All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Problem with all emulators except Mame

Maikerbushi

I'm having problems with every emulator apart from Mame.

GameEx sees the roms and populates the menu screens perfectly with snapshots and art. However when the game is selected, the screen fades then instantly fades back up in the the GameEx menu.

The emulator works perfectly outside of GameEx, and with Hyperspin, Maximus and RetroFE.

Here's my ini for Genesis/Megadrive.

GameEx Support File Data
[Emulator]
DownloadID=207
CDCheckFile=
CDCheck=False
RandomMostPlayed=True
ShowMostPlayed=True
PlayInScreenSaver=False
GamesIn7Zips=False
PCGame=False
SelectionMusicFolder=
PlaySelectionMusic=False
DontShowInfo=
PlayMusic=False
CustomBackground=
ExcludedFiles=
LaunchAfter=
LaunchBefore=
OLDatZip=
AlsoLaunch=
Debug=False
ShowDesktop=False
RemoveBrackets=True
Capitals=False
ReplaceUnder=True
ReplaceDash=False
SendKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
MapKeys=True
WorkingPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Emulators\Megadrive\Fusion
ControlPanelPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Emulators\Megadrive\Fusion
ManualPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Emulators\Megadrive\Fusion\Manuals
CartPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Media\Megadrive\Images\Artwork4
BoxPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Media\Megadrive\Images\Artwork3
TitlePath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Media\Megadrive\Images\Wheel
SnapPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Emulators\Megadrive\Fusion\Snaps
RomPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Emulators\Megadrive\Roms
MapFile=
ConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
Database=
RomFilter=
Command=Fusion.exe -gen -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"
StartPageLogo=Sega Genesis
StartPageName=[Console] Sega Genesis (Fusion)
TitleText=Sega Megadrive
Info=Fusion(formerly known as Kega II and Kega Fusion) is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator
RequiredFiles=
DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/Fusion.7z
Rating=8.9
Version=3.64
Emulator=Fusion
Category=Console
System=Sega Genesis
Enabled=True
VideoSnapPath=C:\Users\Noddy\Desktop\Hyperspin\Media\Sega Genesis\Video
lastgame=
excludedfileswithnames=;|-| ;;|-| ;

Pretty sure if I get to the bottom of what's causing this issue then I can easily fix the other emulators because they all exhibit the same issue.

Will you do me a favor Maikerbushi? Please attempt to run one of your problematic emulators (the Fusion example above would be just fine), and then do the following:

B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"

Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Run Last Game, and Right click on the icon, and choose "Edit". If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)

Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:
Ctrl + "A" (select all)
Ctrl + "C" (copy)
Ctrl + "V" (paste)

It will look something like this, however, the contents will vary depending on the last emulator that was run in GameEx.

@ECHO OFF

C:
CD "C:\Program Files\Mame0127"
mame.exe 005 -rompath "D:\Mame 0.128 roms"

One way to troubleshoot a problem is to add the word "Pause" at the end of the Runitgame.bat file. When Windows asks "Do you want to save the changes..." Click on "Save". Next, double click on the "Run Last Game" Icon in the Start Menu. This will send the commands again, but the command window will remain open. It may show an error that will help you to understand what is wrong.

If you get this error:
'Emulator name.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
It means that either you have the incorrect name specified for your Emulator.exe, or your working path is incorrect.

If it gives an error that you don't understand, please let us know that you tried this method, and let us know what the error is.
  • Like 1

Will you do me a favor Maikerbushi? Please attempt to run one of your problematic emulators (the Fusion example above would be just fine), and then do the following:

Perfect, the path was wrong. For some reason GameEx added /Fusion to the end of the path without me realizing. Very odd.

That tip helped me isolate the issue, many thanks. Haven't checked the other emulators but I suspect it's exactly the same problem.

Nice man! Strange about the additional level being added to to your paths, but all's well that ends well I suppose. Glad to hear you got it all worked out. Well done!

I think it may have happened on initial installations as it's added additional levels to the paths for other emulators as well. Not sure why but I've obviously missed checking a box somewhere.

By the way is there a good WINUAE Loader/WHDLoad tutorial anywhere? I'm desperate to get Amiga set up (my favourite computer) and I just can't work out how it works within GameEx.