All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Microsoft penny pinchers! Storing Updates on My pc for others on the internet

RIP-Felix

Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Delivery Optimization can’t be used to download or send personal content.

Have you guys seen this in windows 10? The default setting is to send updates to other PC's on the internet. Microslackers! If they want to offset bandwidth and storage costs from their servers, they should negotiate a cheaper deal rather than try to pull a fast one on the unsuspecting public by burring this breach of fair use beneath multiple obscure windows. Seriously it's burried deep in there. Settings --> Update and Security --> Advanced Options --> Choose How updates are delivered --> Updates from more than one place. Disable that Sh!&. How dare they? I should be paid for that bandwidth and storage space. So this is how they plan to pay for a free OS huh, making us seed it for them? Leachers!

Man I hate this crap. First thing I did when I installed windows 10 was scour the countless option menus in the control panel and new "all settings" to disable all possible privacy breaches and unsecure settings. Either they added this one in an update or I missed it the first few time through. Obviously they want us to have no security or privacy, since all the default options are to share everything. Who knew that privacy isn't profitable first, scammers or Microsoft? Oh wait, they're the same! I knew free was too good of a price. At least I can disable this stuff (if I can find it). Microsoft's new favorite Game, hide and seek (for the privacy breach).

I don't have as much of an issue with the process for other PCs on my network,  but frackin not other PCs on the Internet! 

This has been around since the first release. 

It's not just the storage and bandwidth that gets me, it's also the unnecessary CPU usage and read/write cycles. This idea no doubt save them a lot of money in strait up hardware cost, by passing the cost on to us. Their stuff lasts longer while ours dies faster. Excuse me, but my SSD has a finite number of read/write cycles and I don't feel like wasting them seeding windows updates for everyone else on the internet. Aparently too the updates are often in the middle of the night when you're sleeping. The computer can wake up from full shutdown and begin zombie seeding. This is not the Zombie apocalypse I envisioned, and not from a legit source. 

Oh, and like I believe that it "can't be used to download or send personal content." Sounds like they're challenging hackers, and I don't feel like getting hit by a ricochet.