All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] MAME not running in GameEx setup

ClassicGMR

OK I am not new to this in any way and MAME should be the easiest thing GameEx does. :)

All my other setups work fine - SNES, NES, PSX, Atari 2600... all run fine.

When a game is run through GameEx MAME goes to a blank screen then comes back to GameEx. I have no idea what the trouble is. MAME32.exe runs fine outside of GameEx. I'm stumped as to what is causing this and it is probably something so simple that I am too close to it to see. Someone want to take a peek? :) FYI - I have MAME32 and mame.exe for 0.78 and have tried both. The log reflects my latest attempt with mame.exe.

runitgame.bat:

@ECHO OFF
chcp 65001

C:
CD "C:\Emulation\ROMs\MAME"
mame.exe ddribble -rompath "C:\Emulation\ROMs\MAME\roms"  -keyboardprovider dinput

log.txt GameEx.ini

Hey ClassicGMR,

You have your Mame Path set to "C:\Emulation\ROMs\MAME". Does your MAME folder REALLY reside inside the ROM folder? That seams odd, so just double checking.

If that isn't it, you mentioned MAME32.exe working outside GameEx, but the log shows you are using MAME.exe, not MAME32.exe...so does MAME.exe workoutside GameEx such as using a batch file (if you are familiar with setting up batch files).

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:33 AM, Tom Speirs said:

Looks like you need to get seriously up to date buddy. MAME 0.78 goes back to about when I got the motivation for GameEx!!

I have 0.178 on my arcade cabinet. I thought 0.78 might be less intensive for an i5 2nd Generation Intel with a GTX 560M. This shouldn't affect whether or not GameEx runs it though correct? If so I'll do an overnight swap of the files.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:52 PM, RedDog said:

Hey ClassicGMR,

You have your Mame Path set to "C:\Emulation\ROMs\MAME". Does your MAME folder REALLY reside inside the ROM folder? That seams odd, so just double checking.

If that isn't it, you mentioned MAME32.exe working outside GameEx, but the log shows you are using MAME.exe, not MAME32.exe...so does MAME.exe work outside GameEx such as using a batch file (if you are familiar with setting up batch files).

As stated in my original post I have a mame.exe and a mame32.exe both version 0.78 so I'm covered there. :)Also my paths are correct if not a little weird ("C:\Emulation\ROMs\MAME\roms"). The MAME roms are in the sub directory for MAME. I just dumped the mame folder in my ROM directory so they were in the tree.

Huh... I just noticed I ran the runitgame.bat as part of my troubleshooting post and it does NOT run through the command line in that file with those parameters (with mame or mame32). Mame32 WILL run standalone however.

* Begins to copy 135,677 files * Whew!

We'll see how 0.181 runs on the laptop. (Was 0.181 I have as most current not 0.178 ... either way)

We'll see how it goes! :) Thanks. Just glad it wasn't anything stupid(er?) that I did.

Just for a point of reference:

I would think any Sandy Bridge based proc would handle current MAME releases without issue.  I was running on a Q9550/8GB up until a few years ago and never missed a beat.  There have been many improvements in post .200 releases that may prove me wrong though.   

The 260m in my laptop runs Pinball FX2 fine, which I think would translate into at least most MAME classics running fine on your GPU.

• Like 1

I had a post .200 MAME running on an intel atom a few months back. Was running the classics (even cave games) at the correct speed other than some sound issues on a few games. I rolled back a 0.020 or so and didn't even have sound problems.

For the record, MAME is all about CPU not GPU. Unless Ive been in a cave it still only does a couple of blits (other than bezels, effects and artwork) and the rest is done on cpu.

And CHDs are still more effort than worth overall if its about playing good games.

(If youve been away for a while check out the 60hz MAME feature in GameEx if appropriate)

Well it's definitely 0.78. I copied over 0.181 and it fires right up in GameEx.

4 hours ago, Tom Speirs said:

(If youve been away for a while check out the 60hz MAME feature in GameEx if appropriate)

I've been using it consistently but since I "upgraded" from an HP 2760p to the Qosmio X775 for my portable emulation I had to actually go through a setup again. :) Everything's good! Sorry for the trouble. :)

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] MAME not running in GameEx setup