All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameStop Trade-In Value

hansolo77

I posted this on Facebook, not sure how many of you guys are friends with me...

So apparently, GameStop is being very CHEAP with their console trade in value. I was going to take my 360 in and trade up for a One. Turns out all they will offer me (according to their website) is $16 if I sell it to them, or $20 if I trade it. WTF kinda trade is that? I figure I can put a modchip in this 360 and sell it on eBay for $300 or so. I mean, that's insane. I think I'd rather just keep my 360 and keep playing the games that aren't on the One's backwards compatible list. If it was $50, I might consider it, but it should be worth more than that. It still has the clear plastic anti-scratch film on it. This reminds me of when my brother traded his complete Sega Genesis, SegaCD, Sega 32x system with like 25 games (including mine without asking) and got $10 bucks for the whole thing towards a Playstation 1 (valued at the time at $299).

As I see it, stores like GameStop will close for good in the not so distant future. This year new PC game purchases via downloads were higher vs. In store purchases. Consoles will eventually shed the need for physical media.

IMO you're far better off to keep the system anyway. It's nearly impossible to get anything near what you've got in it. Ebay, yeah, assuming you're lucky enough to get a good buyer, but that's a crap-shoot at best, then the games still end up being more like bonus material to the buyer.

I dunno, I used to give my old systems, namely my NES and SNES, to my cousin who never has had much, and to me there was much more value to me in it this way. Obviously from some of my old posts here you can see I kept my XBOX original. In find the PC to be the ultimate gaming machine, personally. :)

I'm just shocked that they have such a low buy/trade value and then turn them around for a huge profit. I checked their website, they'll sell my box for $80-140 depending on certain factors. That's a 200% markup.I could bottom cut them and sell on eBay for $60 and still make more money than selling to them. It's just unbelievable that around this time last year they were probably selling around $250.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-360/systems?nav=28-xp0,1385-c4

They still sell brand new in box systems for $200.

Give it to the goodwill and deduct it as a charitable contribution. Or just l keep it. I can't seem to let go of any of my old consoles. I still have my Genisis, NES, gameboy, PS1 and etc, mainly to validate my emulation. I don't go much further back than remembering when you could find Atari's at the Goodwill. I still have one, but it broke. I actually found a $25 PS3 that just needed cleaning and new Thermal paste, good times at the goodwill.

Deductions usually help towards reducing the amount of tax one has to pay out to the IRS and generally require submission of an itemized form. If the IRS owes you, usually they do not work out for adding more to what you will get back.