All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Old Cab Setup Question

Dal1980

Hi guys, stupid question but I've been looking through the threads on everyone's cab setups and something flashed in my mind about some of the arcade machines I spent time with down the 'cades'. Did some of them not have their CRT's facing up from underneith with mirrors to project an image at the player(s)?

If so two questions come from that, why does it look like no-ones done that in their setup?

And

What was the advantages of having this type of system over straight-on CRT viewing?

Cheers

Dal

Just thinking about it I would think - from a home build point of view - that it would be a lot of work for very, very little reward. Aside from someone wanting a "perfect re-creation" I don't see why anyone would do this.

I dunno. Maybe someone who's actually done it or worked with these cabinets could explain it.

Haha pretty cool!

This doesn't have anything to do with the standard method I'm on about but it's a great demo on how mirrors can create cool effects.

Maybe the arcade machines had heat issues which is why they are at the top looking down? Just a thought

Yes, it's a bit off the beaten path from what you were thinking, but after lots of cabinet research for the last couple years, it's exactly what your topic triggered in my mind.

Can you imagine what might have been if someone had this vision in the early 80's......games like TRON, woah!

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my God did Time Traveler eat a lot of my quarters.

On topic I do remember games that had mirrors. I'll be damned if I can remember any specific game though. Operation: Wolf maybe?

Edit: Looking online Operation: Wolf did have a mirrored display. The reason they did it was to give an illusion of distance to the display.

Kustom Kid, that's probably the best explanation of the use of some mirrors I've had. Doesn't explain the standard type I've seen that just use the sticks but then again these things were probably all chopped and changed around so much they may have just used a different game board inside a machine that used to be operation wolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk