All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Finally got around to my PS Vita

ClassicGMR

Took me long enough but I finally modded my PS Vita. I will say that after going through all this it's almost not worth the bother.

Positives -

• Easy to do.
  • Vita library is a good one.
  • PSP emulation is perfect.
  • NICE screen compared to the PSP.

Negatives -

• RetroArch for the Vita sucks.
  • Vita hates to connect to PC via USB which means SLOW transfers for me.
  • Sony proprietary memory cards are expensive (though there are alternatives out).

The Vita library is great and has a ton of RPG games and many other great games to play. That alone would make it worth the hack IF that was the goal. The PSP is such an awesome portable emulation system - not to mention the PSP library is top-notch to this day - that I had high hopes for the Vita. Enter RetroArch..

It looks like RetroArch for the Vita hasn't moved since August 2017. It shows. Laggy, clunky and very non-intuitive. Once you get a game running it runs fine but you have to GET there. There's no way - for example - I could hand this to my grandson and say "Here. You'll love this!" I'm not above torturing my kids and grandkids but even this seems cruel to me.

My solution is kind of a "chewing gum and duct tape" solution but works well enough for me. As I mentioned above the PSP emulation is 100% accurate. I haven't seen a thing yet that didn't work right. So what I did was copy all the PSP emulators from the PSP memory stick and write them to the Vita under the PSP emulation. Ghetto right? It works though. Works better than the current scene stuff that's stagnant.

So overall: is it worth buying a Vita if you don't have one yet? Not really. My PSP still does everything and works great 12 years going. If you already have a Vita it'd be worth it I guess for the more vibrant screen and the Vita library. Just don't count on the Vita to handle ANY emulation. Install Adrenaline and emulate through the PSP emulator.

LOAD THAT VITA TO PLAY PSP TO PLAY SNES DAWG!!!

2z89gb.jpg