All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Edward Van Halen - A great guitarist and amazing inspiration to players around the world!

tthurman

<edit>  I was still shocked from the news when I first posted this, not that I wasn't aware of some of what had been going on. 

I couldn't tell you the number of songs I had my teacher tab out for me back in the day, who was fortunately an amazing guitarist in his own right who had studied under Andres Segovia for ten years.  Ben could figure out practically anything and he was fascinated by the techniques EVH incorporated into their songs.  Yeah, he didn't invent bridge muting, tapping or anything else he often did, but he sure as hell became the master of it!  It's a shame we didn't get to see the original band mature, because a lot changed with their style when Dave left.

Really hasn’t sunk in....

They were absolutely a band on fire when I was a kid and Eddie's playing was mesmerizing.  I love all of the Dave era VH, it had a remarkable raw energy about it that could never be replaced without any of the original cast of characters.  The live guitar playing was the only thing that saved some of the shows as the band moved closer to the split, I recall one show that Dave was so drunk off his ass he just sat on the stage and told stupid jokes and rambled until they started playing over him.  Regardless, these guys and AC//DC dominated my early rock and roll listening days and I still pop them in for a spin every now an again.

This upcoming weekend will for sure be one for a trip down memory lane with WACF and FW:

• tthurman changed the title to Edward Van Halen - A great guitarist and amazing inspiration to players around the world!