All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

“TRON: ARES.” - New Tron flick in the works

tthurman

https://collider.com/tron-3-title-tron-ares/

It’s now been ten years since the release of the long-in-development sequel TRON: Legacy (Rotten at 51%), which was perceived by some as a box office disappointment, despite actually earning over $400 million worldwide. That sequel came about 28 years after the first TRON, but it looks like the gap between 2 and 3 will be a lot shorter. That’s because Disney is moving ahead with a third TRON movie, which will be directed by Garth Davis (Lion, Mary Magdalene). Original TRON star Jeff Bridges returned for TRON: Legacy, along with newcomer Garrett Hedlund, but it appears that the star of this third TRON movie will be Jared Leto (though it’s also possible others will return as well). Although plenty of what Disney makes these days is for Disney+, it sounds like this new TRON is indeed planned for a theatrical release (presuming the pandemic ends soon). We also learned this week, via Jared Leto’s Twitter, that the title will be TRON: Ares, which is a reference to the Greek god of war  — maybe this is the name of Jared Leto’s character, or maybe it’s a God of War or Assassin’s Creed-style game that is the new film’s in-game setting. In related news, Jared Leto also confirmed on his Instagram this week that he is attached to star in an upcoming movie as famous “pop art” superstar Andy Warhol, although it’s unclear what movie that might be (an Andy Warhol biopic was announced in 2016, but not much has been heard of it since).

• 1 month later...

Fairly common concerns for any sequel to any good story. I didn't care for Leto's Joker, but thought he was better than Phoenix's. I still prefer Ledger's over all of them.

We'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait.

I thought his Joker was to off the rails and I wasn't particularly impressed with his character in 2047 either, which I understand wasn't necessarily his choice.

The thing that sort of scares me is that 2047 was also following up on a franchise that could easily be ruined by bad sequel, so the similarities are a bit too close for comfort. 

I really wish they had just put out the sequel to Legacy, but alas, it wasn't to be.

• 2 weeks later...