All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

An Important Question

nullPointer

So we've talked from time to time about naming our computers. It's a time honored tradition and as such we give our computers thoughtful names reflecting our adoration (or disdain) for each individual machine.

Recently the PSU in my main gaming computer gave up the ghost and fizzled spectacularly with a loud farting noise and a cloud of pungent electric ozone. "No problem, and most importantly don't panic" I told myself. After a quick trip to Amazon, a new 850W PSU was winging it's way to me.

Fast forward a couple of days and well ... the new PSU won't fit in my case. (The backstory here is that my current "gaming computer" was originally intended for life as an HTPC at one point. Finally I stopped kidding myself, slapped a laptop under the TV as an HTPC, and the former "HTPC project" graduated to becoming my full time gaming PC. To make the long story a bit longer, it's a mATX form factor in a rather diminutive case ... and there's no way this new PSU will fit).

As luck would have it, the very next day Amazon was running a Gold Box special on Corsair components including the new Graphite 600T case that is being shipped to me as I write this.

So here's the important question ... the guts of my computer will remain largely unchanged, but the outside will be radically altered, moving from a mAtx cube to a mid-tower. So is it appropriate to rename my computer at this juncture?

Discuss.

I renamed my server to Valhalla once I changed the mobo, but I guess that was really more of a netBios thing. :)

My Windows machines don't get names per se... HP Basement, Dev LT, Wife LT... Well except MegaMAME. But that's a cabinet. So to make a long story short... The name doesn't matter as much as what's in it. Lol :)

That being said, you should name it Phoenix since it is rising from the ashes quite literally. :)

I used to try and name mine at least something semi creative, yep one was ToddZilla....but it quickly became another cumbersome detail, so then they became identified by the motherboards. I still have Maximus, mostly for email, logo hunting and file storage, the but with that, the creative names sort of ended for me....my GameEx rig is M-ulator :blush:

That said, I like Adultery's idea, seems fitting.

On a side note, I purchased a Corsair 400R for an unbelievable deal in the spring to piece together a Core2Duo machine to test and troubleshoot on. It's affectionately known as "400R". Just had a better ring than GA-EP45-UD3P :lol: I'm betting you going to love the case you bought, I was really impressed....they are super sweet!

Edited by tthurman
Classic names in that thread 8-)

My Wifi is named Thunderdome (as in Mad Max Beyond...), My gaming PC is named Marvin (aka Marvin the Martian), my laptop is named K9 (Marvin's Martian's dog), and the eventual server will probably be named TARDIS. Nothing wierd here.

Awesome suggestions guys! I asked in jest, but I really am on the fence. The old PC was named partly due to the appearance of the old case, so I really am thinking I'll rename it.

Interestingly enough I was starting up Assassin's Creed: Revelations when the PSU died in dramtic fashion. I'm sure it's only a loose correlation, but the old PSU really did go up within a split second of starting up the game. The new case is colored white and black with red (and white) accent LEDs on the case fans. Although I've always thought white cases look sorta snazzy, it's not likely it would have been my first choice if not for the sale price. But based on the serendipitous color scheme, and the fact that the PC was "assassinated" by the venerable assassin himself, I'm thinking the (kinda, sorta) new(ish) build will be called Ezio. :)

8.jpg200px-AC_Ezio.png

Awesome suggestions guys! I asked in jest, but I really am on the fence. The old PC was named partly due to the appearance of the old case, so I really am thinking I'll rename it.

Interestingly enough I was starting up Assassin's Creed: Revelations when the PSU died in dramtic fashion. I'm sure it's only a loose correlation, but the old PSU really did go up within a split second of starting up the game. The new case is colored white and black with red (and white) accent LEDs on the case fans. Although I've always thought white cases look sorta snazzy, it's not likely it would have been my first choice if not for the sale price. But based on the serendipitous color scheme, and the fact that the PC was "assassinated" by the venerable assassin himself, I'm thinking the (kinda, sorta) new(ish) build will be called Ezio. :)

8.jpg200px-AC_Ezio.png

+1 to Ezio

My Wifi is named Thunderdome (as in Mad Max Beyond...), My gaming PC is named Marvin (aka Marvin the Martian), my laptop is named K9 (Marvin's Martian's dog), and the eventual server will probably be named TARDIS. Nothing wierd here.

WTH happened to Mr. Beefy :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought an i7-4790K, Geforce GTX 970, and a HTPC case I hope will contain the blazing speed demon within. So, I guess I’m taking names too.

I like the Phoenix also. How about Phoenix Caladrius, after the mythical snow white bird capable of curing sickness, and in this case rising from it's own ashes after being assinated as well. When your sick, you can go to her and she will cure you with her refreshing gaming magic. Or whenever your in need of having your mood lifted.