All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Arcade & Retrogaming Books

Draco1962

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, Draco1962 said:

My box was smaller fitting maybe 1 and 1/2 books. So what do you think of the book?

I browsed the entire book over the weekend and it's an entirely different book, even smaller actually.  It's almost like someone realized potential had been left on the table and went back to take it to the next level, glad I picked it up!

The pin-holing is there, but I probably notice it more than others due to my background in commercial printing.  Some of the solid backgrounds are were it is the worst, but they are very small and  I didn't notice any big fish eye's or anything so I'll leave well enough alone.  

I got mine week before last week in good overall condition, especially considering it came from the UK.  Just some minor bruising on the corners.  I knew this going in, but it's nothing at all like the other retro books in my collection, glad I picked it up too!

• 5 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:22 PM, Draco1962 said:

Got it a few weeks ago and it is an easy read, but the pics of the consoles are detailed and generally awesome, taking me back to my console beginnings! Well worth the wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat-’Em-Ups

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/collections/all/products/go-straight-the-ultimate-guide-to-side-scrolling-beat-em-ups

Written by award-winning author Dave Cook, and opening with a foreword by legendary Double Dragon creator, Yoshihisa Kishimoto, this odyssey through bare-knuckle nostalgia features over 200 games spanning 37 years, starting with Irem’s 1984 arcade mash, Kung-Fu Master, continuing through the genre’s ‘90s heyday, and finishing with indie brawlers such as Mother Russia Bleeds and Streets of Rage 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Cover may seem a little bland, but this looks like it may be pretty decent to me, so I took a chance.  There has been a recent price drop on this one and there is a good preview available on amazon (but the price is higher there)

A History of Videogames: In 14 Consoles, 5 Computers, 2 Arcade Cabinets ...and an Ocarina of Time by James Newman, Iain Simons, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Once Upon Atari: How I made history by killing an industry

BMOBS stands for Believe My Own Bull$%it Syndrome. It's one of the seminal causes of the 1980's video game crash. Here are the rest, including the problems which still exist today...

Once Upon Atari: How I made history by killing an industry by [Howard Scott Warshaw, Ernest Cline]

Looks like a potentially interesting read and addition to my growing library.

• 9 months later...

Pac-Man: Birth of an Icon

image.png

By Arjan Terpstra and Tim Lapetino

"This new non-fiction book will journey from creator Toru Iwatani's "pizza slice" inspiration to the game’s incredible success in arcades and beyond. The book also dives into PAC-MAN’s unprecedented impact on pop culture, with more than 40 new interviews from key players around the world."

I will likely add the Hard Cover edition to my collection vs. the deluxe.  With Terpstra and Lapetino helming this title it is likely another hit in the nostalgia gullet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Super Mario Encyclopedia: The Official Guide to the First 30 Years

9781506708973_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg%5D&scal

Another gem chronicling the rise of a beloved arcade and console icon that has had greater success than almost any other character in gaming history.  This book's focus is on the Super Mario games proper starting with the first NES game Super Mario Bros to Super Mario 3D World on Wii U in 2015.

From the publisher:

"Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia: The Official Guide to the First 30 Years is jam-packed with content from all seventeen Super Mario games—from the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario 3D World. Track the evolution of the Goomba, witness the introduction of Yoshi, and relive your favorite levels. This tome also contains an interview with producer Takashi Tezuka, tips to help you find every coin, star, sun, and mushroom—even explanations of glitches! With information on enemies, items, obstacles, and worlds from over thirty years of Mario, Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia is the definitive resource for everything Super Mario!"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, Draco1962 said:

Super Mario Encyclopedia: The Official Guide to the First 30 Years

9781506708973_p0_v2_s600x595.jpg%5D&scal

Another gem chronicling the rise of a beloved arcade and console icon that has had greater success than almost any other character in gaming history.  This book's focus is on the Super Mario games proper starting with the first NES game Super Mario Bros to Super Mario 3D World on Wii U in 2015.

From the publisher:

"Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia: The Official Guide to the First 30 Years is jam-packed with content from all seventeen Super Mario games—from the original Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario 3D World. Track the evolution of the Goomba, witness the introduction of Yoshi, and relive your favorite levels. This tome also contains an interview with producer Takashi Tezuka, tips to help you find every coin, star, sun, and mushroom—even explanations of glitches! With information on enemies, items, obstacles, and worlds from over thirty years of Mario, Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia is the definitive resource for everything Super Mario!"

I purchased the deluxe hardcover edition for $39.95 which was just under $10 and worth the extra protection provided by the Question Block slipcase :Screenshot_20230314-204804_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There are 4 covers and they are randomly selected. I received the Super Star.

The book is well constructed and has quite a bit of information to say the least. Lots of entertaining images. Lots of history. Definitely a good addition to the gaming library!

• Like 1

Where did you pick up the deluxe version?

I debated for over a week, but finally pulled the trigger on the Pac-Man deluxe version, it's a really nice piece and I'm glad I did now.  It has an amazing amount of detail and background, although at this point some of it is obviously rehashed.  Quality throughout and shipped in a box made to survive rough shipping and handling.

No World's Fair pics inside (perhaps mentioned in text though), which sort of surprised me given much of the "Video Expo" theme was related to Pac-Man.  Oh well, guess perhaps I have some rather rare and/or more exclusive items.

I nabbed Super Mario deluxe version from Amazon.  Pricing goes up and down noticeably for deluxe copy and I think that I got lucky as it is now $43.51. They also offer a spiral bound edition at $53.61 which seems to be a bit much for a binding format that may not last. 

Pac-Man I couldn't justify paying almost double for the slipcover and swag and, since it is a limited publish at 2000 units, copies are being gobbled and resell prices inflated further. 

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US: How Fifty Years of Videogames Conquered Pop Culture

81FY4lbKBoL.jpg

Named for the English-translated response in Zero Wing and published in 2011, it is 352 pages of interviews and historical recollections of games that defined an era.

I could only find it in eBook and paperback formats on Amazon. Still, at $15.00 it may be a worthy addition to the growing game book library. Some reviews are mixed, with one siting some date errors which may be a matter of poor notes or recollection, but the facts associated are real.

Edited by Draco1962