All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Microsoft announces Paint 3D

tthurman

9 hours ago, stigzler said:

They got too much time on their hands at the moment!?

Agreed.  Something like that, how much did it cost them to make it?  All those programmers... and they're not going to see a dime from a single consumer.  Just their usual paycheck.  And it's probably just some wage like $10.50/hour.  But their bosses/ceo of the department will probably get a nice big fat bonus.  I hate my pay by the way.  :)  But yeah, why spend all that "free time" writing a new version of Paint.. a software nobody uses.. and then just give it away.

Paint needed an update, it hadn't been relevant for a long time. With 3D printing becoming more attainable, it makes good business sense for them to invest in this. I'm actually surprised it took this long.

A 3D printer would be nice for my Pintendo/PiNES project.  I could print a mounting bracket for my Pi and hard drive.  :) Too bad that's just about the only thing I'd ever use it for.  It's too expensive, the refills are too expensive, it's too slow, and there's no need.  Nope, not on my "next gadget" list.  lol

8 hours ago, Adultery said:

Paint needed an update, it hadn't been relevant for a long time.

I used Paint yesterday at work to label a picture so people knew where to put things. Putting actual labels on the rack didn't work. A nice 8.5"x11" photo and my amazing Paint skills front and center of the rack seems to be doing the trick though. Half of the best memes are still made with Paint, too!

@hansolo77 3M automotive double sided tape, bro. That stuff has some serious hold and isn't conductive (not that many tapes are).

3D printer = Rapid prototyping, they're a hell of a tool. Plus there are all kinds of cool templates out there. 3D printer templates are like the new App, except after downloading you get to play with a real tangible doohickey.

Instead of an obsolete at release software, I'd rather they made a 3D application for VR headsets that allows users to "VRPaint" 3D objects in a more natural environment. I guess I don't see the point when there are better options out there. "Oh yea it came with windows...now how do I delete it for the extra space?"

5 minutes ago, Kustom Kid said:

I used Paint yesterday at work to label a picture so people knew where to put things. Putting actual labels on the rack didn't work. A nice 8.5"x11" photo and my amazing Paint skills front and center of the rack seems to be doing the trick though. Half of the best memes are still made with Paint, too!

I use pain.net

Way more options, easy to use, killer plugins available...and it's free...free...free!!!!!

I have and am periodically still trying to learn Gimp, but Frankly paint.net does it easier IMO. I hate photo$hop (notice the size of metaphorical S).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stigzler said:

Good points. thinking about it, I still use paint to covert jpgs to pngs. quickest.

Preferences I guess.

I set paint.net as my default image program, so when I double click (or right click open) an image it automatically opens into paint.net. From there it's just  File --> Save as --> Choose where and select the format in the drop down.Untitled.png

23 hours ago, Kustom Kid said:

@hansolo77 3M automotive double sided tape, bro. That stuff has some serious hold and isn't conductive (not that many tapes are).

@Kustom Kid - I don't want a permanent solution like that though, I want to be able to remove it without sticky residues.

@everybody else - I still use Photoshop.  It's easily the most powerful.  I can do everything on it.  I've taught myself how to use it.  The only reason I'd ever use Paint3D is if I had a real world need for it.  This seems like a niche program, and MS could have probably made a buck off of it by selling it to people who need a 3D "paint" application.  I think the last time I used Paint was when I was in grade school in the school library.  I created graffiti with the airbrush tool and a pattern fill that looked like bricks.  Just because I could.