All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Gameex AE launches...but wont launch MAME

wrd1972

Not sure whats going on. But I cant get either Gameex or AE to launch MAME. I have never had this issue in the past. It seemed to just easily setup and work out of the gate. So I must have jacked something up.

With respect to MAME.  MAME is absolutely working like it should. I can easily go directly to it and play any game I want with no issue. So I dont think thats the issue. But could be wrong.

Attaching Gameex log and ini.

I am also wanting to see how PinballX handles MAME. And I am having a similar issue there too. PBX wont launch MAME.

Attaching those as well.

Thanks

log.txt

GameEx.ini

log.txt

PinballX.ini

9 minutes ago, wrd1972 said:

I am also wanting to see how PinballX handles MAME. And I am having a similar issue there too. PBX wont launch MAME.

Attaching those as well.

Thanks

log.txt

GameEx.ini

log.txt

PinballX.ini

If you have not done so already, please open a separate thread for MAME via PinballX and include your pinballx.ini and log.txt files within the PinballX - General forum. Got to keep them separated. Thanks.

Has anything changed on your system, recent patches, etc.?

If you happen to be running 10, have any parts of the creators update been applied?

If this happened after a GameEx/PinballX update, then download the full installer, and try installing it over the top of itself.  This is how the patches are applied, so it shouldn't have any effect on your settings.  Disclaimer, it's always a good idea to have backups should something go south.

• Like 1

I actually did clean install of the W7 OS about a month ago. And downloaded the latest installers here last night. Still no go. Not aware of any recent changes that might be affecting this. I will try deactivating my Spyhunter and see what happens. But I already allowed it access when it prompted me. Doubt thats it though.

Can you confirm that the log and .ini look correct? Hopefully something will reveal itself there.

@wrd1972

Your GameEx log.txt file does not look like it captured an attempt to run a Mame game. Could you trying running one and post that log as well as the runitgame.bat found in the GameEx Arcade Edition\DATA folder.

Also, when you say Mame will not launch, could you describe what does happen on the screen (ie, Mame doesn't show up in the list at all, launching 1941 makes the screen go black for a moment and then it returns to GameEx, etc). For the moment, I do suggest sticking to one version for troubleshooting for the moment so things don't get confused (GameEx or GameEx Arcade Edition). Since you posted the Arcade Edition log, probably best to look at that first.

As for your configuration, as long as your Mame executable is located in C:\Emulators\Mame32 as your config indicates it should be ok.

This is probably nothing, but I did notice that you have no attributes set for your Mame in the Mame Options unde the Advanced Mame section. For example, I use -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo. This would not cause Mame to not work, but most people have something set up there. It makes me wonder if something might have happened to the config though.

.net  is in there due to having Visual Pinball. No on the LAV filters though...but will be added tonight. Paths are certainly correct.

Could you provide me the script to launch MAME from a DOS prompt...err the exact command that Gameex sends to Launch MAME?. I am not very good with DOS stuff so it would need to be detailed out for me a bit. But that and the filters sound like the next thing to try.

RD,

At the Gameex menu. I see the various games and any one can be selected. Once selected, a very breif loading string is displayed then vainshes and all that is left is a solid blue screen with a squarish MAME logo in the upper left corner. I can return to the menu though...sp Gameex is not locked up or anything like that.

I will try what you suggested tonight. I am curious to see if my spyhunter may be doing something weird. Using that is different from the past when I wss not using it. Yeah on the MAME options. I took those out for troubleshooting purposes. They certainly need to go back in.

Many thanks for your and the others assistance. I am eager to get this thing working again. Hopefully tonight for the kids.

@wrd1972 There really is no exact script. GameEx creates the 'script' on the fly as a game is launched and puts it in the runitgame.bat file. It then executes that file to launch the game. The file is built based on your Mame config, so making sure the path and executable name is correct is important.

The runitgame.bat looks fine and since you commented that it will launch the game, GameEx is obviously building it correctly.

There are some entries in the log that are vague:

07:18:57.5  6/21/2017:  Testing Main Loop Once: Processing Frame
07:18:57.8  6/21/2017:  Testing Main Loop Once: Main Loop ran successfully
07:19:18.1  6/21/2017:  0  -1
07:19:50.5  6/21/2017:  0  0
07:19:58.2  6/21/2017:  0  0
07:20:02.7  6/21/2017:  0  0
07:20:22.2  6/21/2017:  0  0

This is the first time I have noticed a 'Testing Main Loop' entry, so I am not sure what that is referring to. I did a search in the forums and did find the entries in other peopels logs, so I think it is just something in GameEx Arcade Edition that regular GameEx does not do. However, the entries after it are what bother me. It looks like something isn't reporting.

You mentioned that PinballX is also not launching Mame games. If it wasn't for that, I would have made the assumption that something could have gotten hosed during a GameEx Arcade Edition update and then I would suggest reinstalling GameEx Arcade over the existing install. However, since PinballX Mame is also not working, I would only suggest a reinstall of GameEx more as a last resort. I have a feeling somthing else is going on, but I am at a loss on what it is right now.

I assume that GameEx Arcade and PinballX are both pointing at the same Mame install and roms, correct?

A few random questions:

• What was the deal with Spyhunter that you felt you needed to disable it?
  • What Mame version are you running
  • What version is your rom set?
  • Have you tried upgrading your rom set or Mame after the Windows 7 reinstall?
  • Is Windows 7 fully up to date?

Yes both frontends are p[pointing to the same MAME location.

1. Merely ruling it out since on occasion, security suites can cause a glitch or two.

2. MAME .185

3. Not sure I understand the question. They were downloaded some time agao. But they all work correctly directly through MAME.

4. No upgrade to ROM set. Copy pasted the MAME folder directly from a backup drive from the system that crashed a month ago.

5. Yup.

Did an update list. At a glance, it appears to be working but dont close this till I confirm. I know I did update last night because doinf stuff during the lengthy process. I would also like to find the solution to making PBX launch MAME as well.

I have another wonky problem now. Will post a new thread for a joystick mapping issue.

2 hours ago, wrd1972 said:

2. MAME .185

3. Not sure I understand the question. They were downloaded some time agao. But they all work correctly directly through MAME.

If you are using a Mame v0.185 executable, your romset and supporting files should also be 0.185 if at all possible. This is for the best compatibility. I know that you said that you did not perform any updates or changes other than migrating the system a short while back, but the cause of this issue is not as obvious as what I would have expected. I felt it important to rule out some of the more common causes...so, on the off chance that you might have decided to use a newer version of Mame without updating the rom set or vice-versa and forgot, I thought best to ask.

It's so odd that the runitgame.bat is being build successfully by GameEx, but the launch of the game is faulting in some way. I have a feeling it may be something to do with Windows (maybe video or .net?; just guessing though).

59 minutes ago, wrd1972 said:

Did an update list. At a glance, it appears to be working but dont close this till I confirm. I know I did update last night because doinf stuff during the lengthy process. I would also like to find the solution to making PBX launch MAME as well.

Let us know if the games are launching after this latest Update List. If it is, this will lead into work in the PinballX thread you started.

I see you are working on the joystick issue, but is this issue resolved and are you ready to work on the PinballX/MAME issue? I'd like for us to put these two to bed before moving on to a third or fourth issue. Thanks!

Since a response does not appear to be forthcoming in regards to this issue as was requested, I am closing as resolved. If it recurs, a new thread will need to be opened and the requisite gameex.ini and log.txt files submitted along with details of the issue.

• Draco1962 changed the title to [RESOLVED] Gameex AE launches...but wont launch MAME
  • Draco1962 locked this topic