All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Retro Gaming on Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max

Draco1962

Has anyone tried this? For the regular cost of $55 USD (currently about $35) and about another $30 for an OTG cable and thumb drive you have something that, along with a Bluetooth controller and Amazon's Luna cloud gaming service, could rival current consols at a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

This looks really amazing for a Fire TV, but personally, I've bought my last device like this the mini's and the Pi's (at least for gaming purposes).  A PC with MAME and a handful of other emulators already does what these devices do at least as well if not better.  If your looking for something that's really the next big step, then it's the FPGA scene IMO.  The entry price is a bit steep and the development is still very early, but what it does it does really well with very little (if any) to no compromises.

I am looking at something to add some basic gaming for the living room. Likely some of the Gameboy/Color/Advanced, N64, NES,  Sega Game Gear.

Originally the Atari VCS was planned to fulfill that purpose and may still do if Batocera turns out to be stable and improvements with the wireless connectivity of the game pad/game stick.

MAME, DAPHNE, and other arcade will stick to a PC using my X-arcade Tankstick either cabinet or pedestal mounted. 

I managed to install RetroArch on the Fire TV Stick and run N64 version of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. It was a raw run and , while obvious tweaks will need to be made, I think that it will work well.

Lots to learn!