All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[APP] Loading Video Builder

scutters

This is a small app for converting PinballX playfield videos into loading videos.
@Mike_da_Spike has already done an excellent utility for creating loading videos from playield videos adding an image sequence as an overlay (https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/23167-app-create-launch-videos-from-playfield-with-overlay/). This app is slightly different, instead of applying an image sequence as an overlay it allows you to alter the playfield video by adding an effect, and then add a static logo image and/or text to the playfield video or image. You can also use it to just rotate a playfield video for use as a loading video with no effects added.

The end result probably won't be up to the quality of some table specific loading videos you may see, but hopefully will be good enough to cover the other 90% of tables you may have and should be simple to do.

Dependencies

The app uses VLC and FFMPEG to apply changes to videos so both executables should be present;
 FFMPEG.exe - usually found in your PinballX folder (if you don't have it there is a version included here https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/terryreds-ffmpeg-video-converter-scripts/)
 VLC.exe - If you use pinup player then you probably already have VLC v2.2.8 (32bit) installed (if not you can get it here, http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win32/). The app may work with other VLC versions but i'm not going to test against all f them. If you have another version installed and the app doesn't work then try extracting http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win32/vlc-2.2.8-win32.7z to a folder somewhere and point the app at that)

PinballX

PinballX needs configuring to use loading videos. In PinballX\Settings.exe General settings set 'Table Loading Media Mode' to 'Use loading folders';

SettingsGeneral.png.84949c19e5e549cb9b86126e836263ce.png

PinballX will use random loading videos by default, to load by table you also need to copy the derandomiser plugin (https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/23127-plugin-pinballx-loading-video-image-changer-de-randomiser-v2/) to your PinballX\Plugins folder and enable it in PinballX\PluginManager.exe

Install

Download the zip file and extract contents into a folder. The app is 'Loading Video builder.exe' (the other files in the zip are example image files you can use as logo images in the app)

Setup

Run Loading Video Builder, you should see this screen;

screenshot.png.c1c99a99a4b69a58bcb2f950ac79ab5f.png

You should now select paths for FFMPEG.exe and VLC.exe and set your Input and Output Folders.

The Input folder will probably be a Table Videos folder for a systemname under PinballX\Media and Output should normally be set to PinballX\Media\Loading Videos but you may want to point it to another test folder at times.

The app will remember these and other settings on next launch.

Run
You now can select any combination of Effect, Logo and Text to apply and then Preview the result until you get a result you want to use. When you have setting combination you like click Run and the app will loop through the files in the Input folder applying the effects and creating as new files in the Output folder.

Note - The Preview option is intended to test effects and overlays only, it does not include a final video rotation for the output videos where required like the Run option.

Mouseover tips are present to assist you in app use for most of the settings.

E.g. Outputs for AC/DC loading video

Playfield video with no effects or text, with Sepia effect and with Gradient (cartoon) effect;

Row1.gif.45682f863fe1e59e239433e3b517a8c6.gif

Anaglyph effect with logo overlay, Ripple with text and Extract effect (using Green for a 'nightvision'?) with logo overlay

row2.gif.79b886018d9088568e751f550d299621.gif

All the logo overlays used here are included with zip, mix them up, create your own and use them with whatever effect you wish.

Advanced Options

In this section there are a few extra options to set whether you want to overwrite files in the output folder, not to rotate input video while adding effects, set the video length and to set the video resolution. Most of the time default values as shown above will be best. These options are most likely to be used if you are using the app on different video types for input / output (it doesn't have to be used for PinballX playfield to loading video conversion).

An example command line is also shown for the current selected options, this is for people who may want to create a batch file for processing multiple folders. Note that not all parameters are available for batch use, only those shown in the example - the other values will be read from the apps ini file.

Any Issues

Please report any issues here, attaching your Log.txt file (found in the same folder as Loading Video Builder.exe) along with a description of the issue.

Thanks

Thanks to @Mike_da_Spike for assistance testing

Changes

07/04/20    V1.0.0    Initial release

15/04/20    V1.1.0    Added gif overlay function for logos, and for static logo files (.png/.jpg) flash on/off

https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/24124-app-loading-video-builder/?do=findComment&comment=193893

03/05/20    V1.1.1    Small bug fix when overlaying gifs on video and gif length > source video length

21/06/22    V1.1.2    Bug fix where object not set and improved detection of portrait and video orientation handling.

*** Note - If updating from a previous version copy and replace only the 'Loading Video Builder.exe' file from the zip ***

Loadng Video Builder V1_1_2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

Guys ?? This was a solo project of @scutters!

Thanks mate ! Really handy tool!

Yes, @scutters gets the nod for the project, but I'm stoked to give the testers a nod of admiration for their teamwork in helping him get the project across the finish line! 

The forum staff take notice of the helpers and doers that make this community and hobby great!

:cheers:

• Like 2

Updated attachment in first post to V1.1.

Added ability to use Gifs as logo overlays, or flash on/off static overlays..

Flashing logo image & cogs gif as semi transparent overlay (can be combined with video effects & text to match preferences)

LogoAni.gif.7af76a0fec49d80c60bb4fdaad56f792.gif

Plenty of gifs out there that can be used, some in https://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/23287-loading-gifs/, and obviously loads more if you use google ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi @MrGrynch

Can you give this test version a go (just drop the exe in the app folder with the old exe and ini files etc).

If that works i'll update the main download, if it doesn't then attach the same files again and i'll have another look.

For the text rotation try reducing the Text Size - if the text doesn't fit in normal orientation it will rotate it to fit in the other axis. If you continue to have problems (you may have text sizing issues for the text if you have a mix of HD and 4k videos being converted and select to keep the same video resolution in the output), then use a 'logo' file instead  (the logo file is just an overlay image but called logo in this app for consistency with the VLC naming convention) or select output video res as 1920*1080 to keep a consistent size (with much faster processing and smaller file sizes too)

Thanks.

Edit - test file removed, fix now inlcuded in V1.1.2 in first post

Edited by scutters
file removed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2022 at 3:44 AM, scutters said:

Hi @MrGrynch

Can you give this test version a go (just drop the exe in the app folder with the old exe and ini files etc).

Loading Video Builder - Test.zip 40.46 kB · 0 downloads

If that works i'll update the main download, if it doesn't then attach the same files again and i'll have another look.

For the text rotation try reducing the Text Size - if the text doesn't fit in normal orientation it will rotate it to fit in the other axis. If you continue to have problems (you may have text sizing issues for the text if you have a mix of HD and 4k videos being converted and select to keep the same video resolution in the output), then use a 'logo' file instead  (the logo file is just an overlay image but called logo in this app for consistency with the VLC naming convention) or select output video res as 1920*1080 to keep a consistent size (with much faster processing and smaller file sizes too)

Thanks.

I've been flat out this weekend with our annual summer kick-off party and Father's Day.  Will give this a test tomorrow.  Thanks!

On 6/18/2022 at 3:44 AM, scutters said:

Hi @MrGrynch

Loading Video Builder - Test.zip 40.46 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks.

Hi @Scutters

I tried the "test" version and changing the text size didnt matter.  It seem that unless I select "Rotate Image", the text or logo is in the wrong orientation.  As you requested, I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and selected a logo image.  I have attached the result of both a rotated image and an unrotated image

rotated.jpeg

unrotated.jpeg

1 hour ago, MrGrynch said:

I tried the "test" version and changing the text size didnt matter.  It seem that unless I select "Rotate Image", the text or logo is in the wrong orientation.  As you requested, I set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and selected a logo image.  I have attached the result of both a rotated image and an unrotated image

Hmm, ok - i'll double check. Probably an oversight on my part as i expect rotation to be set most of the time (as loading videos are rotated 180 degrees when compared to normal playfield videos in PinballX).

Thanks for testing, is the app otherwise working (i.e. is the main issue with object not set error resolved)?

20 minutes ago, scutters said:

Hmm, ok - i'll double check. Probably an oversight on my part as i expect rotation to be set most of the time (as loading videos are rotated 180 degrees when compared to normal playfield videos).

Thanks for testing, is the app otherwise working (i.e. is the main issue with object not set error resolved)?

Yes, the main issue appears to be resolved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrGrynch said:

Yes, the main issue appears to be resolved.

Great, thanks. 

I'll have a look at the rotation issue anyway, but just be aware you probably want the option set if you're using playfield videos as an input to use in loading videos.

Probably tomorrow..

Edit - sorry just seen you second reply, can you zip up and attach one of your playfield videos and i'll use that to test with.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scutters said:

Great, thanks. 

I'll have a look at the rotation issue anyway, but just be aware you probably want the option set if you're using playfield videos as an input to use in loading videos.

Probably tomorrow..

Edit - sorry just seen you second reply, can you zip up and attach one of your playfield videos and i'll use that to test with.

See attached

731100766_AmazingSpider-Man(Gottlieb1980)SoundMODv2.0.mp4.7z

• Thanks 1

@MrGrynch

I have a quick look at the code, as far as i can tell if you select the 'rotate output' option the resulting videos should work for you. 

I'm a little confused by the screenshots you posted now though, are they 'previews' made by the app or fully processed output files? (the preview option will skip a final video rotation [when selected] just to speed up previews)..  and can you also confirm your windows playfield screen orientation - is it landscape or landscape flipped?

3 hours ago, scutters said:

@MrGrynch

I have a quick look at the code, as far as i can tell if you select the 'rotate output' option the resulting videos should work for you. 

I'm a little confused by the screenshots you posted now though, are they 'previews' made by the app or fully processed output files? (the preview option will skip a final video rotation [when selected] just to speed up previews)..  and can you also confirm your windows playfield screen orientation - is it landscape or landscape flipped?

Those were from the preview...  I thought preview would be a preview of the final product.  Ooops!  I looked at the final product and they were rotated correctly, but the text was still wrong.  I deleted the .ini file and started over, and now its fine.  The only real issue was the unexpected rotation of the preview.  That got me messing around with things that seems to make it worse.  All sorted now.  Thanks!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrGrynch said:

Those were from the preview...  I thought preview would be a preview of the final product.  Ooops!  I looked at the final product and they were rotated correctly, but the text was still wrong.  I deleted the .ini file and started over, and now its fine.  The only real issue was the unexpected rotation of the preview.  That got me messing around with things that seems to make it worse.  All sorted now.  Thanks!

Gotcha!, thanks for letting me know. I'll add amend the notes about the preview option when i upload a new version (i'll be adding better support for 'portrait' orientated videos spotted while looking at this). The preview was meant as a quick check to test overlays and effects etc to see what they looked like rather than preview the final output. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike_da_Spike said:

I know someone (i will not mention his name) that ask for help and it was mentioned in the notes :P

Yeah, i think i know that guy too. Dutch bloke i think :P

V1.1.2 posted and updated in first post. It passed all my tests! :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1