All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

DUNE! No longer December 18, 2020, now October 22, 2021!

Draco1962

If you are interested in this flick, then don't miss the experience.  This really has to be experienced in the theater to become immersed into the epic scale.  The cinematography is outstanding!

Time flew by so fast I couldn't believe it was over, and I didn't want it to be.  Bring on part two!!!!

I'm going to make an attempt to see this in an hour or so. I haven't been to a theater since...The last Jedi?...I think.

Part of the experience for me is popcorn, sour patch kids, and putting a few dollars into an Area 51 cab they hopefully still have. But IDK what COVID restrictions they have in place. I don't see anything on the website but showtimes. I'm hoping I can just walk up and buy tickets like always. I'll see...

Wish me luck!

Well, just got back.

Long story short, I wasn't disappointed! It met my expectations and I feel a bit like they shared my vision for what this movie should be. It's kinda uncanny actually. I think fans of DUNE (1984) will notice a lot of dialog that was the same, as it should be. Both movies followed scenes from the book pretty faithfully, especially in the begining. This movie follows the story more faihtfully IMO, or it has thus far. Especially with the Fremen. And they don't just gloss over the Krysknife and it's significance like the 1984 film did. Kinda feels like vindication, doing justice to the story.

I think fans of the book and fans of Sci. fiction will like this movie, regardless of having read the book. I'm looking forward to Part 2. It seems that they've set it up for an epic conclusion - as a duet. The way it needs to be.

DON'T READ THIS! Not unless you know this story already.

I want to talk about the personal shield and lack of weirding modules. The 1984 film introduced the weirding module to the story, it wasn't in the book. I liked it, I thought it was cool. But  it does undermine the personal shielding technology and the tactics shift such a device prompts.

The personal shields in DUNE repell fast moving objects with the same force as they exert. So projectile and energy weapons are useless. Only the slow constant force of a blade can penetrate it. That's why in the 1984 film there is a drilling type of projectile weapon which has it's own propellant onboard to worm it's way in. That's a cool workaround for this technology. This movie had some cools scenes where they have workarounds to destroy ships protected with these shields too. I thought that was very well done - viceral. But the major tactical shift personal shields prompt is that battles take place hand-to-hand out of necessity. So knifes, swords, and hand to hand training has become necessary again. All the elite training and tactics are centered around defeating force shields. So that's the idea the weirding module threatened in the 1984 adaptation of DUNE. If you have a weapon that can render the personal shield useless, it shifts the balance of power and all the training/tactics that elite troops have is useless. They'll have to go back to conventional warfare at a distance to protect themselves against projectiles. EDIT: I just watched the 1984 film again and it has lots of guns and energy weapons. So they weren't very consistent with that. I actually like this new movie's take on it, in that projectile weapons aren't used much (so far anyway). It's more self consistent.

The lore in the 1984 film was that the emperor feared House Atreides was growing too powerful and conspired with House Harkonnen to destroy House Atreides before they could threaten the emporium. I guess spies may have tipped them off about the weirding module and it's ability to change the power dynamic in the universe. Not at all unbelievable that an alliance would be struck to prevent such a weapon from ever being deployed. And once House Atreides is betrayed and destroyed, the weirding module is destroyed along with all the troops trained to use them. That's why it had to be a sneak attack on unfamiliar territory - DUNE. Had they attempted to attack Caladan, the cost of the war would have been unacceptable. The trap was planned and executed perfectly.

Only a few of the wierding modules remained afterwards and would be used to devastating effect in the final battle for DUNE, but there were not enough to make the outcome certain. ***Edit: Actually the plans were left, so the Fremen could manufacture more, which were used in the years of guerrilla warfare they wage against the Harconnan.*** Regardless, the Fremen warriors and Shai-Hulud (Sand worms) were instrumental in the overthrow of House Harkonnen and the emoprer. I think this addition (wierding module) was inserted skillfully and added a plausible threat that a forced the hand of a paranoid emperor. It's one exception where I think the movie adaptation may have improved upon the book. ***EDIT: Or I just have a soft spot for the 1984 film.***

I think the removal of the weirding module in this movie returns to a more authentic portrayal of the book, but they didn't expound upon the threat that House Atreides posed to the emperor's throne, which warrant this response. I need to go back and read the book again, but if I remember it had to do with House Atreides prowess in battle and reputation for highly trained elite wariors. Superior numbers and training that rivaled the emperors own elite military force - the Sardaukar. I felt this explanation was lacking in part 1 of this modern retelling of the story.

That's not a grip, actually. It can work as a narrative device in the dramatic development of Paul Atreides. He and the audience are unaware of the conspiracy and motivations behind the events that unfold around them. It lends to the betrayal and drama of it all. And this is the part of the story where the $h!t is supposed to hit the fan. You should not be tipped off with all the politics. That comes later.

So I'm hoping this is all made clear in the second part where Paul grows into his destiny and gains wisdom. Probably thanks in no small part to the spice melange, his eugenic Bene Gesserit birthright, and help from the Fremen (especially Chani Kynes). I suppose actually being the Kwisatz Haderach helps too. But we're not supposed to know that yet, so...

Spoiler!

This is shaping up to be an epic part 2, and just like part 1, I'm really hoping they do it justice!

9 hours ago, RIP-Felix said:

...Part of the experience for me is popcorn, sour patch kids, and putting a few dollars into an Area 51 cab they hopefully still have...

Oh, forgot to tell ya. I left about half an hour early so I would have some time to kill playing the arcade. I brought $5 in quarters with me. First, the Area 51 cabinet is gone :(. Second it's been replaced with redemption games (those stupid win a prize gambling machines that are meant to look like skill is involved when it isn't). The only actual arcade game they had was crus'n world. "Okay fine," I thought. "I like crusin cabs. Let's do this." I go to put the quarters in and it only takes tokins! So I go to the tokin machine and it only takes $1 and $5 dollar bills. And I didn't bring cash!

At least I got my overpriced popcorn, soda, and candy. 1 Matinee ticket for DUNE = $8.70. My total = $30. Concessions will kill you! Sadly, I wasn't able to spend $5 so aliens could kill me too.

• Sad 1

Glad you liked the movie! We opted to watch it on the small screen as the movie theaters here are still struggling to justify the high cost of admission and concessions to our expectations. 

Honestly, I think a trilogy of 2-3 hour movies would best tell the story, but the story in this version is still truer to and less boring than the start of the1984 version.

I really liked the movie, but I agree with Draco, three super long movies are really needed to effectively summarize the movie.

Large and important chunks of the back story are absent.  

Off the top of my head.

The fact they knew there was a traitor among them was not nearly as emphasized

The importance and extent of Lady Jessica's powers

Zero mention of Hawat's suspicion of Lady Jessica, which along with the above would have showcased the "Voice" much more than the scene with the Gom Jabbar.

Kynes was to summarized and short lived, the dinner should have found it's way into the movie

...anyway, just a few of the many really important details that I feel left the story unexplained and too summarized, but at the same time made it work for the casual movie goer in an uncertain time for epic stories on big screen releases.  They needed to draw a crowd that didn't just consist of sci-fi heads, which is perhaps some of the justification for this.

Hmm...I'm going to listen to the book again. I think it's been long enough that I forgot alot of those details. Maybe that's why I liked the movie! Unlike ready Player One, which I could almost recite word for word when I saw the movie...um..."adaptation" (abomination).

After watching the 1984 film again, I did feel the opening sequence with princess Irulan giving a synopsis of spice production and setting the the stage for the movie was well done. And If I remember correctly each chapter in the book had an opening preface similar to this. So that was authentic. The new movie lacks it and I think lost a lot of context because of it.

Something else I liked about the 1984 film was the audible inner voice of characters, like this one.

The new movie had the very little development of Liet Kynes and in fact he was a she. And she spoke those words out loud in Chakobsa (I think). They made no attempt to give her inner toughts a voice, she simply spoke them in a room of high ranking officials who may or may not have understood them. It would likely have propmpted a , "what was that?" "Oh, nothing." moment, but they just added subtitles and moved on as if no one cared. It was awakward at times that they felt the need to work those prophetic revelations in without using an inner voice.

And I'm completly glossing over the fact that Liet Kynes is Chani Kynes father. Kinda hard to believe her father is a women! So I understand why her character wasn't developed much. Makes me think they're not going there, or they'll change her role to her mother if they do. Not sure it's important, but we'll see if they develop Chani's backstory in that direction.

BTW, I'm really gald they added the fight to the death scene into this movie. It really was an important part of the book that I felt the 1984 film was lacking. After I read that part in the book I remember thinking, "man that really would have explained why the Fremen were willing to accept Paul into the tribe." His mother sure, but him? All he did was cheap shot a Freman guard, steal his pistol, and run up into the rocks like a little bitch. Meanwhile His mommy subdues the chieften like a growling tigress - what a BOSS! In the book Paul had to earn respect, in the movie he didn't. So props to them getting it right this time around.

On the other hand, they really nerfed the Fremen Religion and Jihad! It was extremely important to the book and this movie distilled it all down to thousands of years of intentional seeding by the Bene Gesserat to prepare the way for their Kwisatz Haderach. As if it was just political manipulation by a secretive order. Plan within plans played out over thousands of years. It demystifies prophesy and undermines supernatural destiny. It's kinda like how midichlorians demystified the force. I preferred how the 1984 film portrayed the holy war...but I guess they played it down for western audiences again. As if we can't handle middle eastern religious beliefs without prejudiced. Not every muslim is a terrorist, just like not every American think they are. I would rather be treated with the benefit of doubt. I'm a well adjusted adult, I can handle some midle eastern religious ideas portrayed on the silver screen. Especially when they were important to the story the movie is based on. It was one of the refreshing aspects of DUNE that I like. It's different and that's a good change of pace. All the more reason it's important for western audiences to be exposed to this is the last 20 years of war in the middle east. There's a rich culture to experience and admire. DUNE should be a celebration of those struggles and triumps, set in fantasy. So it's real, but not real. I don't want it nerfed. Give it to me raw!

I went and saw it a second time yesterday and can now see subtle ways they slipped some of the back story into places that seemed omitted from the book during my first viewing.  I think this movie was cast incredibly well with the visuals and sound making for an amazing theater experience.  So many movies are super hyped these days, but under-deliver.  This one has been a refreshing surprise.

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, tthurman said:

I went and saw it a second time yesterday and can now see subtle ways they slipped some of the back story into places that seemed omitted from the book during my first viewing.  I think this movie was cast incredibly well with the visuals and sound making for an amazing theater experience.  So many movies are super hyped these days, but under-deliver.  This one has been a refreshing surprise.

Yeah, me too! My Dad came down and hadn't seen it yet, so I went again. Picked up a lot more the second time. I get what your mean about seeing things I thought were omitted the first time. After the first viewing, I started listening to the audiobook at work and reached as far as where this movie left off the day we went. I think I like it even more now!

Seriously, don't open this one!

...but Liet Kynes is a woman!

I'm curious how they develop this. I think it really could serve as a progressive female variation on the story if "she" SOMEHOW survives being impaled through the back by that Sardaukar

...and then being eaten by Shai-Hulud

...and the deep desert without a functional still suit

...while still being hunted by Harkonnen and Sardaukar who can easily see a black still suit contrasted on yellow sand from high above with spotter drones. Especially since she'll have to walk without rythm, which will slow her down and make the journey more arduous that it already is with a mortal wound.

Sigh, it seems unlikely, but who knows. If she does survive, then it'll make for a grand story. One worthy of the Fremen leader and mother? of Chani.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:54 PM, RIP-Felix said:

I'm curious how they develop this. I think it really could serve as a progressive female variation on the story if "she" SOMEHOW survives being impaled through the back by that Sardaukar

How would they salvage this?  This is one of the largest deviations from the book, IMO.  In the book Kynes is left on a rock before day break to die, without a stillsuit.  He is delirious and having visions of his fathers past teachings.  In the movie Dr. Kynes was fully aware, healthy and using a thumper to call for a pickup, maker hooks in hand before losing her water.

Hadn't considered her being the mother of Chani, that would be an interesting twist. 

Paul took down his challenger with a knife to the back, so it would be quite a challenge to explain surviving a complete torso breach with Kynes.

I see where you're going though!

• Like 1

I doubt she survives. I think they didn't want to go down the Kynes being Chani's mother/father narrative. There's alot that needs to be cut for time. So if they weren't going there anyway, they may as well subvert our expectations by deviating from the book. I don't mind it that much. It was a shocking moment. That may have been the point. Also, perhaps killing off Kynes creates a power vacuum for Paul to fill. Maybe they wanted to avoid the awkward transition of power with Paul replacing Kynes, but I haven't gotten that far in the book and can't remember how that happened.

• Like 1

Good points, Kynes liked Leto, regardless of the fact it wasn't outwardly expressed.  This is where the book was similar, as both characters clearly had motives to be of assistance, albeit more from behind the scenes than out there for public consumption.  So far they've done a really good job of condensing this story enough, but not too much, in order to manage keeping it coherent as a good (somewhat abbreviated) film adaptation

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems three of these was really necessary to complete the original story, which makes me hope for two things:

Dune 2 doesn't rush the last 2/3 ish of the book still remaining that now is going to be condensed into a single movie.

The final scene somehow is much more epic than I managed to visualize from the book.