All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

All things Atari VCS Thread

Draco1962

I'm just curious who will get console number 1,688.  It was forever glorified by being represented in their photos.  I'm also curious who will get number 1, and who has 2600/5200.  I'm backer 4,535, but there's no way to know which number you'll get.  Although I suspect an early number and probably every even 100 will be more thoroughly tested on their rigs.  Still, I liked this update.

18 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

I'm just curious who will get console number 1,688.

I admire your optimism, especially after the mud dragging you guys have taken.

It still remains to be seen if anyone gets anything!

Hopefully the finished product is decent and not some POS that was rushed out the door just so they could say they delivered an actual product.  I suspect it will be met with all the reverence the PSC was, but with any luck may be a hidden gem like the PSC turned out to be.

SHIPPING UPDATE 2:

Thanks to trade winds out of Bentchulikabeotch the ship arrived ahead of schedule in San Fransisco!

Unfortunately, the crew has contracted Covid-19 and the shipment is being quarantined for at least 28-days. We're very sorry for this delay and are committed to getting your packages out as soon as we can!

SHIPPING UPDATE 3:

Great news! The port has lifted the quarantine ahead of schedule! It's only been 27 months! There just one hiccup, the trucks were destroyed in a wildfire. But we're still committed to getting your packages out as soon as possible!

Translation:

SPECIAL OFFER:

Don't miss this one time deal! For just another $299 we'll ship your VCS with ATARI branded earns! They're very stylish!

SHIPPING UPDATE 4:

We are so proud. I now have the privilege to inform you that everyone should be receiving their ATARI VCS orders in the next few weeks. As we speak backers have been receiving their ATARI VCS [ashes]. Already, the reception [outcry] has been overwhelming! Thank you all so much for your continued support and patience through this difficult time.

I also get the privilege to inform you that this will be our final run of VCS units. All our efforts are now concentrated on the ATARI hotel! On to bigger and better things.

Ta ta!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda hard to make out the text at the bottom, but I'm pretty sure it reads: "with a narrow field of view and a nauseating 30hz refresh rate, you will be agape with eye-gouging old 3D gameworlds that will have you blowing chunks! So what are you waiting for?"

Strange marketing tactic?!

The Atari 2600 VR Set That Never Was

atari-vr.jpg
Ha ha, you look stupid wearing that.

Hey remember when Atari released that awesome VR system for their VCS 2600 and shit got real cause it was way ahead of its time?  No?  Well that's because it never saw a release beyond development, or at least it would had if it wasn't for that nasty incident in '83 which made the company bankrupt and ended an era of video games.  Atari had wild ambitions on creating a VR system that would let you play in a virtual reality world with its games back then, back when VR was something that no one even would had think much of being the time frame and the fact you probably were more focused on topping that Pac-Man score to even fantasize on being in that maze running from ghost monsters.

According to this article Atari was messing around on implementing their VR ideas first on Arcade cabinets with the point of having such translated to their Atari 2600 system with a lot of promise on being the next big thing.  All happening in 1982 a year before their dreams would come crashing down like a meteor on the dinosaurs.  It even mentions that you could actually smell anything in the VR Arcade experience if it came to fruition.

atari-clean.jpg
You could smell your own farts inside that thing.

So what could've been like to play the VR experience on a 2600?  Hard to say.  So far the only thing that ever had announced what you could experience was a flyer written to make anyone jump from their seats at the idea of it.  It would boast about it by showing two games to state how great it would been but sure enough there was nothing more to it than that, a boastful hope to ever play such thing.

However there have been recent stuff playing with the idea of how an Atari 2600 VR game would be like and this site shows the ambition of a digital game developer  who shows you a VR version of Adventure, which I admit made me salivate like a wolf who hasn't eaten in months and staring a plump, fat quarters of a grazing deer.

WOV_09_RK0134_73_P.JPG
Rawr

Yet another person would have the Atari 2600 VR experience and upload a video on YouTube so you could see for yourself what could had been.

Even if the crash of '83 hasn't ever happened, I personally doubt the Atari 2600 could ever had the capabilities to use such a thing at all.  I might be exaggerating on my statement, but I am sure Atari would have to scrap the idea eventually at least for their home console version while keeping the Arcade idea alive long enough to ever do anything with it.  If anything, Atari might had to create a different console for their VR project to use with really.  Can you imagine though, playing Pac-Man in VR while escaping ghosts trying to devour you in a virtual plane?  I sure do, but I doubt Atari will be the one presenting it nowadays.

8abad672098f782d7425260f2a865b85.jpg
Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies

On the other hand we had Sega being ambitions about it as well.  The only thing that came out of it was the blatant product placement on a Spike Lee movie however.  Nice try.

Dd3RHk5U0AAG0Rb.jpg
It only uses up to 4 D batteries.  What a concept!

Oh yeah, of course there was the Virtual Boy from Nintendo and to be honest, it wasn't that bad and it actually saw the light of day in shelves before it was axed and Nintendo moved to better things.  I will just leave an old AVGN video to have you being informed because I just don't care to talk about VR anymore.

Enjoy the flashback
Edited by tthurman
<edit> Intentionally cut and pasted this due to some of the site content.

I recall them saying in an official statement that backers will have them by Thanksgiving.  They were held up because they couldn't get all the joysticks built due to outsourcing certain parts.  All of the consoles and joypad controllers had already been shipped overseas and were waiting final shipping from their warehouse.  They got the required parts in and were making the final sticks.  They said they would do an overnight/2-day ship from China to the US once all the backer orders for joysticks were completed.  Since it's not quite Thanksgiving yet, I'm still hopeful.  As far as the delays, they have been completely open and honest about the why's (just not the when's).  Covid-19 really shat on the world this year.

I am still looking forward to receiving it and putting through its paces. I hope it doesn't disappoint. 3+ years since the initial Indiegogo  opening and nothing to show than emails and excuses is a bit much.

I like how they teased everyone with pictures of consoles being assembled then pallets ready to ship...knowing that we would assume those boxes were full of ready to ship final product! That's intentionally misleading, if the joysticks weren't even assembled yet! The only reason to do that is to try and appease investors so they wouldn't sue.

So what was in the boxes? Obviously they weren't backer units.

F**king liars!

Man, I'd be so pissed if I had any money vested. They owe you more than a constant conveyor belt of placation and lies. This group of ATARI owners deserve to be sued into bankruptcy. The best thing than can happen to the ATARI brand is to be sold. It needs new ownership, one that respects it's value, it's fans, and is experienced in the gaming industry.

• Like 1

There are people out there who HAVE the console already.  They shipped out dev units like a month ago.  They have complete kits.  As it is right now, the joysticks are completed, they've been shipped, they're just waiting for customs.  They still have 2 days from their last announced commitment.

In order of likeliness:

1. You Finish reading war and peace.
  2. You achieve a perfect game of pac-man.
  3. You travel to Nepal, begin your journey on the path to enlightenment, and then actually achieve nirvana.
  4. Donald Trump has an epiphany, becomes a successful climate change philanthropist, and gets re-elected president in 2024 running as a democrat.
  5. ATARI VCS arrives at your front door (not in an earn)

I backed Atari VCS.  I used their Backerkit system to order an additional set of Joystick & Contemporary controllers.  As of today, I got an email from them saying my card has been charged and the shipment is getting prepared for final shipping.  Offered me to update my shipping address a few days ago, and again today.  Things are "appearing" to be moving forward.