All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[EXPIRED] Star Wars: Squadrons FREE November 24 - December 1

Draco1962

Star Wars: Squadrons FREE from Epic Games November 24!

Play review

System Requirements
Processor: Ryzen 3 1300X or better/i5 6600k or better.
Memory: 8 GB RAM.
Graphics: Radeon HD 7850 or better/GeForce GTX 660 or better.
DirectX: Version 11.
Network: Broadband Internet connection.
Storage: 40 GB available space.

Yeah they changed the link apparently. Found another from a different source.

I updated the original post with a user review and system requirements. I have the Xbox One version and it is fun and is HOTAS compatible. Not sure about the PC version.

If you are springing for the Xbox version, then you are correct. If you are able to run the PC version mentioned, then it should be compatible, along with Xbox controllers.

The HOTAS that I bought a while back is compatible with Xbox One and PC at $30 off for $59.99 (regularly $89.99): Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One (XBOX Series X/S & XOne and Windows).

I also bought the compatible flight pedals and also compatible with Xbox and PC at $128.45 (not on sale): Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder.

Pedals for rudder control mainly for flight sims and I haven't attempted with this game.

9 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I still have my pre-fire Sidewinder joystick.  I've never tried using it with my Xbox yet.  Did a quick Google Search, probably not gonna work; unfortunately.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/force-feedback-on-xbox/493c6cdb-ca82-4075-b3d9-33e9e2595179

• Draco1962 changed the title to Star Wars: Squadrons FREE November 24 - December 1

I've been watching for this one to show up for a long time and was surprised to see it require not only logging into Origin, but also that Origin is on the way out in favor of a new app.  I've always found it lacking compared to more viable alternatives, which is something I've expressed on survey's I've been prompted to take.

This is one that I immediately downloaded and gave a try and it's fantastic to see a modern space sim.  The Tie Fighter and X-Wing series of games are some classic favorites of mine and this one seems to have a lot going for it, but I need to get out my sidewinder and tweak some settings to get the full experience.  My GPU just makes the cut for this one, but it did utilize all three screens and looks pretty damn awesome!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tthurman said:

My GPU just makes the cut for this one, but it did utilize all three screens and looks pretty damn awesome!

Do you have three screens setup horizontally on your desktop?

Yep, 5760 X 1080.  Didn't make sense to go with higher res monitors as my eyesight isn't that great. 

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-VG271-Pbmiipx-Technology-DisplayHDR400/dp/B07MDXF81K

I get a  full center screen and about a 1/3 on each right and left.  The borders are pretty thin and it works surprisingly well for some games with this being one of them, although that wasn't my primary reason to get them.

• Like 1

• Draco1962 changed the title to [EXPIRED] Star Wars: Squadrons FREE November 24 - December 1

That looks like a nice stick too, but I need a new GPU, so hopefully the Sidewinder will suffice.

Playing this and looking at this flight sticks takes me back to when I ordered my Pentium 133 from Gateway back in the mid 90's.  I had everything ready and waiting for the PC to arrive in the big cow boxes.

Chair, check

Desk, check

Tie Fighter, check

X-Wing, check

Janes ATF, check

Gravis Firebird, check

Firebird.jpg

I remember those days. Simpler times. 

The Sidewinder should be fine. The sticks I posted great for both PC and Xbox One and X|S use. 

Play with a HOTAS takes supported games to a new level, much like jumping from a game pad to racing wheel for racing games.