All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Steam - No Games Found

r3b0rn

Hi All,

I have been using GameEx for a while and love it! I have 20 or so systems configured and working. I am however having difficulty getting steam to work correctly. I have a custom menu for steam and when i select it it reads " - No Games Found -" Sometimes before going into the menu it will say 25 items under steam and other times it will be empty. Regardless when entering the steam menu it always lists no games. I have Steam enabled, automatic login/logout enabled, and have verified my account information inside of the setup wizard.

Can someone point me in the right direction :)

Thanks!

Please provide copies of your gameex.ini and log.txt files as these are required in order for us to try to help you sort this issue. Click on the GameEx How to ask for help link in my signature for instructions on how to locate and submit these for our review. Thanks!

Also, in order for the Steam function to work in GameEx you'll need to have an "Active" Steam account.

To make a Steam account truly active, you'll need to purchase at least one game, and be "online" for 30 days. After this, Steam will switch your account from temp to permanent. Of course you don't need to be online for this to happen - it's Valve's way of keeping temporary tags/ID's/rogues down to a minimum. Much like with freebie Live tags and temp PSN accounts.

You can however instantly make your account active by buying premium content from the Steam Store. Purchase any AAA game or otherwise stated premium content and you will get instant account switch (even in sales!).

Remember though, GameEx works flawlessly with Steam, as long as you have an Active Steam account ;)

• Like 1

I notice that you have the following setting enabled (meaning GameEx will start and login to Steam when a game is launched):

LoginToSteam=True

If Steam is not running at the same time as GameEx, it's possible that GameEx is not 'seeing' your Steam games. What happens if you start Steam before starting GameEx and leave it running? Does the same thing happen? Do you have a fairly sizable Steam library? It might be worth while to explicitly running GameEx as administrator to see if that makes a difference (i.e. specifically right click on GameEx and select "Run as administrator").

Reply i have tried both... meaning having automatic login disabled, having steam already loaded, etc. Right now i have auto login enabled and steam set to load automatically. I have only 20 or so games. I have not tried running explicitly as admin. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Hey r3born,

How many Steam game folders do you have on your setup?

For instance, the default folder is 'Steam' while secondary installation folders are called 'SteamLibrary'.

I seam to recall a time not long ago where GameEx was unable to pick up game installs in SteamLibrary folders. I don't know if the issue was resolved or not. For some reason I recall that the problem was actually on the Steam side of things...Tom is also pretty good about resolving GameEx issues, so I doubt he would let it go for long if he could help it.

Have you had any problems running games via Steam outside of GameEx? Have you attempted either downloading and installing GameEx again over your current install or uninstalling/reinstalling Steam? Your log.txt file shows:

17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Checking if Steam enabled17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Steam is installed correctly17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Found Steam Base Install Folder: c:/program files (x86)/steam17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Invalid or filtered path: 17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Invalid or filtered path: 17:07:20.7  1/7/2016:  Invalid or filtered path:

I believe that may be an issue. When it is suggested to install over the current you should do just that. If you are concerned about your setup, it is recommended to back it up. Installing again on a different drive may cause other issues.

You might try cleaning the Steam data files so that GameEx regenerates them on it's next run:

...GameEx\DATA\EMU_1002.dbcache.ini

...GameEx\DATA\steamdata.ini

Also, I found a similar thread from last year. If regenerating the Steam data files does not help, you might try this:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/14157-resolved-gameex-and-steam-games-list/#entry118219

For that person, it was indeed something in the steam install that caused the problem. They used a 'Save and Restore' function on each game which in turn caused it to be visible to GameEx. That 'Save and Restore' function is no longer in Steam, but you might choose a small game and do a Backup, Delete the Local Content, and then restore the Backup. Maybe it will resolve it.

• Like 2

OK. The first part did not work. What i wound up doing is uninstalling steam, and installing to a new location "D:\Steam" and redownloading 1 game. That worked. I think i will just redownload all the games tonight (I did make a backup but i will play it safe). Thanks all!

• Like 1