All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Trying to get vpx to run full screen and get dm to work.

bha191

I have a full sized visual pinball cabinet that is running pindmd in the display that is separate from the backglass. I have figured out how to set up vpx in pbx, but when I load a table is shows in window mode even though I have enabled full screen in pbx settings.I also checked no for full screen windowed. what am I doing wrong. Also I have only tried 2 tables so far but when they load the dmd does not show and I get strange sounds coming from the speakers so how can I fix that as well? And one last question, I tried rotating the screen in pbx settings but is still shows up the same. If I go into windows and revert back to portrait all is fine but can I not use pbx in landscape mode?

Thanks

8 hours ago, bha191 said:

when I load a table is shows in window mode even though I have enabled full screen in pbx

Pinball x full screen mode is for the front end, not for emulator. If you want to run the emulator full screen, you need to setup vp. Just launch the visual pinball.exe and go to "Video/graphic options" to set all your settings

This is an example screenshot of my cabinet:
image.png.a8906f77bc47eae6acd33654a759d464.png

also checked no for full screen windowed. what am I doing wrong. Also I have only tried 2 tables so far but when they load the dmd does not show and I get strange sounds

Do you mean that your dmd doesn't work in visual pinball or in PBX?

Same question for strange sounds

If I go into windows and revert back to portrait all is fine but can I not use pbx in landscape mode?

Visual pinball is designed to run in landscape mode. Not to run in portrait mode. So not understand exactly what you mean

6 hours ago, bha191 said:

Also in settings I had to run vpx under visual pinball and tekk it to run as vpx instead of visual pinball 9.0.2.

Not sure what you mean by this either.

Lets get a step back :

does your visual pinball tables works fine when you launch it without PinballX ? Is your realDMD working ? Is sound working fine ?

if that is working correct, you can add it to your front end

Your log is showing that your realdmd is initilized correctly and that PBX is running in full screen exclusive mode.

your settings  for vp system within vpbx is not set to use full screen exclusive hack mode (not known how your vp is setup)

you have set your dmd to use a display in settings, but you use a real dmd. I should turn off autoposition pinmame as is it a real dmd.

for testing I should turn off usepinmame in front end too. Just to see if you have videos.

same for b2s. i should turn off autob2s, so the config file is just your settings file in your tables directory and for testing, turn off useb2s in front end, so you have videos to shows.
This is my setup with a real DMD. I only use Videos in the front end to show and not the Pinmame or DirectB2s.
I also have 1 working screenres.txt, so no need (for me) to enable 'Auto Position DirectB2s'

image.png.872cbc7d2ca45dda344da840ab92b446.png

This all for getting it to work correctly and you can set it afterwards to your preferences
hope this helps.

All is described as well in the Pinballx documentation that is shipped with the latest release,  or you can download from the download section

If you got any questions, don't hesitate to ask (as I'm Dutch, my English is not really good, so sorry for anything that is incorrect)

• Like 1

First off thanks for your help and your English is fine. When my pinball cabinet shipped in landscape mode so it was hard to use looking at it from the front. I then changed to portrait mode. and ran VPX.exe fine. My DMD is not recognized as a screen by windows so I did not know how to configure it. Before I installed PBX I ran VPX the 2 tables I tested ran, but it looked like they did on my desktop. The DMD showed up on the playfield. 1 table showed a backglass in the 2nd monitor and the other did not. When I installed PBX and finally got the proper EXE for VPX recognized, when I tried to run the tables my DMD showed Pinball X so I know it is working but the tables showed up in a small window rotated 90 degrees. I can easily go back to landscape mode to play PBX, but want to know if it will work in portrait mode? I will try your suggestions today in VPX editor, but it ran fine before PBX so maybe I need to recheck it.

A real dmd is an usb device that is not shown as a monitor. It properly only has 128x32 pixels. 

PinballX recognize  your dmd and shows to "no real dmd video" if you dont have any videos assigned to that table.

Virtual Pinball uses pinmame for emulating the dmd. By default ot will show your dmd on your playfield, so you can drag it to an lcd monitor and resize it.  To show your pinmame on a real dmd, you needs to have a plugin. Freezy's dmddevice.dll is mostly used. Lot of  tweaks you can do (even with virtual DMD'S), and it also have support for multiple real DMD's.

This need to be configured per table (press f1 when a pinmame table is loaded and check "use externall dmd device")

If you want to use your cabinet in portrait mode for updating, I would highly recommend to rotate your screen when launching Visual pinball.  Pinballx can use start en quit scripts.  I always launch pinballx with a start script that will configure my screen. I use dc.exe and dc2.exe. 

Pinballx can start in portrait mode as well, but as visual pinball will be your main emulator, i would set to screen to landscape. 

15 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

If you got any questions, don't hesitate to ask (as I'm Dutch, my English is not really good, so sorry for anything that is incorrect)

Your English is better than most "as a first language" posters so you need not apologize. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draco1962 said:

Your English is better than most "as a first language" posters so you need not apologize. 

Too right.. so no need to apologise at all. Americans! :D

2 hours ago, bha19 said:

Thanks for all your help. I figured out the last part. Since I had already played Star Trek I had to hit f1 and configure use external display and it works.

If you haven't done so already go to your Visual Pinball\Vpinmame folder and open setup.exe, click the Setup Defaults button there and select the options you want as defaults (so i guess External DMD, cabinet mode and clear Show DMD/Display - but i'm not a real dmd user). Those settings will then be applied to any new table roms when you use first use them.

4 hours ago, bha19 said:

Finally when I was done playing the only way to exit was ctrl alt del. I guess I need to adjust ini file.

I assume you loaded the game from PinballX, are you trying to exit with buttons or via keyboard?, most people will set the exit emulator option to the same as the exit option in pinballx keyboard or joystick settings, but not sure what key or button number you're using.

Btw- Visual Pinball can work in portrait mode, it's just that 99% of the tables will come preconfigured for landscape. That can be adjusted in the VP editor for each table using the backdrop XY rotation setting (change it from 270 to 0 for portrait). There is a cheat you could use there using an autopov.pov file in the tables folder, but read about that later - best to manually adjust stuff for a while to get to know your way around.

• Like 1

Thanks Scutters. Newly loaded tables load fine it was just the 3 tables I already played that needed the f1 help. I read somewhere else that this is the case. Also being a long time VPforums member I will try your suggestion for autopov.

Thanks again everybody and happy pinballs.

• Like 2