a new version and if you put it on top, it overwrites the pinballx.ini and some default database files.

If you use DBM, backup files of your database files are created and can be restored by dbm.

But all your media, filters, groups etc should be on disk

If you can't find any good copy of your pinballx,ini on disk, you need to setup your complete configuration again of pinballx 

• Like 1

@MAYAman Search your PC drive for PinballX.exe. This will confirm if you have two instances installed and where (just in case you did install to a new location instead of upgrading the current install as Mike suggested).

Let us know what you find, and please attach the \log\log.txt and \config\pinballx.ini files from any locations PinballX is installed.

If you do have only one install and somehow the ini/config was corrupted during the upgrade then all the media files etc should still be in place (again as Mike said), so you may be able to just add & configure whatever systems you had before and then use the 'auto add' tables function to quickly recreate the system xml/database files if they were lost as well (which seems unlikely).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2023 at 10:11 PM, Mike_da_Spike said:

@MAYAman dit you get anything restored or working again ?

Sorry everyone, I've been away and just got back today.  I'm firing up the machine now.  Should I uninstall the previous version before updating to version 6.01?

Thanks!

On 7/29/2023 at 5:37 AM, scutters said:

@MAYAman Search your PC drive for PinballX.exe. This will confirm if you have two instances installed and where (just in case you did install to a new location instead of upgrading the current install as Mike suggested).

Let us know what you find, and please attach the \log\log.txt and \config\pinballx.ini files from any locations PinballX is installed.

If you do have only one install and somehow the ini/config was corrupted during the upgrade then all the media files etc should still be in place (again as Mike said), so you may be able to just add & configure whatever systems you had before and then use the 'auto add' tables function to quickly recreate the system xml/database files if they were lost as well (which seems unlikely).

Before installing the latest version, refer to this quote and address to ensure that you do not have multiple instances installed and provide the requested log.txt and pinballx.ini files.

• Like 1

I should NEVER uninstall PinballX when performing an update. This could cause that files are overwritten.

Just stick to the upgrade procedure.

But first try to get back your last files/settings. A new install/upgrade wont fix it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2023 at 10:11 PM, Mike_da_Spike said:

@MAYAman dit you get anything restored or working again ?

So I reinstalled everything, my tables are still there so just going to set them up again.  Have the VPX Beta installed as well.  When I'm in the setup manager trying to map my controls the flickering of the virtuapin plunger is keeping me from entering my button mappings.  How can I keep this from happening?

So when I press map button it flashes quickly and disappears as the plunger is flickering.  Thanks

UPDATE:  I disabled the plunger in the virtuapin software and it still just flashes when when trying to map the controls.  :(

Not sure what to do.

57 minutes ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

In the virtuapin software you can recalibrate the plunger. 

Yep, I was recalibrating and then all of a sudden all inputs stopped working.  Now the board just lights up with a red light and it's not recognized anymore.  :(

46 minutes ago, MAYAman said:

Yep, I was recalibrating and then all of a sudden all inputs stopped working.  Now the board just lights up with a red light and it's not recognized anymore.  :(

I had one of those boards a couple of years ago as well. 
there was a trick to get it to work as well. Let me check my old notes 

EDIT: Not sure, but wasn't it, just to leave it on the screen for a while (couple of minutes) and it would be recognized again ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

In the virtuapin software you can recalibrate the plunger. 

SOLVED!  To anyone who has this issue with the VirtuaPin Plunger not allowing button mapping be sure to disable by setting it to zero.  That will fix this issue and disable button 16.

now to get back to adding my tables.  I will update with my progress thanks again.

• Like 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] PinballX update just hangs upon reboot after install
  • Draco1962 locked this topic