All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Happy don't turn on the TV day.

Tom Speirs

I did like the Atari very much. I managed to get one and a drive at a discount back when I was a kid and had one as well as a C 64 but really it just don't compare to the SID chip and what artists pushed out of it. Although it did excel in some other areas and some games were notably better, particularly the Lucas Arts stuff.

Agreed. What turned me off to the prospect of c64 ownership back in the day were the local fanboys. We had our share of "Commodore Snobs" in the BBS community.  

But they did some neat things and were great sound machines. The Amigas took it to the nth degree and were great multimedia and mixing machines.

I grew up with my dad as an Atari fanboy, so I never got to experience the C64/Amiga craze until years later when Youtube had access to to the music and emulation was becoming a thing.  Still love the music though.  Feel like I missed out.

Yeah, me too Han. Mom & Dad had the Atari, and my cousins too. We were penniless in the late 80s, so my earliest gaming memories are on the 2600 picking up games for $1 at the goodwill. Since my parents already had a bit of a game collection before I was born and games were so cheap at the goodwill, and my cousins had one, the 2600 was pretty much the staple console till I was 8 or 9. My friend had an NES and his parents rented a SNES once or twice when I stayed the night. I think we rented Street Fighter. The Genesis was the fist console that my mom actually bought specifically for us kids. Sometime around then I bought a Gameboy + 5 or 6 games from a friend for like  $20. So until the N64/Playstation releases, that's pretty much it.

So yeah, Atari 2600 had a good long run in my formative memory.

EDIT:

I was always fond of this one:

I actually dubbed this to a walkman so I could listen to it on tape.