All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Flash from the past

tthurman

• 3 weeks later...

Well I spent some of the holiday break working on my MiSTer setup and unfortunately after just being out of service for a short while, both NEC displays appear to non-functional.  That good olé CRT hum you get after depressing the power button is short, and not followed by any type of dimming of the lights, on screen menu or "video signal not detected" message.  I should see something even with nothing plugged into the VGA cable.  I'm guessing bad caps, but I don't have time for a project that involved. 

This is disappointing for two reasons, they had a nice curved screen and also didn't weigh a ton.  I plugged up the P260 and it fired right up, and it hasn't been on in about ten years.  It's a beast, tipping the scale at nearly 80lbs, so now to build something that will hold it.

• Like 1

I've passed on two here locally on Craigslist.  One was right down the street, like new 27" non FD Trinitron (I would prefer these that still retain the slight curved screen for consoles) with component for free.  Really should have grabbed it, but I'm so short on space that I was still waffling .....and still was when a similar 32" popped up, also down the street.  The last 32" I managed to get upstairs in our last house was a bitch, especially going back down two weeks later after the horizontal hold board went out, and was reduced to a single bright white line in the center of the screen.  Simply sitting it on the hardwood floor created a dent, I swore I'd never do it again.

I'll be happy if the 21" P260 works as good as I think it will.  It's ginormous enough!

Well, guess what?  By all accounts it appears that the NEC Multisync 95 monitors go straight to energy saving mode when they don't detect a signal.  Having learned the hard way, I attribute this to the fact they were manufactured in Jan of 2003.  While this timeframe was clearly nearing the CRT glory days, it was at the same time already well within the energy conscious days.

As soon as I plugged it into a DVR today, video, menu options, everything.  So now I feel pretty stupid, but sort of happy at the same time.  Staged for the collection bin awaiting the next electronic recycling pickup, I thought, "wait a minute....I was just using one of these a few months ago", albeit very seldom but enough to cycle power every six months.  

• Haha 1